Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Difference in SS/Z28?

This is a discussion on Difference in SS/Z28? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by jigger1166 It's hard to say what it's worth, especially without the matching numbers engine. The question is....what ...

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    It's hard to say what it's worth, especially without the matching numbers engine. The question is....what are you willing to pay? If it's in good cond..I wouldn't hesitate to pay $7000-8000 for it. After there's an engine in it, it would be worth over $10,000 to me.
    I offered the man $5000 for the car about a month ago, he said that he would think about it. I am going back to see him today and offer him $6000, would probably give him $7000 if that is what it takes to get it. The only reason that I don't want to put much more than this in the car is because I want to fix it back right. But I have to say the body of the car and the interior are in excellent original condition. The car originally came with a vinyl top but he removed the vinyl top and left the chrome trim on the car. What is unusual is that there is no rust whatsoever on this car and it has never been repainted. I am definitely going to change the color if I manage to buy the car though, it is dark green and I do not like that color at all.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    I have a 98 Z28, but liked the looks of the SS. So I was looking at them on Ebay. Then I found a 2000 SS vert. with 91,000 miles and a small dent in the right quarter for $9800. I checked the book price and found it booked for$12,000. I know the SS's will be worth more than the Z28's years from now, and a SS vert., even more. So, I bought it.
    Good deal......M6 or A4?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    And for those of you who don't think that I know what I am talking about, I checked and you could order a Z28/SS optioned car back in 1969. It was a Z28 with additional SS options just like the Z28/RS was a Z28 with RS options.
    I'd like to know where you obtained this information. While you are correct about the Z28/RS option you are incorrect about the Z28/SS with regard to 67-69 Camaros. Although you could order various interior and exterior trim levels for any car the Z28 and SS were entirely different engine packages. Z28 = 302, SS = 350 or 396. They even used different redline tachs.

BTW: I don't need to check for this info as I happen to have been around when these cars were new. Hell, I even have the original sales brouchures that I picked up at the dealer for the 69 Chevrolet MY.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 05-05-2007 at 10:17 AM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    when i was a teen i got to ride in a 69 frekin awesome it had the 302 engine
    When I was a teen one of my friends (he was 20) purchased a 69 Vert Pace Car (350/4-speed) that he still has today. My cousin was given a 69 RS/SS (350/TH400) as a Christmas present (it was 1969 and he was 16 - my uncle was filthy rich). This is when I started working on and learning about modding cars. We turned a high 14 second car into a low 11 second car (all it took was $3,000 in 1970 dollars along with a little blood and sweat). Back in the day in LA you could "run whatcha brung" @ Lion's Drag Strip on Wed's and Fri's. We were there every Friday for almost year testing and tuning. It was a great learning experience.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    When I was a teen one of my friends (he was 20) purchased a 69 Vert Pace Car (350/4-speed) that he still has today. My cousin was given a 69 RS/SS (350/TH400) as a Christmas present (it was 1969 and he was 16 - my uncle was filthy rich). This is when I started working on and learning about modding cars. We turned a high 14 second car into a low 11 second car (all it took was $3,000 in 1970 dollars along with a little blood and sweat). Back in the day in LA you could "run whatcha brung" @ Lion's Drag Strip on Wed's and Fri's. We were there every Friday for almost year testing and tuning. It was a great learning experience.
    things have really changed....when i was a teen all kinds of fast cars rode around town of course gas was .70 a gallon, fines not as strict

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i have a z28. it had 54,000 miles for 10,900. this was a no brainer. in the end, its all about the condition of the engine, suspension, and drive train. some of you are arguing without intention, because i know for a fact if i could have gotten an ss with similar miles for say 12,000k i would have jumped on it. the ss, as stated, carry a higher premium because they arent a dime a dozen like the z. you pay for alittle extra and alittle exclusivity. how much MORE you pay for this is totally your call. it is agreed that the performance difference is slight between the 2, but saying they are identical is kind of dumb. if you lined up same year, same trans, same milage, the ss would, in theory, win by a small margin. it isnt totally an appearance premium you pay for. i will totatlly agree that the ss is better looking, but if you end up with a z, an ss spoiler is about 125 bucks on ebay. you can go that route. sure i wish i had an ss. but my z does just fine, because in the end, im going to modify. if i had an slp ss, it would be more shit i would have to take off. so for a guy like me, having a base model (almost) z28 is just what i need.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i have a z28. it had 54,000 miles for 10,900. this was a no brainer. in the end, its all about the condition of the engine, suspension, and drive train. some of you are arguing without intention, because i know for a fact if i could have gotten an ss with similar miles for say 12,000k i would have jumped on it. the ss, as stated, carry a higher premium because they arent a dime a dozen like the z. you pay for alittle extra and alittle exclusivity. how much MORE you pay for this is totally your call. it is agreed that the performance difference is slight between the 2, but saying they are identical is kind of dumb. if you lined up same year, same trans, same milage, the ss would, in theory, win by a small margin. it isnt totally an appearance premium you pay for. i will totatlly agree that the ss is better looking, but if you end up with a z, an ss spoiler is about 125 bucks on ebay. you can go that route. sure i wish i had an ss. but my z does just fine, because in the end, im going to modify. if i had an slp ss, it would be more shit i would have to take off. so for a guy like me, having a base model (almost) z28 is just what i need.

good points ! both cars are fast and cool, i raced a z28 around the same year as my ss 2001 and beat him by 2 cars in the 1/8. but really cars that close could easily be determined by driver as could any race no matter what 2 cars are being raced....bottom line camaros rule mustangs suck

white
    2002 z28

dumb question and im 99% sure i know the anwsere but i seen some 4th gen f bodies that have the Z28-SS badges on it was there really???????

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    dumb question and im 99% sure i know the anwsere but i seen some 4th gen f bodies that have the Z28-SS badges on it was there really???????
    If you are talking about exterior badging, only a couple of the 1996 SS preproduction prototype/press photo cars were labeled as such.

1996 was the only model year that the SS was marketed by SLP as a "Z28 SS".

All 1996 SS cars had a "Z28 SS" labeled console plaque, and also came with 2 key fobs labeled the same (provided the dealers didn't steal them first). These items also contained the cars SLP build number. No other model year had the build number included on the SS plaques or key fobs. As for additional SLP options, you could also get a car cover and floor mats that were labeled "Z28 SS" (which I have).

In addition, the 1996 airbox filter frame was labeled "Z28 SS". Some of these airbox filter frames were used on the earlier 1997 SS, but eventually gave way to ones that were labeled "Camaro SS".

SLP marketed the 1997 cars as a "Camaro SS". The optional car cover and floor mats were marked the same.

From 1998 to 2002, Chevrolet took over the marketing of the SS cars and described them in the standard Camaro brochures. The SS cars still went to SLP for the hood fitment and other SS goodies. The 1996 and 1997 model year SS was not even mentioned in the standard Camaro brochures.
    Vance Chula
    1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
    2010 Camaro 2LT RS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula

Silver
    02 Z28

not an overall better performance value since it's price tag was approx 5k more, but none the less more performance. I would have loved to get a SS but was lucky enough to at least get my hands on a nice Z.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Good deal......M6 or A4?
    It's an A4.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'd like to know where you obtained this information. While you are correct about the Z28/RS option you are incorrect about the Z28/SS with regard to 67-69 Camaros. Although you could order various interior and exterior trim levels for any car the Z28 and SS were entirely different engine packages. Z28 = 302, SS = 350 or 396. They even used different redline tachs.

BTW: I don't need to check for this info as I happen to have been around when these cars were new. Hell, I even have the original sales brouchures that I picked up at the dealer for the 69 Chevrolet MY.
    Guess what??? I was around when these cars were new too. Do you think anyone on this forum would think that the redline on the tachs would be the same for the 302 vs 350 vs 396....I don't think so!! But u could order a 69 Camaro Z28 with SS options, but you always got the 302 engine in the Z28.....that is what I was trying to say.

BTW: The information can be obtained from GM.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Was the power steering cooler a "SS" exclusive or was it available on the Z28 in the 98-02 era?

Guess what??? I was around when these cars were new too. Do you think anyone on this forum would think that the redline on the tachs would be the same for the 302 vs 350 vs 396....I don't think so!! But u could order a 69 Camaro Z28 with SS options, but you always got the 302 engine in the Z28.....that is what I was trying to say.

BTW: The information can be obtained from GM.
    Actually yes the redlines were the same between the 302 and the 396 if you ordered the 396/375 hp option. I had 2 of those over the years (SS 396/375 hp, and one 69 Z) and they came with the same 6,000 rpm redline tach that the 302 Z28's did.
    The 396/350 hp cars as well as the 350/300 hp cars got the 5000 (or there abouts) redline tach. This used to be a quick way to determine a "fake" high HP car over a low po car,,,looking at the redline on the tach was an indicator of what engine the car may have come with originally,,,unfortunately all these tachs are reproduced now so it's all to easy to switch, and no longer a sure fire way to tell.

I don't know that I would call the options "SS options" though,,,as all the options were available even on base model 307 camaro's as well. Larry.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-07-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Was the power steering cooler a "SS" exclusive or was it available on the Z28 in the 98-02 era?
    The power steering cooler was part of the package on the SS and WS6 cars for sure,,,but that doesn't mean it's possible to order that on a plain Z or T/A. I have seen stranger things. Maybe someone will chime in on this one.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Actually yes the redlines were the same between the 302 and the 396 if you ordered the 396/375 hp option. I had 2 of those over the years (SS 396/375 hp, and one 69 Z) and they came with the same 6,000 rpm redline tach that the 302 Z28's did.
    The 396/350 hp cars as well as the 350/300 hp cars got the 5000 (or there abouts) redline tach. This used to be a quick way to determine a "fake" high HP car over a low po car,,,looking at the redline on the tach was an indicator of what engine the car may have come with originally,,,unfortunately all these tachs are reproduced now so it's all to easy to switch, and no longer a sure fire way to tell.

I don't know that I would call the options "SS options" though,,,as all the options were available even on base model 307 camaro's as well. Larry.
    Well everybody has their own opinions.....for instance I call the SS hood a SS option. I also know that the base Camaro could be ordered with these options. Hell, even today if you have enough money or if you are a celebrity you can get about what you want on any production car. Now I will take a 2008 Camaro Z28/RS/SS with every available option. Sounds good to me!!

Well everybody has their own opinions.....for instance I call the SS hood a SS option. I also know that the base Camaro could be ordered with these options. Hell, even today if you have enough money or if you are a celebrity you can get about what you want on any production car. Now I will take a 2008 Camaro Z28/RS/SS with every available option. Sounds good to me!!
    The SS hood (buldge with louvers) was part of the SS package, not an extra cost option,,,but you could order the cowl induction hood on the SS as an extra cost option.
    On the 69 Z28 you either got a plain flat hood (standard equipment on the Z28) or you could order,,,,again,,,,,the extra cost optional cowl hood.
    None of this is opinion,,,it's the way it was.

If I understand you correctly, I think you are referring to all the standard SS equipment as optional when in fact it was all part of the SS package,,,the entire package had an RPO code and was an extra cost option over the base camaro. From there you could add extra cost options individually like for instance, folding rear seat, rear defrost, tilt wheel, console, vinyl top, deluxe interior, or deluxe houndstooth interior,,,,all of which was available on base model camaros as well. Of course there are many options I am leaving out but you get the idea.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The SS hood (buldge with louvers) was part of the SS package, not an extra cost option,,,but you could order the cowl induction hood on the SS as an extra cost option.
    On the 69 Z28 you either got a plain flat hood (standard equipment on the Z28) or you could order,,,,again,,,,,the extra cost optional cowl hood.
    None of this is opinion,,,it's the way it was.

If I understand you correctly, I think you are referring to all the standard SS equipment as optional when in fact it was all part of the SS package,,,the entire package had an RPO code and was an extra cost option over the base camaro. From there you could add extra cost options individually like for instance, folding rear seat, rear defrost, tilt wheel, console, vinyl top, deluxe interior, or deluxe houndstooth interior,,,,all of which was available on base model camaros as well. Of course there are many options I am leaving out but you get the idea.
    Larry, you are correct in all of your comments above.....the SS package did indeed have a RPO code and was an extra cost option over the base Camaro. The Z28 did come with a flat hood or you could order the optional cowl hood. But what I am trying to say is......back in 1969 a friend of mine ordered a hugger orange 69 Z28, 302 4 spd as you know. He did not want the flat hood or the cowl hood because he preferred the look of the SS hood. I do not know if this was a special order or what from the dealer but he got what he wanted. I guess what I am trying to say is that you could get what you wanted if you had the money. If I understand you correctly you are trying to say that this was not standard practice and I agree.....you are correct. Sorry for the confusion. Craig

Oh ok, I understand what you are saying now Sometimes it's hard to explain things on these computers and I have a tough time myself. Cheers.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i suppose its time for the moral of the story....

just make sure you get something with an LSx.

thats all she wrote.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information