Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Difference in SS/Z28?

This is a discussion on Difference in SS/Z28? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I can't believe that people are argueing over the camaro. I think most people miss the whole point of the ...

I can't believe that people are argueing over the camaro. I think most people miss the whole point of the SS option, it was never so much about more power, but came with many other upgraded parts that set it apart from the average Z28 just like Blackdeath stated.
    You can't compare a modded Z28 to a stock SS,,,,thats like comparing apples to oranges. One has been messed with and the other has not.
    There is more to the SS than just a hood and spoiler.
    The SS will be more collectable in the future, people that own them know it,,,which is why they still command premium prices, and probably always will.
    I currently own a standard Z28 and an SS. Yes I like the SS better but not because of the hood or spoiler, I couldn't care less about that,,,I just like that fact that it's the real deal, and it's different from most camaros running around. Everytime I turn the corner I can see a standard Z28, hell they are parked all over the place,,,,,,but I rarely see an SS running around.
    It's silly to sit here and debate which is better, it's really a matter of personal taste and what you can afford.
    Who cares if you mod a standard Z28 and make it faster,,,thats not the point. Both cars respond in the same manor, thats not the real issue here. The real difference is collectability, resale value, the fact that you own a little bit of history that probably won't be repeated if you have an SS. It has nothing to do with HP numbers or my car is faster than your car So what,,,my SS chevelle will smoke my SS camaro and I have alot less money in that car than I do in the Camaro, doesn't prove anything. You can throw enough money at any car and make it fast,,,,woopie Larry.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I can't believe that people are argueing over the camaro. I think most people miss the whole point of the SS option, it was never so much about more power, but came with many other upgraded parts that set it apart from the average Z28 just like Blackdeath stated.
    You can't compare a modded Z28 to a stock SS,,,,thats like comparing apples to oranges. One has been messed with and the other has not.
    There is more to the SS than just a hood and spoiler.
    The SS will be more collectable in the future, people that own them know it,,,which is why they still command premium prices, and probably always will.
    I currently own a standard Z28 and an SS. Yes I like the SS better but not because of the hood or spoiler, I couldn't care less about that,,,I just like that fact that it's the real deal, and it's different from most camaros running around. Everytime I turn the corner I can see a standard Z28, hell they are parked all over the place,,,,,,but I rarely see an SS running around.
    It's silly to sit here and debate which is better, it's really a matter of personal taste and what you can afford.
    Who cares if you mod a standard Z28 and make it faster,,,thats not the point. Both cars respond in the same manor, thats not the real issue here. The real difference is collectability, resale value, the fact that you own a little bit of history that probably won't be repeated if you have an SS. It has nothing to do with HP numbers or my car is faster than your car So what,,,my SS chevelle will smoke my SS camaro and I have alot less money in that car than I do in the Camaro, doesn't prove anything. You can throw enough money at any car and make it fast,,,,woopie Larry.
    Damn right......I agree totally. I own a Z/28 and an SS also. I like my SS better because of the above mentioned reasons but that doesn't mean that I don't like the Z/28, it is a hell of a car also.

niterydr
    2002 SS Camaro M6
    1995 Z/28 vert A4
    1957 Chevy Pro St M4

NATRALLY ASPIRATED 495 HP TASWEET SS's Avatar

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

the 315-35r-17 fit and look killer on a 10 inch rim with a rolled lip

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

I started with a '95 z28 but I have always wanted an SS so I bought an SS, when I was finally able to afford it. It's a collectors car IMO since they are no longer made and i have all of my stock parts to convert her back if i should ever decide to sell it someday...

To me the real difference between a z28 and an SS is personal preference...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Larry makes great points in his post and I agree with him.

For anyone that thinks that the SS has always been the premium package compared to the Z28, they need to do some research on the history of the Camaro. In '69, with both the SS and Z28 options available, the Z28 package was the more desired, prestigous package of the two, not the SS version.

I am flattered, thanks for that. I hope people don't take that the wrong way,,,I am just puzzled that we are all F-body people on here but yet we have to bicker about which model is better

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I am flattered, thanks for that. I hope people don't take that the wrong way,,,I am just puzzled that we are all F-body people on here but yet we have to bicker about which model is better
    I don't understand either but to each their own.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

could not agree more!!!

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

For anyone that thinks that the SS has always been the premium package compared to the Z28, they need to do some research on the history of the Camaro. In '69, with both the SS and Z28 options available, the Z28 package was the more desired, prestigous package of the two, not the SS version.
    Not trying to keep the bickering ongoing but..... in 1969 you could order your car several different ways. If you ordered the standard SS package or the standard Z28 package, then yes you are correct about the Z28 being the more desired car. But you could also get a Z28/SS package which is what the last SS Camaros built truly were. This special order was the more desired package over the stock Z28. Just stating a fact so please do not think that I am bitchin about which car is better. I think that the Z28 and SS are both great cars.

To elaborate more on that subject, the Z28 was only available with an extra cost RS option from 67-73 with one engine available. The SS was a different package back then and had a very large engine option list to go with it, depending on years, the drivetrains varied and great deal, and the RS package was also available on the SS as an extra cost option. You could even skip the SS package and just order an RS package,,,you had a ton of choices back then. Unfortunately that has been taken away from us.

Nowadays, the 4th gens all included the same drivetrain packages for the most part between SS and Z28 but had more subtle differences.
    But yes I agree, they are all great cars that I see no reason to bicker over.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

To elaborate more on that subject, the Z28 was only available with an extra cost RS option from 67-73 with one engine available. The SS was a different package back then and had a very large engine option list to go with it, depending on years, the drivetrains varied and great deal, and the RS package was also available on the SS as an extra cost option. You could even skip the SS package and just order an RS package,,,you had a ton of choices back then. Unfortunately that has been taken away from us.

Nowadays, the 4th gens all included the same drivetrain packages for the most part between SS and Z28 but had more subtle differences.
    But yes I agree, they are all great cars that I see no reason to bicker over.
    You are correct....I should of said RS instead of SS.....thanks for setting me straight (haha). I have a question that you may can answer for me.....I have a 2002 SS, one of the last couple hundred built with basically all of the SLP options. I was wondering how is the easiest way to tell if I have the LS6 block and is there any advantages of having the LS6 block vs the LS1 block?

Thanks,
    niterydr

Ya there is a casting number on the back of the block just below the driver side cylinder head.

LS6 block is #12561168

It's very hard to see. I even tried mirrors and such with no luck. I gave up until I actually had my transmission out for a rear main seal leak. Then it was easy to see.

Only advantage is some crank case venting that is cast into the block. Was said to relieve some pressure at high rpm. Hope that helps. Larry.

white
    2002 z28

its also a lil darker in color from what i heared

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    Not trying to keep the bickering ongoing but..... in 1969 you could order your car several different ways. If you ordered the standard SS package or the standard Z28 package, then yes you are correct about the Z28 being the more desired car. But you could also get a Z28/SS package which is what the last SS Camaros built truly were. This special order was the more desired package over the stock Z28. Just stating a fact so please do not think that I am bitchin about which car is better. I think that the Z28 and SS are both great cars.
    From what I've read over the years, I think the SS was intended for drag racers, with bigger engines available. The Z28s were intended for road racers/Trans Am, with better handling. And the RS was an appearance package.

Some cars had a combination of the packages, making them that much better.

Just my 2 cents
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    From what I've read over the years, I think the SS was intended for drag racers, with bigger engines available. The Z28s were intended for road racers/Trans Am, with better handling. And the RS was an appearance package.

Some cars had a combination of the packages, making them that much better.

Just my 2 cents
    Your 2 cents are correct. The reason that the Z/28 came with the 302 optioned engine was due to displacement regulations in the Trans Am Series road races, but back in the day you could pretty much order what you wanted, RS/SS, RS/Z28, Z28/SS. And for those of you who don't think that I know what I am talking about, I checked and you could order a Z28/SS optioned car back in 1969. It was a Z28 with additional SS options just like the Z28/RS was a Z28 with RS options. The Z28/RS was the preferred option on the Z28 mainly because of the appearance of the hideaway headlights and the slotted taillights, which made a NASTY & MEAN looking machine!! I have recently found a 1969 RS/SS 4 speed car that I am trying to purchase. The car has been sitting underneath this guys barn for the last 10 years. The body is great, the 4 speed is still in the car but it is missing the engine.......anyone know what this car is worth????? Oh yeah, it originally came with the 396 big block.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

the ss looks better go with it

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

when i was a teen i got to ride in a 69 frekin awesome it had the 302 engine

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    the ss looks better go with it
    i think the SS looks better also.......

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    Your 2 cents are correct. The reason that the Z/28 came with the 302 optioned engine was due to displacement regulations in the Trans Am Series road races, but back in the day you could pretty much order what you wanted, RS/SS, RS/Z28, Z28/SS. And for those of you who don't think that I know what I am talking about, I checked and you could order a Z28/SS optioned car back in 1969. It was a Z28 with additional SS options just like the Z28/RS was a Z28 with RS options. The Z28/RS was the preferred option on the Z28 mainly because of the appearance of the hideaway headlights and the slotted taillights, which made a NASTY & MEAN looking machine!! I have recently found a 1969 RS/SS 4 speed car that I am trying to purchase. The car has been sitting underneath this guys barn for the last 10 years. The body is great, the 4 speed is still in the car but it is missing the engine.......anyone know what this car is worth????? Oh yeah, it originally came with the 396 big block.
    It's hard to say what it's worth, especially without the matching numbers engine. The question is....what are you willing to pay? If it's in good cond..I wouldn't hesitate to pay $7000-8000 for it. After there's an engine in it, it would be worth over $10,000 to me.

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

I have a 98 Z28, but liked the looks of the SS. So I was looking at them on Ebay. Then I found a 2000 SS vert. with 91,000 miles and a small dent in the right quarter for $9800. I checked the book price and found it booked for$12,000. I know the SS's will be worth more than the Z28's years from now, and a SS vert., even more. So, I bought it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information