Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Difference in SS/Z28?

This is a discussion on Difference in SS/Z28? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Bobby97SS Like I said, not knocking anybodies ride. You pay for all the parts regardless who you ...

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby97SS View Post
    Like I said, not knocking anybodies ride. You pay for all the parts regardless who you buy them from. I personally dont care if youre car is a tenth or two quicker than anybody elses. Monster power from a 383 LS1? Cool. If you like it so do I. I also like slant six dodge darts and beater pickups.
    i didnt pay for them..i prefer to let somone else pay for them and take the big hit then pick my cars up used ....60 yr old man owned it..and my car isnt a tenth or 2 quicker........closer to a second or 2 .... a lid gets u a tenth or 2..pretty sure nodoby in an ls1 Z28 has penis envy for your lt1 ss either....

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by jonj601 View Post
    in your face bitches. do a little more research. and it is LS-series engines not LSX F.A.S.T. does not make GM blocks
    The "X" is meant for LS 1, 2, 6 motors so we don't have to list them all junior. It has nothing to do with F.A.S.T intakes.

silver with black top
    1998 Z28

First of all I like camaro, ss or z28. I don't compete in road challenges or auto cross. I like to drag race like most people I know with camaros. I own a Z28 that looks better than any factory SS that I have seen, and going fast while looking good is the name of my game. I bought the Z28 because it was cheaper of course. It has the same motor and transmission as the SS so why not. If you are going to be racing auto cross or doing any turning at high speeds you should go with the SS and its great suspension up grades. For a daily driver and weekend warrior on a budget the Z28 is great. Now the hood, spoiler, and wheel issue. I think the SS looks bad ass but, I like the suncoast SS style hood, and RS ground effects + spoiler much more. I know what you're thinking that stuff doesn't make it go any faster, and you're right, but I think looks are important to and most people agree. Also after market rims give it that personal touch that you wont find on a factory ride. I have never seen a camaro or any car on the streetfor that matter with my rims. So if you are like me and are going for a one in a million look and the power to back it up buy a Z28 and modify it to your taste.
    1998 Z28 (11.90 Et with slicks)
    LIVE TO MOD.!!!

FAS02SS

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

SS vs Z

I have an SS I bought used w/3500 miles for 22K in 2003. I really liked the hood, bigger wheels and wider tires. I drove a couple Z's 1st and really couldn't tell a big difference although the SS had a better sounding (to my ears) exhaust. I don't think you could wrong either way but the SS does carry a $$$ premium that could be used to mod a Z. Make sure you buy exactly what you want and that way you'll be happy!!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by KM02SS View Post
    I have an SS I bought used w/3500 miles for 22K in 2003. I really liked the hood, bigger wheels and wider tires. I drove a couple Z's 1st and really couldn't tell a big difference although the SS had a better sounding (to my ears) exhaust. I don't think you could wrong either way but the SS does carry a $$$ premium that could be used to mod a Z. Make sure you buy exactly what you want and that way you'll be happy!!
    nicely said!! and yes the ss comes with a diff exhaust that does sound MUCH better than a stock z28s...the stock z's is EXTREMELY quiet

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KM02SS View Post
    Again, very well put.

white
    2002 z28

X2

and also since all these cars are used now its all about the best deal you can get. like if theres a mint z28 w like 30 k miles selling for 12,000 and a SS w/ exact numbers, get the SS. but when that SS is $17,000 i would go w/ the Z28 everytime. save some coin then modd up to make it different,faster, and better looking then any SS for less. IMO

LETS JUST SAY THAT SS AND THE Z28 IS TOP DOG AND JUST REPERSENT BEING THE BEST
    Last edited by greatwhiteZ28; 04-24-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I bought my Z28 new. The comparable SS cost $5K more. I like the hood scoop and the rear wing treatment on the SS, but it aint worth $5K. My Z came with factory ground effects and it looks pretty "mean" too. I do envy the SS 17" wheels, however. It's all a matter of taste.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS M6

SS's are still more badass

Silver
    02 Z28

Were 17in rims not an option on z28's? I bought mine used and it has 17in chrome zr1's on it, I thought it was an option?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

i wanted an ss for the looks, better hood and spoiler. there are a lot of z28 and v6 guys out there who end up buying an aftermarket ss hood and/or spoiler to dress up their cars. but why imitate when you can have the real thing. plus ss's will definately be worth more in a few decades when these cars become collectables.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by vdubbing337 View Post
    Were 17in rims not an option on z28's? I bought mine used and it has 17in chrome zr1's on it, I thought it was an option?
    Just modded by someone.

Silver
    02 Z28

OK thanks for the info, I thought I saw someone post theres on here and they showed pictures of it off the truck, and it had the same rims, even same color car? Anyway, the 17's with 275's do look alot meaner.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    GM advertised a difference in HP, but there is no 20 HP difference. In theory, the SS has the hood that supposedly is ram air functional which allows for the HP difference. The LS1 motor in an SS is the same LS1 motor that you will find in a Z28. If you want to believe that the hood/ram air will create a 20 HP difference between the 2 models, then I have some ebay auction links I need to send you.

The SS does have a little bit better suspension from the factory, but if you are going to be modding, does it really matter?

If you want an SS for the hood, spoiler, & build #, then buy an SS. Otherwise, there is no difference.
    Steelman / Y2K,
    You are correct about the 20 hp being advertised by GM supposedly coming from the Ram Air hood. What you are failing to mention is that all SS Camaros are not built the same. If you get a fully optioned SLP SS Camaro you could get 20 additional hp through the Ram Air hood, optional exhaust, SLP airbox and intake. The reason that there is not much difference in dyno numbers is because the HP increase from the Ram Air hood would not show up on the dyno. This is because the Ram Air hood only starts helping HP numbers after approximately 60 mph. Add to the Ram Air hood the other SLP options and there is an additional 20 HP on the fully optioned SLP SS Camaro.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    Steelman / Y2K,
    You are correct about the 20 hp being advertised by GM supposedly coming from the Ram Air hood. What you are failing to mention is that all SS Camaros are not built the same. If you get a fully optioned SLP SS Camaro you could get 20 additional hp through the Ram Air hood, optional exhaust, SLP airbox and intake. The reason that there is not much difference in dyno numbers is because the HP increase from the Ram Air hood would not show up on the dyno. This is because the Ram Air hood only starts helping HP numbers after approximately 60 mph. Add to the Ram Air hood the other SLP options and there is an additional 20 HP on the fully optioned SLP SS Camaro.
    If you plan to mod the car, which most people do, does it really matter if you acquire a Z28, an SS, or an SLP SS. IMO, no, it doesnt matter. I mentioned this in my original post. From the factory, all the 4th gen fbodies run a very very similar 1/4 time in stock form. Dyno numbers don't mean anything to me, they are bragging rights. What is the true telling factor of how fast a car is, is its 1/4 times, not dyno numbers.

There is a guy here in Tulsa that is a friend of mine that has a 2000 pewter SS with 650+ RWHP through a turbo kit but no supporting mods(drivetrain, suspension). He can't run anything faster than a 13 at the track. Several other LS1 fbodies that I know of that have RWHP in the 300-350 range but can run mid 12s. Does having the higher HP car really mean anything?

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    If you plan to mod the car, which most people do, does it really matter if you acquire a Z28, an SS, or an SLP SS. IMO, no, it doesnt matter. I mentioned this in my original post. From the factory, all the 4th gen fbodies run a very very similar 1/4 time in stock form. Dyno numbers don't mean anything to me, they are bragging rights. What is the true telling factor of how fast a car is, is its 1/4 times, not dyno numbers.

There is a guy here in Tulsa that is a friend of mine that has a 2000 pewter SS with 650+ RWHP through a turbo kit but no supporting mods(drivetrain, suspension). He can't run anything faster than a 13 at the track. Several other LS1 fbodies that I know of that have RWHP in the 300-350 range but can run mid 12s. Does having the higher HP car really mean anything?
    I agree with you.....1/4 mile times are all that matters to me also. My friend has a Cobra that dynos close to 600 RWHP but his quarter mile times suck. I was just stating the fact that you can get a Camaro SS with 20 more HP than a stock Z/28, however if I was planning on modifying the car, which most of us do I would probably purchase the Z/28 unless I could find a hell of a deal on a SS.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    I agree with you.....1/4 mile times are all that matters to me also. My friend has a Cobra that dynos close to 600 RWHP but his quarter mile times suck. I was just stating the fact that you can get a Camaro SS with 20 more HP than a stock Z/28, however if I was planning on modifying the car, which most of us do I would probably purchase the Z/28 unless I could find a hell of a deal on a SS.
    I see what you are saying now and agree as well. Its hard to understand peoples perspectives or what they are attempting to communicate sometimes on the internet.

Red
    01 Z28

i agree

Quote Originally Posted by spookyz28 View Post
    SS are way over rated, It's a shame when that car is the car of car's to the camaro family and 9 times out of 10 the Z 28 will come out on top. For performance both car's are identical. Should be rated exactly the same but are not. If you are sensitive about the looks of your car then get the SS. If you are into performance and want the most bang for your buck than get the Z28. I know that I will never pay 5 thousand dollars more for a car just because it has a different hood, rear spolier and has the SLP stamp on the inside of the door. The only way I would get the SS is if it came with 50 to 60 more horses.
    I guess all of the options and resale value of the ss are overated. It sounds like you love the z nothing wrong with that just don't make the assumption the performance value's are the same because they are not. The SS has better shocks, wheeels and tires,sway bars, and exhaust system from the cat back. If you are gonig to heavily modify a camaro it doesn't matter which one you start with but stock for stock the Z is and always has been the SS's younger sibling.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post
    I guess all of the options and resale value of the ss are overated. It sounds like you love the z nothing wrong with that just don't make the assumption the performance value's are the same because they are not. The SS has better shocks, wheeels and tires,sway bars, and exhaust system from the cat back. If you are gonig to heavily modify a camaro it doesn't matter which one you start with but stock for stock the Z is and always has been the SS's younger sibling.
    blackdeath.......thanks for your last statement above.....stock for stock the Z is and always has been the SS's younger sibling. That is exactly what I have been trying to say all along and nobody seems to understand this. Stock for stock, the SS is the better overall performance value, but if you are going to modify the car, either one is a great value.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information