Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Difference in SS/Z28?

This is a discussion on Difference in SS/Z28? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Either way I like my SS better because, I'm gonna be honest here, I like the way it looks! As ...

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Either way I like my SS better because, I'm gonna be honest here, I like the way it looks! As previously mentioned and a lucky few know by common knowledge, It has a Ram Air hood, different spoiler, and wider tires. It just looks mean as hell!

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Yes thats true but the Z rides a hell of a lot smoother than the SS with its stiffer shocks & springs & bigger sway bars & bigger / heavier wheels & tires . Like the man said , stealth is what the Z is all about but when you mash the throttle its a dead even race. The Z has timeless conservative styling that doesn't have to shout "LOOK AT ME". Its more reserved but you better believe all that LS1 power is there in spades for anyone foolish enough to want to test it.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Whoa man, I never said that the Z's weren't mean as hell! LOL That's originally what I was going to get. But like I said earlier, I like to turn a few heads. I came across a great deal on a bad ass looking and even better performing modern muscle machine and just couldn't pass it up! I just love the LS1's period! And believe me, I definitely respect the Z's! As far as ride goes, it is a little rougher, but not enough to steer me away from it.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

from the way I understand it... when you've got more of a performance setup suspension wise, it definitely tends to be a rougher ride. That gives you a better feel of the road too. I can definitely deal with my rougher riding SS

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jonj601 View Post
    i believe the SS has an aluminum block and the Z28 has an iron block. along with everything else listed above
    Yea Hes got you on this one all Z28s came with 408 truck blocks. We just don't like to talk about it to much.

white
    2002 z28

your joking right???

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

pewter
    02 CAMARO SS

in your face bitches. do a little more research. and it is LS-series engines not LSX F.A.S.T. does not make GM blocks

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i dont even consider them diff cars when looking at both....could of easily had a low milage ss for what i paid for my car.......the differences are small..the hood spoiler DOES look badass though...love that spoiler.....i like beinging stealthy as well though.....i definitly notice the shock on ppl when i get all over it ......passed 2 kids yesterday ttops off in there vert mustang cobra......they gave me a good rumble as i passed ....i pushed in the clutch and gave one back......look in my rearview and the passanger in the cobra is completly out of his seat turned around lookin at me.......gave me a big grin..hehe

Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

Well my SS has stainless exhaust, Torsen torque sensing diff., level II Bilstien suspension, Hurst shifter, upgrade panhard bar and lower control arms, upgrade front swaybar, upgrade trans mount, jounce bumper spacers, slp maf, engine oil cooler, factory syn. lube fill, car cover plus the obviuos spoiler, 17" wheels, cold air hood, etc. You would have to find an exceptionally loaded Z to get all that stuff.
    And it rides like a sports car. You can feel ever crack in the road. It also turns like a gokart.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby97SS View Post
    Well my SS has stainless exhaust, Torsen torque sensing diff., level II Bilstien suspension, Hurst shifter, upgrade panhard bar and lower control arms, upgrade front swaybar, upgrade trans mount, jounce bumper spacers, slp maf, engine oil cooler, factory syn. lube fill, car cover plus the obviuos spoiler, 17" wheels, cold air hood, etc. You would have to find an exceptionally loaded Z to get all that stuff.
    MOST dont have the bilstein setup...yours is obviously an slp ss....VERY few slp ss's even came with koni's..was a pricey option

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

I don't want to feel every crack in the road much less a full size crater / pot-hole - whoop-te-do hump/lump . Don't like havin to put a death grip on the steering wheel all the time never able to relax & enjoy the ride because I might have to make a emergency maneuver to avoid something in the road. But hey, thats just me. Whatever blows your dress up ! Personally I want the smoothest ride possible combined with the coolest look & sound. I've owned my share of rough riding cool lookin bad handling lowered cars that WILL get you in trouble fast. They are uncomfortable & in some situations dangerous and reduce the resale value of your vehicle. I know lots of guys who have gone through the hassel & expense of ruining their rides by lowering them at the expense of the ride and will admit its a hell of a trade off just for cool looks & most revert back to stock shortly.

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

SS are way over rated, It's a shame when that car is the car of car's to the camaro family and 9 times out of 10 the Z 28 will come out on top. For performance both car's are identical. Should be rated exactly the same but are not. If you are sensitive about the looks of your car then get the SS. If you are into performance and want the most bang for your buck than get the Z28. I know that I will never pay 5 thousand dollars more for a car just because it has a different hood, rear spolier and has the SLP stamp on the inside of the door. The only way I would get the SS is if it came with 50 to 60 more horses.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Talking Some say the SS unlike the Z/28 just looks mean as hell

Quote Originally Posted by SSTribull View Post
    Either way I like my SS better because, I'm gonna be honest here, I like the way it looks! As previously mentioned and a lucky few know by common knowledge, It has a Ram Air hood, different spoiler, and wider tires. It just looks mean as hell!
    Well , I don't know about "MEAN AS HELL" but I do know that it just looks juvenile as hell and for about $5000.00 more than a Z/28 without being ANY faster makes little sense.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Whatever man, you have your opinion, and I obviously have mine. It just seems better that you keep yours to yourself. Juvenile? $5,000 more? Riiiiight. I didn't even know you were ther when I bought the car. And how bout your convertible??? Not trying to grab a little attention there hypocrite?

Black
    99 SS

most people buy these cars to make them faster, and if your going to change out everything why does it matter anyways??? personally i like the look of the SS better then the Z.
    95 WS6, 6 speed, FULL suspension, 9" spool, Vortech S/C HARD TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28/SS Vert Triple Black, H/C

white
    97 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Well , I don't know about "MEAN AS HELL" but I do know that it just looks juvenile as hell and for about $5000.00 more than a Z/28 without being ANY faster makes little sense.
    Sounds like a little bit of "penis envy" to me. If all the SS stuff doesnt make it one bit faster then why does everybody buy and install all the bolt on stuff? (Exhaust, CAI, 17" wheels, etc.) Anyway, the real difference is in resale value, which is why a lot of you dont have SS's in the first place. I am not knocking anyones car either. SS's are just a step above and we who have them know it, we paid dearly for them.

white
    97 SS

One more thing. Anyone ever heard of Camaro/mustang challenge? Its roadracing with production cars. And you cant run SS's or Cobras. Z's and GT's only. I guess they dont like the hoods.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby97SS View Post
    Sounds like a little bit of "penis envy" to me. If all the SS stuff doesnt make it one bit faster then why does everybody buy and install all the bolt on stuff? (Exhaust, CAI, 17" wheels, etc.) Anyway, the real difference is in resale value, which is why a lot of you dont have SS's in the first place. I am not knocking anyones car either. SS's are just a step above and we who have them know it, we paid dearly for them.
    a step above? lt1 man says to 383 ls1 stroker man :-P...coulda had an ss easily for what i paid for my car....i choose reliable monster hp over the hood and spoiler

white
    97 SS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    a step above? lt1 man says to 383 ls1 stroker man :-P...coulda had an ss easily for what i paid for my car....i choose reliable monster hp over the hood and spoiler
    Like I said, not knocking anybodies ride. You pay for all the parts regardless who you buy them from. I personally dont care if youre car is a tenth or two quicker than anybody elses. Monster power from a 383 LS1? Cool. If you like it so do I. I also like slant six dodge darts and beater pickups.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information