Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

detailing my camaro LOTS OF PICS :D

This is a discussion on detailing my camaro LOTS OF PICS :D within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; man i clean all the rough everyday, never let it pile up....

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

man i clean all the rough everyday, never let it pile up.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Well for me and my cars I dont really use anything like clay bar or buffers.
    Mine are all done by hand, lots amd lots of "elbow grease" so to speak.

My finishes all have days into them.

1) I washed the cars with heavy amount of dishsoap, (none antibacterial) and very hot water ( Hot as I could stand).
    2) A heavy rubbing compound on areas with scrathes only into the clear coat. I did'nt have any paint missing or cracks and so fourth.
    3) Then I used 3m scratch doctor over the entire car.
    4) I then used a 2600 glazeing compound over the entire car.
    5) Washed the car again to get any grit that I may have left behind off the car.
    6) More Glazeing compound, and a good final wax.
    Made the finish so smooth that even the dry towel would'nt stay on it if left there.
    7) final steps, NO LEANING, TOUCHING, OR BREATHING ALLOWED ON MY CAR!! LOL Good luck man..
    Whoah now just one minute. Don't deny the power of the claybar. I use it once a year as a surface prep. The way you can tell the difference is get a piece of seran wrap and rub it over the surface of the paint. If it sounds like sand paper then do an area with the clay and then try the same thing again. It should sound nice and smooth and unlike sand paper. Polishing and compounding will remove microns of paint each time you use them, eventually wearing down your finish. Clay-baring takes the contaminants out of the paint without wearing down the finish. When the surface of the car gets hot the paint gets soft. Dirt that's on it works it's way down into the paint hence the sandpaper effect. Claybar removes this without the compound that wears down the finish.
    Your (Smittro) hot water might deliver the same type of effect but the bar will save you 2 things. 1: Physical discomfort. 2: Removing the oils/moisture out of your paint.
    Claybay also works wonders on overspray and tree sap. I do the windows also. FYI NEVER wax your windows but you can polish them. It helps to remove scratches/hard water deposits and helps make your windshield nice and smooth so the wipers work better and the rain rolls right off. Screw Rain-X, it just fills in the scratches and messes up your wiper blades so that when it wears off they are worthless. Don't polish your scratches in the glass too much or you will create imperfections in the glass surface whereby creating a problem.
    No disrespect Smittro.
    This is the homegrown process I used upon first acquiring the GTO.

1: Turtle Wax Ice claybar. (No particular reason. I've used them all. Just figured I'd give it a try. It was adequate)
    2: Rinse and wipe down with clean water.
    3: High speed polish with 3M fine cut compound. (Only for experienced use or you'll burn the paint)
    4: Wash with Meguiars Gold Class to remove compound particles, dry.
    5: Meguiars or 3M show glaze with a 6" orbital and a foam pad.
    6: Wash with Meguiars Gold Class to remove glaze particles, dry.
    7: Seal with a non abrasive sealer/wax. If the can/bottle says polish or cleaner wax throw it away. Meguiars 26 is adequate. I used NXT 2.0 just out of curiosity this time. It was good.
    8: Smooth out the wax/sealer with a non abrasive microfiber pad on 6" orbital polisher. This will take out swirls and streaks.
    9: Now go look into you hood at night and you can see Neptune!

All consecutive applications will be wash and wax only until I see a haze at which time I will clay bar and show glaze prior to waxing.
    After all of this anal insanity the water should sheet off or your car vs bead because the surface will be so smooth. I'm sure there will be some argument somewhere against this process and I welcome any there is objectively. I'm always open to better ideas.
    Then order a $180 WOLF/Kimberly Clark car cover to keep it that way! I always cover my car when at work or parked under a tree. Pretty much anytime it's outside for a great length or time.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 08-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    Whoah now just one minute. Don't deny the power of the claybar. I use it once a year as a surface prep. The way you can tell the difference is get a piece of seran wrap and rub it over the surface of the paint. If it sounds like sand paper then do an area with the clay and then try the same thing again. It should sound nice and smooth and unlike sand paper. Polishing and compounding will remove microns of paint each time you use them, eventually wearing down your finish. Clay-baring takes the contaminants out of the paint without wearing down the finish. When the surface of the car gets hot the paint gets soft. Dirt that's on it works it's way down into the paint hence the sandpaper effect. Claybar removes this without the compound that wears down the finish.
    Your (Smittro) hot water might deliver the same type of effect but the bar will save you 2 things. 1: Physical discomfort. 2: Removing the oils/moisture out of your paint.
    Claybay also works wonders on overspray and tree sap. I do the windows also. FYI NEVER wax your windows but you can polish them. It helps to remove scratches and helps make your windshield nice and smooth so the wipers work better and the rain rolls right off. Screw Rain-X, it just fills in the scratches and messes up your wiper blades so that when it wears off they are worthless. Don't polish your scratches in the glass too much or you will create imperfections in the glass surface whereby creating a problem.
    No disrespect Smittro.
    This is the homegrown process I used upon first acquiring the GTO.

1: Turtle Wax Ice claybar. (No particular reason. I've used them all. Just figured I'd give it a try. It was adequate)
    2: Rinse and wipe down with clean water.
    3: High speed polish with 3M fine cut compound. (Only for experienced use or you'll burn the paint)
    4: Wash with Meguiars Gold Class to remove compound particles, dry.
    5: Meguiars or 3M show glaze with a 6" orbital and a foam pad.
    6: Wash with Meguiars Gold Class to remove glaze particles, dry.
    7: Seal with a non abrasive sealer/wax. If the can/bottle says polish or cleaner wax throw it away. Meguiars 26 is adequate. I used NXT 2.0 just out of curiosity this time. It was good.
    8: Smooth out the wax/sealer with a non abrasive microfiber pad on 6" orbital polisher. This will take out swirls and streaks.
    9: Now go look into you hood at night and you can see Neptune!

All consecutive applications will be wash and wax only until I see a haze at which time I will clay bar and show glaze prior to waxing.
    After all of this anal insanity the water should sheet off or your car vs bead because the surface will be so smooth. I'm sure there will be some argument somewhere against this process and I welcome any there is objectively. I'm always open to better ideas.
    Then order a $180 WOLF/Kimberly Clark car cover to keep it that way! I always cover my car when at work or parked under a tree. Pretty much anytime it's outside for a great length or time.
    Not deny just never used it man.. My way works best for me and I have ZERO damage to the paint on my cars. See the house and clouds in my rear quarter..She rarely if ever sees rain and is parked for winter in a climate controlled shop.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-02-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

THAT'S IT! I've had enough of you insolence! Tell my brother to ready the spare bedroom. I'm coming to NEW KENSINGTON!!!! LOL J/K
    When the temperature drops about 900* I'll do up the goat and post some high res pics. It rains too much this time of year and I don't have a garage since I moved into the condo so I have to do it at night. The humidity ain't helping matters much either. C'mon October!
    Last edited by Goat-E; 08-03-2009 at 12:04 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh and by the way I only ever did the process twice. Just to further richen the glass like finish I achieved. No factory lumpy clear coat anywhere. No front scrape damage from bottoming out. No sand blast effect in the wheel wells. No under carriage rust, nothing, just a very clean Camaro..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-03-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    THAT'S IT! I've had enough of you insolence! Tell my brother to ready the spare bedroom. I'm coming to NEW KENSINGTON!!!! LOL J/K
    When the temperature drops about 900* I'll do up the goat and post some high res pics. It rains too much this time of year and I don't have a garage since I moved into the condo so I have to do it at night. The humidity ain't helping matters much either. C'mon October!
    Haha, yes the humidity sucks here sometimes too as you well know. I hate when she sweats and dust tries to infiltrate her blue dress lol..But just a maintainance wax is about a 4 hour job, making sure she dont have any wax between her panels and around lights and so forth. Wait rain-x, wipers? What are those?lol Took some time to align her body panels too. Got them all within 3 penny's width, and perfect panel to panel lines. Only spot I could do nothing with was near her tail, the hatch is slightly smaller than I'd like across the wing area. But still dead even gaps on both sides of the hatch rear lip..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-03-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

I am fortunate to live in Calif. and keep my car covered and in a garage.
    I only use Zaino and I think I have washed my car with water maybe twice
    since getting her in 2000 (2001 SS) I do have a few nicks in the hood just from driving i guess. Other than that, not a mark on her. I also have two other cars that I drive regularly. Lucky Me!!!

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

ok back to the topic.. so as far as touchup paint on the hood... my car was a ton of little nicks in the paint cuz the guy i bought it from lived in the middle of nowhere in PA and bascially went offroading with it.... so i would like to buy some touchup paint and fix the hood...

do any of you have experience with this and/or have any opinions toward this.... i really dont want to have to resort to haveing the hood repainted for numerous reasons

on some website i found they sell the solvent to clean the surface, a primer, and a touchup bottle that brushes on and then even a clear coat with direct matching paint to my 00 black z28

any ideas toward this

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

What system are you referring to?

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

sorry i'm out of town and i have the site i found bookmarked on my home desktop.... it was some system that used little brushes and they sold a primer, you typed in your car's paint code to match it exactly, then a clearcoat....

i was wondering if you guys have toyed with any systems like this for your cars....?

when i get home in a few days i will throw the site out there

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

I just claybared my car yesterday...and I swear by the Mothers Claybar over anything out on the market. I used the carnuba wax...switching from meguiars gold class. I will post some pics later today. Man i love the summertime

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

heres that site i bookmarked for touch up paint.... wondering if this would be worth trying on my hood

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch_up_paint.asp

Red
    2001 ws6

if you were a little closer to me id come give you a hand......

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    heres that site i bookmarked for touch up paint.... wondering if this would be worth trying on my hood

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch_up_paint.asp
    Their instructions aren't bad but for your purposes I would prep the area with 600 wet dry sand paper(dry). Then do the secondary steps with 12-1500 (dry) then clean the dust remnants with acetone and a microfiber lint free cloth. (go easy with the acetone or you'll wipe the paint off too) After applying the paint I would let it cure for a couple of days before doing your final "light" (with12-1500 wet) sanding and compounding. After compounding I would hit the same spot with some show glaze and then wait the month before waxing. I would steer clear of that 180-320 grit sandpaper in your case. 180 is really course and 320 isn't much better.
    Remember I said to start in the least visible areas first and work your way to the most visible. This way you'll hopefully get the hang of it by then. Don't be all in a hurry either. Time and practice will be your friend. Don't be too aggressive with your sanding either or you'll be back to square 1.
    If you can, go to a body shop and make a new friend.
    Your surface prep is the most important part. It will make or break the whole ordeal. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 08-17-2009 at 12:53 PM.

pewter
    2000 ss slp

i'd suggest taken the hood to a paint shop u will never b happy with touch up paint sorry man if your pickey then u got to pay the price lol

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

yeah thanks for the advice... dont want to end up really screwin up my paint even worse... i'm going to get an estimate and see how much it would cost me to have someone professional touch it up and see if its worth it or not..

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

heres some general pics of the car before focussed mainly on the big problems....

here is the clay bar after doing the back bumper i believe?? not sure

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

but here is the car now.... cruised around with my buddy and snapped some general shots... it got dark quick so i didnt take exact photos of the problem areas from before and after sort of thing... i'll do that tomorrow possibly

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

took me the course of 2 different nights... was going to finish it after school and then it poured.... so today i basically restarted from scratch and did it all by hand... took FOREVER... however, in person the car looks like glass and i am so glad i did it... by the way in some of the photos the hood looks a different color... look closely at the hood and you'll realize thats actually the reflection of the clouds above hahaha
    Last edited by mammoth713; 08-27-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information