Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

deep thought

This is a discussion on deep thought within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have always been a camaro fan, ever since my dad had a 68 camaro. I would have just as ...

Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

I have always been a camaro fan, ever since my dad had a 68 camaro. I would have just as happily bought the ws6 but its pretty tough to find an american muscle car in europe as it is. when i came across the Z I was more than delighted to buy it.

Onyx Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

price

Onyx Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

and there are not that many birds in my area, easier to find a camaro

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Granddad sold chevies for a living....
    Bowtie till death !

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    Bowtie till death !

So its in the blood!!! NICE!!!!

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

I have owned only Chevrolet's, Novas and Camaros. I actually never really liked Camaros in school because everyone had one. However, my latest purchase, 2002 Camaro SS LE, was made because I wanted the Limited Edition since it was the last year the Camaro would be made. I don't count the 97/99 Camaro because it will be on a Zeta platform and not truely an "Fbody". That's just my outlook you understand. At any rate, my decision was not based upon price but on the limited production of the LE and the Pontiac versions have never really sparked my attention although I did like the Formula's hood in the 70's and now found on the TAs.
    Mike

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Didn't know there was a diff between the 97-99 camaro's
    + the later ones.
    What is a Zeta platform?
    And what is different?
    I thought they were all f bodies.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    Bowtie till death !

same here man, grandad sold em.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

I don't want this to sound like a rude reply,because its really not meant to be.
    But what school did you go to where every one had camaro's ?
    In my area of twin cities of about 90000 people + surounding towns, you could probably count the amount of
    z's + ss's on your fingers + toes.
    I may cross paths with one once every few days or sometimes much longer.
    but never were they so numerous, as to be common, even in the 6 cyl version ( which is actually a whole other animal) are pretty scarce.Thats actually why they are no longer being built because so few were sold.
    I'm the type who goes out of his way to have rarity or drive something diff then the next guy, so if they were at all common, I definetly wouldn't be driving one.
    I also have to ask what you mean by you dont count the 97/99 camaro's, It sounds as though they should be just discounted as not being worthy.
    Anybody else feel this way? Its the 1st i've heard of this diff. Please fill me in.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

When I was in school if people had sports cars it was about 75% split of Camaro's & Mustangs and only about 25% of everything else like T/A's, Nova's, GTO's, Cutlass ect.. I don't think he was meaning everyone that drives in the school.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Chevy power

My father always tells me stories of his late teens early 20's and what the car scene was like back then. I must have heard 30 different stories about him street racing and it was all straight line back then, noone on the street even though about ya know going touring on some back roads or whatever. Out of the 30 stories he told me and out of the 6 different cars he had in his pre 30's 24 of them were when he had his 68' RS/SS camaro that he special ordered from the dealer with the 396, and a bunch of other extras that he learned about from a buddy that worked at the dealer and had access to all the special order codes. So after a short while like 3 months tops, he was pulling the 396 and dropping in a 427. He tells me these hair raising stories about the awesome races he got into and how he only lost 1 time to a Gto judge and the reason was he cracked a connecting rod an 1/8 mile down the quarter mile. The cars that he mentioned racing and that were mildly intimidating were: GTO judges, wheely pulling Chevy II novas, and one time a 442. I never heard ny stories about firebirds except that he built one up for his younger brother as a bait car. He would send his brother out in the firebird to bet on races, my dad would ride along and when his brother lost (which I guess was most of the time, 350 small block mind you) he would say how about I race you for my brothers money times 2 in my camaro. Before you know it they got the money back and some.

-In my opinion the Camaro was the Muscle car of the 2 GM pony cars, and the firebird was the ritzy, saturday night cruisin show car. I always liked how the 4th gen T/A's looked, real flashy and mean curves to them, but then I look at a 4th Gen camaro and see a Mucsle car, no extra body work, no huge wrap around rear spoiler or fancy graphics. Just bare bones, lets smoke this Mustang and do donuts, Muscle car.

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

then I look at a 4th Gen camaro and see a Mucsle car, no extra body work, no huge wrap around rear spoiler or fancy graphics. Just bare bones, lets smoke this Mustang and do donuts, Muscle car.[/QUOTE]

dam you put that in such a good way! 'a fuckin men' to that!

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

I grew up in Texas (Wichita Falls) and although you may not have had the experience, EVERYONE had Camaros! If there had been many fewer of them then I probably would have owned a few, hence my NOVA phase of life. Most of the ones around when I grew up had been worked on and were always racing on the strip or the street. Trucks were popular back then as well.

When I said that I don't count the 97/99 (depending upon when it is released) Camaro it is NOT because I don't think they will be worthy. I know they will be killers and an excellent vehicle. Did I forget to mention FAST?! What I meant by the comment was that they will not be F-Body cars. From everything I've been hearing from some very reliable sources the new Camaro will be on a Zeta frame, which will be shared with the GTO. The car itself should NOT be discounted! That is not what I meant!!!!

I'm just stating that after a 35 year production run the Camaro has always been an F-Body. Now, although the name will come back and it will no doubt be a monster, in my opinion I would not sell my 02 SS LE because it will be the last true "F-Body" Camaro.........It's a matter of opinion and I am not speaking for anyone other than myself. Besides, after the dealers mark up the prices it will be very difficult for a large majority of people to afford one of the more performance oriented models.

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post
    I don't want this to sound like a rude reply,because its really not meant to be.
    But what school did you go to where every one had camaro's ?
    In my area of twin cities of about 90000 people + surounding towns, you could probably count the amount of
    z's + ss's on your fingers + toes.
    I may cross paths with one once every few days or sometimes much longer.
    but never were they so numerous, as to be common, even in the 6 cyl version ( which is actually a whole other animal) are pretty scarce.Thats actually why they are no longer being built because so few were sold.
    I'm the type who goes out of his way to have rarity or drive something diff then the next guy, so if they were at all common, I definetly wouldn't be driving one.
    I also have to ask what you mean by you dont count the 97/99 camaro's, It sounds as though they should be just discounted as not being worthy.
    Anybody else feel this way? Its the 1st i've heard of this diff. Please fill me in.

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

"My" days were back in the late 60s and 70s on the car scene. The term "street racing' isn't what it used to be. We would buy two clunkers and "wreck" them at an intersection to keep the traffic from coming down our straight way. Usually speaking, the cars were Camaros, a few Novas, GTOs, Chevelles, Malibus, Chargers, an occassional Road Runner, Cudas, etc....

You could get the cars back then and they were pretty cheap. That was where the old phrase "There's no substitute for cubic inches" came from. Even today, back at home (WF,TX) you can find a complete - everything- non-smoking 454 for under $200.... Yes, there are lots of farm/ranch trucks so that is mostly what you find in the bone yards. Here in NC on the other hand, a seized, partially complete (minus intake,exhaust, and all pulleys or block attachments, etc..) will cost you nearly $1000 depending on where you buy it. Anything less than $1500, at least what I've found over the past 9 years, will absolutely require a rebuild. Anyway, now I feel old.... I know...I am.... That's why the guys on the team call me "Crusty"....

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SPECOPS94 View Post
    "My" days were back in the late 60s and 70s on the car scene. The term "street racing' isn't what it used to be. We would buy two clunkers and "wreck" them at an intersection to keep the traffic from coming down our straight way. Usually speaking, the cars were Camaros, a few Novas, GTOs, Chevelles, Malibus, Chargers, an occassional Road Runner, Cudas, etc....

You could get the cars back then and they were pretty cheap. That was where the old phrase "There's no substitute for cubic inches" came from. Even today, back at home (WF,TX) you can find a complete - everything- non-smoking 454 for under $200.... Yes, there are lots of farm/ranch trucks so that is mostly what you find in the bone yards. Here in NC on the other hand, a seized, partially complete (minus intake,exhaust, and all pulleys or block attachments, etc..) will cost you nearly $1000 depending on where you buy it. Anything less than $1500, at least what I've found over the past 9 years, will absolutely require a rebuild. Anyway, now I feel old.... I know...I am.... That's why the guys on the team call me "Crusty"....
    "there's no replacement for displacement" is another phrase

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by SPECOPS94 View Post
    I grew up in Texas (Wichita Falls) and although you may not have had the experience, EVERYONE had Camaros! If there had been many fewer of them then I probably would have owned a few, hence my NOVA phase of life. Most of the ones around when I grew up had been worked on and were always racing on the strip or the street. Trucks were popular back then as well.

When I said that I don't count the 97/99 (depending upon when it is released) Camaro it is NOT because I don't think they will be worthy. I know they will be killers and an excellent vehicle. Did I forget to mention FAST?! What I meant by the comment was that they will not be F-Body cars. From everything I've been hearing from some very reliable sources the new Camaro will be on a Zeta frame, which will be shared with the GTO. The car itself should NOT be discounted! That is not what I meant!!!!

I'm just stating that after a 35 year production run the Camaro has always been an F-Body. Now, although the name will come back and it will no doubt be a monster, in my opinion I would not sell my 02 SS LE because it will be the last true "F-Body" Camaro.........It's a matter of opinion and I am not speaking for anyone other than myself. Besides, after the dealers mark up the prices it will be very difficult for a large majority of people to afford one of the more performance oriented models.
    I think there is a bit of confusion here,you keep saying the 97/99 camaro's, I think you mean the 07/09
    camaro's,I thought you were saying the 97/99 camaro's didn't count because they were not f bodies, + I was scratching my head, going, Huh! Whaaa, wud'd he say.
    Whatchu talkinbout willis.
    Now I get it, I havn,t heard the term zeta yet for the
    soon to be camaro, or i'd have put 2+2 together.

red
    82 ss

uhh well from a technical standpoint........... the trans ams make good for drive in movie theaters.......... you already got a bench for two on the trunk..........

so yea i prefer the more distinct bodylines on the camaros.......

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    I always prefered the Camaro until the 4th gen T/A came out. Especially the 98+ when the camaro got the ugly headlights.
    Lol i hear that...I love camaros....but i hate the headlights they put in in 98....I wish they kept the 98 front end and put 93-97 headlights in it

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Insurance was also cheaper on my SS than a TRANS AM. I was looking at both but had pontiacs that the interiors rattled more and the dealers were not as good imo.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I def prefer the 98 up Z28's over the trans ams. Its a toss up between the SS/WS6. All depends on what color. I love black WS6's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information