Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DAMN THE AWD's!

This is a discussion on DAMN THE AWD's! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 4tun8 I love beating up on you guys with the AWD =p I gotta admit though, LS1 ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    I love beating up on you guys with the AWD =p I gotta admit though, LS1 anything from a roll is rough for stock turbo sti/evo.
    You've obviously never raced anyone with an automatic locker and drag radials. I can launch hard as hell, and I only have 285/40 Eagle F1 Tires.

See the difference is our cars have torque, your 4 banger doesn't, and we don't need to launch at 6K RPM to run low 13's

Interesting post. I used to own a typhoon and loved to play at red lights with that thing.
    Recently I ran up against a heavily modded AWD eagle talon turbo, he was looking for something to play with. He came accross me in the chevelle this night We went from a dig, ( I run 1.59 60 foot times,,,lol) and I tore him a new one,,,LOL. He couldn't believe it and wanted to talk afterwards, he was pretty cool. Found out his car runs high 11's and he said he has never had any problems beating people on the street before, especially old cars like mine.
    I told him, I am glad I happened to be driving the chevelle tonight, because anything else and he would have handed my rearend to me,,,LOL.
    Anyway, back on subject, they can be beaten, but most of us are caught with our pants down (so to speak) ( but it's the street and fair is fair.) Buy a pair of drag radials and some suspension work to even the odds. Larry.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Wesman your post is the type of stuff that keeps import and domestic people from getting along. You assume that I have no torque, but I happen to make 393ft-lbs of torque at the wheels with my "4 banger".

You don't need to launch at 6k because you can't launch at 6k, not on anything below drag radials anyway. I pull consistant 1.60 short times with crappy tires, I'm sorry you feel the need to bash things you know nothing about

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Can't we all just get along? Come on.................however, if we all got along really peachy then life would never be interesting. I have repect for the AWD club, it's not my cup of tea, as they say. So, 4tun8, are you saying if you launch at 5k with stock tires, they spin madly, with stock Evo's? Obviously with 393 ft-lbs you are not stock.

The best I have done is 1.98 60 ft times at the drag strip, but running 105-107.5 on the big end, with only a lid, Eagle GS-D3 tires all around.

I always have, and probably always will, prefer the roar of a V8 over any other engine. My car sounds like the opening sound on this web site, they could've recorded my car for it, now that I have my headers and ORY. Hoping for 110 at the dragstrip this March.

Although I despise import cars, (just can't stand foreign cars for other reasons) I do have alot of respect for turbo applications as far as performance is concerned. You can never underestimate a turbo car.
    I raced against alot of Grand Nationals back when they were new and tons were on the street back then. It wasn't long before they were tinkered with and became stupid fast. Gave me the bug for a turbo car. Later on I purchased a Typhoon, for those unfamiliar it's a little GMC blazer with a 4.3, turbo and AWD. What a blast to drive, this little truck was a killer, and made me realize what turbos can really do. Torque was not a problem at all, simply bringing it up on the stock converter I could leave with as much as 10 lbs. of boost, left so hard it broke the passenger seat back and the guy riding along was laying flat on his back, stripped the damn reclining mechanism,,,LOL.
    At the track leaving on 5 lbs. of boost would get me 1.70 60 foot times, and simply just nailing it from idle would get me 1.85 60 foot times.
    It had tons of torque, it was common for the syty crowd to remove the front prop shaft (make it rear drive only) and do amazingly long burnouts, absolutely hillarious. Man I would like to have that truck back. Larry.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

What I was trying to say was that an ls1 car can't leave the line at 6k, not that the evo has trouble with it. I know it was worded kind of funny and that's why I'm clarifying.

I personally leave the line at 6500 on a 2 step and have had poor results with anything under that.

I also want to state this, after reading wes' post I started searching, and honestly, ill just say that no matter what Wes will hate on me. For what ever reason he has tunnel vision and doesn't accept the facts of life.

Wes you can hate these cars all you like, many do, but just as my post won't make you like them, anything you say won't make me not, so save everyone the trouble, especially the mods, and don't waste your breath with some foolish banter on how superior the LS1 is to the evo.

I love just about anything that is fast and performs well, obviously, you do not.

Silver
    2002 Z28

et streets and 4.10s. And when you race, remember to go easy on it, it's a lot easier to catch up from a slow start then from massive wheel spin. I can take modded evo 8s pretty well now, they tend to get the jump, but as soon as I hit 2nd, I'm pulling back... and if need be, traction allows for spray at the top of 2nd, then it's lunch time.

Once you've got your 60' under control, complete the exhaust, port and polish the throttle body (hitting the throttle stop as well), and get MAF smooth bellows. Do NOT port the MAF! Do a search on it; yes, a few people have succeeded, but a lot more have wound up buying a new one after screwing things up. Smooth bellows will give you the same trivial gains with a lot less headache.

When things get really serious, invest in a 9" rear end and some gas, then give him a few lengths, so he can see your headlights pop up before you fly by...
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Please keep the discussion civil guys.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 01-12-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I don't care who I talk to @ the track, a Corvette, F-body, Mustang, or a ricer. To each his own as long as their ride isn't a hideoous creation. I have been told by many AWD drivers that they go through clutches like women and tampons. If you haven't ever done so park next to an AWD @ the track after they run=burnt clutch smell....

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

No offense 4tun8, but what do you expect coming on a LS1 site. There are alot of us who like our LS1's and there are alot of us who like your kind of car. But you can't make a statement like that and expect to get away with it. Most of us I have to say (I THINK) are die hard's about there cars and they won't have it any other way! Remember, I am not trying to offend you. May I ask why you are on this site in the first place, owning a Mitsubishi? Are you planning on putting an LS1 in it?

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

I have no clue why I'm on this site honestly, I joined quite a while ago, I think I was searching something on google and signed up here......hrmmmm no I think it was a cross link from evolutionm.net when chris with the black high horse evo was racing some domestic guys and the video was being discussed here.

Ill go to a lot of different boards and simply search evo and see how that community sees the car. I'm a fairly common poster on some other boards, most of them hate me, but I get along good at svtperformance.com.

I like being active on the competition's boards, it gives me insight into what I'm racing at the track.

As far as expectations, I really didn't expect much, every car board has members that think their car is god's gift to the automotive community. Mostly I try to be the voice of reason in threads where members claim things like the evo 9 sporting a 20g turbo, which isn't true, its got a slightly modified 16g.

black
    '99 T/A

Wesman your post is the type of stuff that keeps import and domestic people from getting along. You assume that I have no torque, but I happen to make 393ft-lbs of torque at the wheels with my "4 banger".

You don't need to launch at 6k because you can't launch at 6k, not on anything below drag radials anyway. I pull consistant 1.60 short times with crappy tires, I'm sorry you feel the need to bash things you know nothing about
    god i hate fucking imports. at least i can fit my fat ass in my car...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

If ya don't mind me askin, where abouts in Pa are you. I am a bout 45 minutes north of Philadelphia.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

What I was trying to say was that an ls1 car can't leave the line at 6k, not that the evo has trouble with it. I know it was worded kind of funny and that's why I'm clarifying.

I personally leave the line at 6500 on a 2 step and have had poor results with anything under that.

I love just about anything that is fast and performs well, obviously, you do not.
    I would love to be able to leave at 6,000 RPM and get traction, the front wheels would be off the ground. That is one thing AWD cars can't do, wheelies. I like almost all fast cars, too, even some Mustangs.
    Last edited by Too Fast; 01-12-2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

I'm in Lebanon County near Hershey and Harrisburg.

Wheelies....yeah they're cool, but I can spin my car like a top =p

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I also want to state this, after reading wes' post I started searching, and honestly, ill just say that no matter what Wes will hate on me. For what ever reason he has tunnel vision and doesn't accept the facts of life.

Wes you can hate these cars all you like, many do, but just as my post won't make you like them, anything you say won't make me not, so save everyone the trouble, especially the mods, and don't waste your breath with some foolish banter on how superior the LS1 is to the evo.

Sorry, I don't like 4 door economy car that are riced out with big wings, fart cans, and 4 cylinder engines. I think Mitsubishis are complete garbage, due to a multitude of reasons. They are slow in stock form, you need to mod them to actually make them fast. They take substantial mods just to hang with an LS1 from anything other than a dig.

I don't care how fast your car can be made, I don't like it at all. Therefore I don't have respect for it at all, and thats the reaon I'm on this site. If you';re here to convince me of how great your car is, you can just leave, nobody wants to hear about rice

You're already got both of us warned because you're coming on here and starting trouble, just do us all a favor and leave if you have nothing to contribute.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wesman; 01-12-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I'm in Lebanon County near Hershey and Harrisburg.

Wheelies....yeah they're cool, but I can spin my car like a top =p
    Yeah, forgot about that. I have a nitro burning RC truck, a T-Maxx, AWD, it spins like that too when I want it to.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

I got myself warned and no one else, if you received a warning it was because of YOUR actions and no one elses.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You guys can't seem to lay off on this, so I am closing this thread.

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

Good idea Preston

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information