Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Cutout or springs?

So I have about 250 bucks to spend on either a single cutout (completely stock exhaust as of now) or lowering springs? I have z06 wheels and custom paint but other than that the car is stock. Or does anyone have better options for $250

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

strano springs. save your monies and getcha a full exhaust. the strano springs are real nice and not a radical drop

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Springs...the springs will make your car look good all the time...you can only use the cutout once in a while and depending on if you get the electronic one or not you will have to get under the car to enjoy it.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Get the springs man, if you run the cutout you'll just regret not getting a full exhaust. Besides your car will look great lowered.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Ya go springs cause the cutout is pointless without a full exhaust.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

PLEASE do not do just springs. regardless of what lowering spring you go with, it will ride like crap on the already lacking stock shocks. once you're lowered, you'll need a front end alignment, so there's another $100. also, your rear will be off center so there's another $125 for a panhard rod. you'll probably lose a lot of traction by lowering so $90 for lca relocation brackets. then when you come to the realization that your ride quality and handling is only going to get worse and worse until you do something about it, there's another $400+ for shocks.

but then again, it'll look good with just springs right guys?

Sunset orange met.
    2001 camaro Z28

Dont buy springs cut you're stock ones they ride better and it doesn't cost a thing. Get some subframe connectors or save that money and get the full exhaust you will be better off in the long run.

Black
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post

PLEASE do not do just springs. regardless of what lowering spring you go with, it will ride like crap on the already lacking stock shocks. once you're lowered, you'll need a front end alignment, so there's another $100. also, your rear will be off center so there's another $125 for a panhard rod. you'll probably lose a lot of traction by lowering so $90 for lca relocation brackets. then when you come to the realization that your ride quality and handling is only going to get worse and worse until you do something about it, there's another $400+ for shocks.

what a debby downer

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    what a debby downer
    i apologize for trying to stop someone from making a mistake

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Damn, I was gonna say do the cut-out no matter what, but after what others have said, do what you want.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I say springs... how are the roads you usually go on? If they're not too bumpy or ugly then go for springs. Your car won't ride too bad on "alright" roads. But yea cut out with stock exhaust is pointless. Or you can do sub frame connectors too or maybe a lid and filter?

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

my car came with a cutout on a stock exhaust and i didn't mind it. i'd vote to just save your money though. put it towards something bigger that'll actually make noticeable difference in performance rather than look/sound.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

I vote cutout. But you definately dont need to spend $250 to do it. It only cost about $10 and a hour or so of time. Go to auto zone/oreillys and get a piece of 3" pipe and a 3 bolt exhaust flange, notch the pipe to fit the contour of the exhaust (where the exhaust begins to go up over the axle is best), then cut the pipe about 4-5", place the piece up to the exhaust where your going to place it and mark it. Now, take a sawzall or whatever you choose and cut out where you just marked, Next you weld the flange to your piece of pipe then you weld the pipe to your existing exhaust. If you want to be able to close it every now and then, just take a piece of metal and trace your flange on it and then cut it out and drill it for the bolt holes.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I say springs... how are the roads you usually go on? If they're not too bumpy or ugly then go for springs. Your car won't ride too bad on "alright" roads. But yea cut out with stock exhaust is pointless. Or you can do sub frame connectors too or maybe a lid and filter?
    The roads i normally drive on are pretty rough and SUPER curvy I dont care if it rides stiff as long as it handles better.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post

Will lowering the car an inch cause all of these problems?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    Lowering the car changes the suspensions geometry. The more you lower it, the more the geometry changes obviously, but lowering even an inch still changes it.

You may or may not experience what he has mentioned, but from everything that I have ever read, it's ideal to get the LCA relocation brackets and an adjustable PHB after lowering. The more you lower, the higher your instant center is, which lowers the amount of force being planted to the rear tires. This in return causes more traction issues.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

I dont care if it rides stiff as long as it handles better.
    it won't handle better. it might feel like it does at first because stiffer springs will eliminate some roll, but the shocks that can barely handle stock springs will not be able to do much with a spring so much stiffer. in very little time they will wear out and the ride will get bouncier and bouncier and the car will be less and less controllable.

I wouldn't call them "problems"

they're more like side effects. just springs on stock suspension is like throwing in a cam with no tune, valve springs, etc. it'll work, but not well. the suspension works as a system. if you change one thing, it effects others. a 1" drop depends on a lot of things, but chances are you'll still want just about everything listed.

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

If it were me, I'd put my money in the bank until I'd saved enough to afford one or more modifications that would truly give me an improvement in performance. Such enhancements are:

- Headers
    - Catback exhaust
    - Upgraded rotors and brake pads
    - These suspension parts, purchased and installed as a complete package:
    * Subframe connectors
    * Front and rear sway bars
    * Rear lower control/trailing arms
    * Rear lower control trailing arm relocation brackets
    * Torque arm
    * Upgraded dampers
    * Performance springs
    * Strut tower brace

If you really must get something right now, I recommend an SLP air lid and ram air kit and a K&N air filter. Combined, these simple mods are in your $250 price range and will give you improved accelaration and slightly better fuel economy.

black
    2002 Z28

i vote cutout, i have an electric cutout and itls worth it u'll turn more heads with that then the useless springs, and dont cut ur stock springs if u do it do it right, and the cutout is a big power gain becuz our exhuast are very shitty stock, check out my mods and power i havnt spent very much and i dynoed it b4 the cutout

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by kibz28 View Post
    i vote cutout, i have an electric cutout and itls worth it u'll turn more heads with that then the useless springs, and dont cut ur stock springs if u do it do it right, and the cutout is a big power gain becuz our exhuast are very shitty stock, check out my mods and power i havnt spent very much and i dynoed it b4 the cutout
    What kind of cutout set up are you running?

Thread Information