Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

crate engine

This is a discussion on crate engine within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 00z28bubba Op wants his car running quick and cheap. Yes i saw his limit of 6k, which ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    Op wants his car running quick and cheap.
    Yes i saw his limit of 6k, which is doable even with a alum block. I can see the pros that come with iron block, but i cant see myself ever taking the alum block out of any f-body i own. People love these cars because of there great engine design and the block being alum is part of that. Hell thats a big reason people put these engines in all sorts of cars. The rest of the auto world sees it as an advantage but yet the people who own these cars dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Then modding you car is pointless if loosing weight is.
    Not to me it isn't. I've been racing my chevelle for the last 25 years at a 4,108 lbs race weight. Can't bring myself to cut the car up so I deal with it. Down to 11.40's at 118 mph on motor only. Sure I could take out the A/C, fiberglass parts etc...lose weight and go faster,,,but where is the fun in that?? I've always been more impressed seeing a heavy car on motor only go fast rather than a 2500 lbs. feather weight doing the same thing.

Anybody can make a light car fast. These 4th gens just aren't heavy enough for me to worry about taking weight out.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not to me it isn't. I've been racing my chevelle for the last 25 years at a 4,108 lbs race weight. Can't bring myself to cut the car up so I deal with it. Down to 11.40's at 118 mph on motor only. Sure I could take out the A/C, fiberglass parts etc...lose weight and go faster,,,but where is the fun in that?? I've always been more impressed seeing a heavy car on motor only go fast rather than a 2500 lbs. feather weight doing the same thing.

Anybody can make a light car fast. These 4th gens just aren't heavy enough for me to worry about taking weight out.
    Thats what a said, you can save 200-300 pounds over an iron block without replacing any of the body or losing any of your options. Im not a straight line only guy, so heavy doesnt do it for me. Im not sure why heavy cars on motor only impress you? On a chevelle you can lose tons of weight and actually have a more comfy and usable car than they were from factory. Its basically a win win. A friends uncle just finished his 70 chevelle, looks great inside and out and weighed in at 3500lbs with him in it(with a 496 in it). Its not a gutted race car

Anybody can make a 4100lbs car fast it just takes more power and money than a lighter car
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Thats what a said, you can save 200-300 pounds over an iron block without replacing any of the body or losing any of your options. Im not a straight line only guy, so heavy doesnt do it for me. Im not sure why heavy cars on motor only impress you? On a chevelle you can lose tons of weight and actually have a more comfy and usable car than they were from factory. Its basically a win win. A friends uncle just finished his 70 chevelle, looks great inside and out and weighed in at 3500lbs with him in it(with a 496 in it). Its not a gutted race car

Anybody can make a 4100lbs car fast it just takes more power and money than a lighter car
    Exactly.

Ya I could lose a ton of weight, but just don't see the need. Can't do it unless I start butchering the car, removing parts, fiberglass panels that don't fit right, etc..... It's still comfy to me, A/C blows cold, and still looks like a stocker. That's just what I'm into. I've already been told it needs a cage, and that's something I'm not doing either.
    There are some sneaky ways to loose weight but that's just not what this car is about at the moment.

white
    2000 Z28

Yes i saw his limit of 6k, which is doable even with a alum block. I can see the pros that come with iron block, but i cant see myself ever taking the alum block out of any f-body i own. People love these cars because of there great engine design and the block being alum is part of that. Hell thats a big reason people put these engines in all sorts of cars. The rest of the auto world sees it as an advantage but yet the people who own these cars dont.
    He has the iron block already. Does he really need to spend every penny?

He has the iron block already. Does he really need to spend every penny?
    Nope,,,but you ever notice when you have money left over,,,you find another area of the car to spend it on?? Just always seems to work out that way.
    Oooops, I must have misread the part where he mentioned the iron block.
    Maybe he could save some coin here and change some other things on the car as well???

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nope,,,but you ever notice when you have money left over,,,you find another area of the car to spend it on?? Just always seems to work out that way.
    Oooops, I must have misread the part where he mentioned the iron block.
    Maybe he could save some coin here and change some other things on the car as well???
    He doesnt wanna use the iron block for some reason.

white
    2000 Z28

He doesnt wanna use the iron block for some reason.
    he originally wanted it built up and decided against it. he doesnt need a built motor to get that car running again. that stock lq9 will be more than enough of a replacement.

Arctic White, red/gray

he originally wanted it built up and decided against it. he doesnt need a built motor to get that car running again. that stock lq9 will be more than enough of a replacement.
    Why? His car would probably be slower, 345hp the same as a ls1 350hp. But it would be heavier

white
    2000 Z28

Why? His car would probably be slower, 345hp the same as a ls1 350hp. But it would be heavier
    that is assuming he doesnt swap parts from the ls1 over. the cam in the ls1 is bigger. the heads from the ls1 are better and so is the intake. he said the bottom end is no good but even if it were the ls6 intake that he could use it is still an upgrade. and also more tq in the lq9. but he is still just trying to get the car to run.

that is assuming he doesnt swap parts from the ls1 over. the cam in the ls1 is bigger. the heads from the ls1 are better and so is the intake. he said the bottom end is no good but even if it were the ls6 intake that he could use it is still an upgrade. and also more tq in the lq9. but he is still just trying to get the car to run.
    Well the camshaft in his 01 LS1 is the same truck camshaft GM put in the LQ9 truck motors.
    The LQ9 truck motors also use LS6 style heads starting in 2001 with D-shape exhaust ports, only the combustion chambers were larger at 71cc to keep compression down on the larger LQ9.
    They bumped the compression on the truck motor from 9:1 to either 9:5 or 10:1 starting around 2003 or so.
    Technically speaking, aside from the intake manifold,,the truck LQ9 motor is a pretty good base to start from,,,especially if you want a power adder, because compression is already in check.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information