Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Complete Power Loss!

For several years now my car has had a slight blip around 2500 RPM, just a split second power loss. Almost unnoticable and nothing I was too concerned about. Over the course of last week however it has gotten drastically worse and is rapidly becoming un-drivable. In any gear, but most commonly third, it will randomly lose 95% of its power through all rpm ranges. When in first gear and it happens I cannot top 10 mph. My first thought was a bad coil pack or something interfering with the spark, however there is no chugging or misfire like sounds, just a instant and very smooth power loss. I have not been able to correlate this with wet or dry weather, or any other environmental factors. It is happening for increasingly long periods of time. Usually I can get it to go away by quickly working the pedal until the engine just comes back to life. I have msd coil packs, plugs and wires, engine appears to be healthy with routine maintainence. I am stumped, any ideas?
    2000 Z28 Pewter, M6, T-Tops, K&N Intake, LS6 Manifold, SS Hood, MSD Ignition, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Stage 3 Clutch, Short Shifter.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

clean the Maf, new plugs, wires, O2's

Black 00 SS M6, vert, #0540 408ci

DD 2014 Sierra All Terrain

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Check your fuel pressure. Sounds like the pump is dying. It may be a dirty MAF, but usually this is a constant thing, not off and on. SES light on?

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

another question, when you say MSD ignition in your sig, are you talking about MSD coil packs?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    For several years now my car has had a slight blip around 2500 RPM, just a split second power loss. Almost unnoticable and nothing I was too concerned about. Over the course of last week however it has gotten drastically worse and is rapidly becoming un-drivable. In any gear, but most commonly third, it will randomly lose 95% of its power through all rpm ranges. When in first gear and it happens I cannot top 10 mph. My first thought was a bad coil pack or something interfering with the spark, however there is no chugging or misfire like sounds, just a instant and very smooth power loss. I have not been able to correlate this with wet or dry weather, or any other environmental factors. It is happening for increasingly long periods of time. Usually I can get it to go away by quickly working the pedal until the engine just comes back to life. I have msd coil packs, plugs and wires, engine appears to be healthy with routine maintainence. I am stumped, any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ View Post
    another question, when you say MSD ignition in your sig, are you talking about MSD coil packs?
    yup

OP, still running factory cats?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Check your fuel pressure. Sounds like the pump is dying. It may be a dirty MAF, but usually this is a constant thing, not off and on. SES light on?
    ....and this...

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

msd coil packs, plugs and wires. they are not that old either, maybe 20,000 miles. And yes stock cats. Why would stock cats matter?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

msd coil packs, plugs and wires. they are not that old either, maybe 20,000 miles. And yes stock cats. Why would stock cats matter?
    lol clogged cat/s will definetly cause power loss..

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    lol clogged cat/s will definetly cause power loss..
    +1

SES light will tell you. Is it on? Does it come on and flash while the problem is happening?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    +1

SES light will tell you. Is it on? Does it come on and flash while the problem is happening?
    Tho mine was a 3800, when my cat was dieing it did'nt code right away.

But it would'nt even climb a small grade either.. Later on I got the efficiency code..

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

ses light is always on because I installed a manual override switch for the cooling fan and left out the resistor. I am going to advance today to check the codes. Also buying a fuel filter, and I will rent a fuel pressure gauge and I will clean the MAF. Do you guys really think the cats could be bad at 105,000?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

ses light is always on because I installed a manual override switch for the cooling fan and left out the resistor. I am going to advance today to check the codes. Also buying a fuel filter, and I will rent a fuel pressure gauge and I will clean the MAF. Do you guys really think the cats could be bad at 105,000?
    Mine died @ 80k and there are some here in the LS1's that had issue around the same mileage when thiers died..

However untill you get it scanned it all guess work really.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh yeah and when my fuel pump died the car simply stopped but would idle some after sitting then die..

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Absolutely could be bad... That is why GM extended the warranty for the converters to 10 years/120k.

I'm surprised they haven't plugged yet.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

well if it is the cats then I guess I am forced to go get an off road y and pacesetters. What a misfortune! lol!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

well if it is the cats then I guess I am forced to go get an off road y and pacesetters. What a misfortune! lol!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

OH NOES!!!!! Not more power!!!!!

Do it!!!!

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

did this problem start after the MSD coil packs were put on the car? I have heard nothing but bad things about those things. My buddy had a problem with his car misfireing with those coil packs

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ View Post
    did this problem start after the MSD coil packs were put on the car? I have heard nothing but bad things about those things. My buddy had a problem with his car misfireing with those coil packs
    Same here. The factory units are fine in most cases and the gains from after market coils are not anything to write home about..imho

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

The msd coils were on the car when I bought it unfortunatly. I replaced the Air Temp Sensor as the car was throwing code p0113 (Air temp circuit input too high) and a fuel pump. Havnt driven it yet, I will post up the results!

Thread Information