Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Common issues? Complaints? What's your review?

Hey everyone. I'm looking at possibly buying an ls1 Camaro or firebird. I'm wanting to know what you guys don't like and do like about your cars. Give me a quick review.
    Also are they really that bad during the winter? I live in Indiana so we can get a bad winter one year, then barely any snow another.

I currently drive a stage 2 6spd Jetta GLI sand my first car was a supercharged Grand Prix... Just for reference.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I daily drove mine for years including through a few snow storms and down here that includes alot of ice usually. Stock they are fine just be careful and watch everyone you. Otherwise rear ends blow easily even in stock form. Leather wears quickly especially on drivers side seat. Fog lamps especially on trans ams burn out quickly or water gets in housings. Sail panels bubble from defect in the glue they used to put the panel on. Lighter colors tend to have less issues with it. They are not that comfortable compared to the newer platforms under camaros. Plus they look kind of cheap on inside like most GM cars of that era. T-tops develop leaks.

Things I like. The TA looks awesome even after this many years. Unfortunately I dont feel the camaro catfish look aged as well. They aren't that expensive to modify especially compared to newer camaros and most mustangs. A well maintained f bod gets a lot of compliments now especially from people who know what they are looking at. Unfortunately our cars have hit the age where a lot them have been beaten and abused. They respond well to mods and they can be lighter compared to more modern muscle cars.
    Last edited by raynor139; 11-03-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I daily drove mine for years including through a few snow storms and down here that includes alot of ice usually. Stock they are fine just be careful and watch everyone you. Otherwise rear ends blow easily even in stock form. Leather wears quickly especially on drivers side seat. Fog lamps especially on trans ams burn out quickly or water gets in housings. Sail panels bubble from defect in the glue they used to put the panel on. Lighter colors tend to have less issues with it. They are not that comfortable compared to the newer platforms under camaros. Plus they look kind of cheap on inside like most GM cars of that era. T-tops develop leaks.

Things I like. The TA looks awesome even after this many years. Unfortunately I dont feel the camaro catfish look aged as well. They aren't that expensive to modify especially compared to newer camaros and most mustangs. A well maintained f bod gets a lot of compliments now especially from people who know what they are looking at. Unfortunately our cars have hit the age where a lot them have been beaten and abused. They respond well to mods and they can be lighter compared to more modern muscle cars.
    Awesome. Thanks for being detailed! Until I finish school in a couple months I plan on just tackling immediate issues and common failures.
    As far as the quality and looks. Yeah I've owned an 01 Grand Prix I'm okay with cheap interiors.
    As far as rear end goes: I read that the 01 and newer have an LSD, do those hold up better?

Thanks for the response. I did a quick search and couldn't find much on this topic. At least not in one specific post

MGM
    Pontiac G8 GT & 99 Z28 6M

Just went through the exact same process. Best advice, go test drive several cars and talk to the owners about maintenance get receipts and check the car over very well. Remember at 20 years old common issues like power window motors and door locks can add up quickly on your maintenance bills.
    87 GN 7.75 1/8th @ 90MPH-SOLD
    88 GTA AL driveshaft 350 TPI Auto 9.2 76mph
    08 G8 GT 7.88 1/8TH 93MPH
    99 Z28 SLP Lid Magnaflow Cat Back Hurst Shifter Tuned by Frost BMR LCA

Thanks for the heads up guys

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a chance in hell I would winter drive an F-body... but it has been done.

Check out this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

Really? Luckily I'm not in a hurry maybe I'll wait if I buy one

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Rear wheel drive, tons of torque, and wider than wide stock size tires. Not a great combination for winter driving imo.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yeah jeffs winters vs mine are totally different to drive in. Now that i have multiple cars like Jeff I would never do it again. But if I had to down here it's possible.

Yeah I'm in Indiana so it's hit or miss. If I have to I'll look for a ZL1 and get winter tires but I don't have to yet lol

Blue
    04 wrx sti

I was able to fit low profile tire cables on the rear of my 2000 SS with 285s when the wether got really nasty. I made it through 2 winters in Montana before I got my STI. I only remember having to walk home once after getting stuck and abandoning the car on the side of the road.

In 50,000 miles of ownership from new I did the following:
    3 clutches
    2 bad transmission rebuilds T56
    one replacement transmission
    1 power window motor
    1 front brake rotor cracked
    Power steering pump
    1 ABS and Traction Control failure that may or may not have contributed to me running off the end of a runway at 100+ mph

It was a fun car but shit quality. I put 50,000 miles on an STI after I got rid of the SS with 0 problems.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Rear wheel drive, tons of torque, and wider than wide stock size tires. Not a great combination for winter driving imo.
    Been driving F-body’s through winters since 1995, last 4 with narrower (@245/45/17) snow tires. The biggest problem is when:

A) the snow at the bottom has become ice
    B) the snow has the consistency of sand

I wish Maryland would let me use studs but I also wish the state would recognize the 2nd Amendment, so I must just wish for crazy things.

As far as complaints; good condition trim parts are getting hard to find, and expensive (come on repel guys, time to give 98-02’s some love), could use a gallon or two larger fuel tank, a smidge larger trunk (knowhere nearly as bad as the new Camaro’s and Mustangs though), and three inches longer in length back seat room.

I am still trying to figure out why the 4th gens weren’t designed with true dual exhaust in mind. Coulda used a 12 bolt from the get go, or at least an 8.5 rear.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Probably a combo of space limitation and the almighty dollar consideration. That's why God made electric cutouts.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

I live in IN and commute 65 miles each way every day. I owned f-bodies for years but then had not for about a decade. I went out last year to buy a brand new mpg lil shitbox and instead bought myself a 2001 TA. I drive it year round. In Fact it had 71K and in the past year I now have it up over 100K miles. I bought it to enjoy not sit around. If I am going to put that kinda mileage in a car, I want it to put a smile on my face and these cars do that. I have driven my 97 TA year round as well and knew exactly what I was getting into. With a decent brain and some snow tires they really are not bad to drive in the IN winters at all. I have in 3 winters of winter f-body commutes had about 4 or 5 days I drove truck cause I had to. Deep snow or icy, but for day to day the TA is the go to.
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Probably a combo of space limitation and the almighty dollar consideration. That's why God made electric cutouts.
    I know my neighbors at 7 in the morning wish to God they hadn't made them.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Due to the age, you may have to get used parts or universal parts. Ebay is probably your best source at getting a part new. If you get one with T Tops, get subframe connectors as mine had started to squeak, when I sold it. Test the windows too, as I had to replace my motors. If the windows are going up/down slow, the motor is about to go.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

As far as snow. Just avoid hills. Most winters I had another vehicle that I drove. However, I had one winter where I had no choice and was stuck at work, because we had a hill at the entrance. I had stopped midway up the hill to let an Expedition go (go figure) and that was it. my wheels spun. I tried to back up and go back up the hill as it was snowing hard and 6 inches were already on the ground. It didn't matter anyway, because all the area roads were backed up. The snow started just before rush hour and plows couldn't treat the roads in time. People literally abandoned their cars. This was the winter storm we had back in 2011, where 3 inches fell per hour. It was just my luck. LOL, as it is rare we have a storm that bad.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Where in IN?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

You will love it. If you get a 6 speed do yourself a favor and just get the trans rebuilt when you get it. Start fresh and it will seem like a new car.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Where in IN?
    A few exits before out....

Thread Information