Thread: Cold Air

2002 z28

Cold Air

I see alot of fellows trying to make their z's more like an ss. Well i'm defiantly down for that but i was thinking of going a different approach and having a more custom z thats on par or better than an ss.

Being said k&n vs slp cold air intake? pros cons, and other advice.. when comparing ss to z factors

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by merolla_m View Post
    I see alot of fellows trying to make their z's more like an ss. Well i'm defiantly down for that but i was thinking of going a different approach and having a more custom z thats on par or better than an ss.

Being said k&n vs slp cold air intake? pros cons, and other advice.. when comparing ss to z factors
    hmm.. an ss and z28 has the same lid for the most part.....

2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by dee99gt View Post
    hmm.. an ss and z28 has the same lid for the most part.....
    from my understanding, the 02 ss is pretty much a slp upgraded z, slp intake, slp suspension, slp hood, and slp exhaust about 350 rather than the 315.. from my understanding tho.. im new to the z family, i've got the loudmouth on and sfc as soon as i can cough up some spare cash. but i don't want to turn my z into an ss. Its a z28 lol
    So Inputs ?
    http://www.LMPerformance.com/847/1.html >>K&N
    or the lovely (ss has it)
    http://www.LMPerformance.com/2910/1.html >>SLP

maroon
    2001 z28

fast toys intake is what i have you can tell the change tiny but you can still tell

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

from my understanding, the 02 ss is pretty much a slp upgraded z, slp intake, slp suspension, slp hood, and slp exhaust about 350 rather than the 315.. from my understanding tho.. im new to the z family, i've got the loudmouth on and sfc as soon as i can cough up some spare cash. but i don't want to turn my z into an ss. Its a z28 lol
    So Inputs ?
    http://www.LMPerformance.com/847/1.html >>K&N
    or the lovely (ss has it)
    http://www.LMPerformance.com/2910/1.html >>SLP
    The differences is..

* SS Hood
    * SS 10-spoke wheels
    * More "free flowing" exhaust
    * Light suspension upgrade
    * SS badging
    * SS spoiler
    * Different gear ratios; I believe A4 SS models got 3.23 gearing.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Blackwing lid, dual-dual or CME exhausts, 1LE suspension which was an SS SLP options and not all SS's got them. The horsepower difference from the factory was marginal, definitely not the 20-25 hp advertised. When I bought my SS, I had 3 camaros to pick from and my SS was the cheapest and the other two were Z28s.

Are you talking about doing the free ram air mod?? Or do you just want to install a hood??

The differences is..

* SS Hood
    * SS 10-spoke wheels, or ZR1 5 spoke, all 17 inch dia.
    * More "free flowing" exhaust
    * Larger diameter sway bars with poly bushings.
    * SS badging
    * SS spoiler
    * 3.23 became the standard gear for the autos, 6 speeds remained unchanged.

From there anything additional came from SLP options, such as CME, dual/dual, BFG tires, shocks, floor mats, car cover, etc etc....
    There I fixed it for ya

2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Are you talking about doing the free ram air mod?? Or do you just want to install a hood??
    the intake not the hood, i had thought the SS came with a SLP cai but i guess its just something i have generally always seen and thought it came standard. i posted the two links early for the two im choosing between and was questioning if anyone had experience with eirther

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

honestly i dont think any of them are good. I bought the slp lid and it was a BITCH to get on the MAF. IDK if I got one that was on the bad side of tolerances or something but I ended up dremeling out nearly half the plastic of the lid where it meets the MAF to get it to fit. I should have taken photos..

And yes, I tried everything with heating, cooling, etc. I probly dropped my MAF atleast 3 times trying to get it on.. It's on the MAF so tight right now that I didnt even need the worm clamp at all

ANYWAY
    I wish I honestly just stuck with the stock lid, its really not any different. As far as "cold air intakes" such as the SLP one that comes with duct work and everything, I've read people having problems with it sucking up water and making the engine run hotter because it blocks the radiator..

If I were to do it all over again I would have probably just left it stock or paid the extra $ for a volant one..

I will atleast admit the SLP lid LOOKS much better than the stock one.. That's about it

2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    honestly i dont think any of them are good. I bought the slp lid and it was a BITCH to get on the MAF. IDK if I got one that was on the bad side of tolerances or something but I ended up dremeling out nearly half the plastic of the lid where it meets the MAF to get it to fit. I should have taken photos..

And yes, I tried everything with heating, cooling, etc. I probly dropped my MAF atleast 3 times trying to get it on.. It's on the MAF so tight right now that I didnt even need the worm clamp at all

ANYWAY
    I wish I honestly just stuck with the stock lid, its really not any different. As far as "cold air intakes" such as the SLP one that comes with duct work and everything, I've read people having problems with it sucking up water and making the engine run hotter because it blocks the radiator..

If I were to do it all over again I would have probably just left it stock or paid the extra $ for a volant one..

I will atleast admit the SLP lid LOOKS much better than the stock one.. That's about it
    Yeah that's what i'm thinking, my brother stuck one on his bird and would never shut up about it but I wasn't allowed to drive it so I couldn't form an opinion of my own. The k&n isn't the volant but I think it defiantly would allow the engine to breath more, its free flowing as well no extra vents or nothin, seems like your taking more off than putting on actually.

the intake not the hood, i had thought the SS came with a SLP cai but i guess its just something i have generally always seen and thought it came standard. i posted the two links early for the two im choosing between and was questioning if anyone had experience with eirther
    Oh I understand.

I don't care for the K&N FIPK,,,simply because I just don't care for the look of the filter flopped up on top of the radiator like that. It just looks unfinished in my opinion, and it doesn't help the hood functionality of the SS hood at all. So you lose what ram air affect you had in the first place if you aren't trapping it around the filter.

With that said, I do have the SLP duct work in the other link on one of our SS's. It's basically the free ram air mod, you are just installing duct work to give the air a more direct flow to the bottom of the filter.

I did notice at the track about a 1 tenth and 1 mph difference with the free ram air/slp ductwork in place. I could simply tape it off and make a series of back to back runs and slow the car down.
    As far as water is concerned, you would have to run through a pretty substantial amount of puddled water at a pretty good rate of speed to force it up that far. Quite frankly you shouldn't be driving through deep water in a low hung car like this, and definately not at any amount of speed.
    I've had it for years and driven in heavy down poors without a single issue.

I also have the free ram air mod on our other SS (without the ductwork) and again, no issues, it's driven daily.

If there is any drawback,,,the air filter gets dirty rather quickly. I find that I need to clean ours every couple of months. Get yourself a good reusable washable type of filter, or you will go through alot of money on paper filters.

In the end, I prefer a the clean and simple appearance of a basic lid installed. Then decide if you want to do the free ram air mod from there.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I did the free air mod and just bought an slp lid. I haven't had any issues with the slp lid fitting on my ss.
    Last edited by dee99gt; 02-15-2011 at 09:53 AM.

I took off my stock lid and bought a SLP lid and I haven't had any issues with it fitting my ss.
    Ya I've never had issues with fit either. Some do, some don't. Once I figured out how it is supposed to fit the base, it was fine.

And for the record, they are much different than the stock lid, which has baffling and resonators to slow down and quiet the airflow for noise regulations.
    Aftermarket lids are smooth inside, much larger, and make a smoother transition to the throttle body. Easy bolt on HP gain.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Jones, some came with PS coolers as well

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Jones, some came with PS coolers as well
    All the SS's and WS6's came with power steering coolers as standard equipment, good catch. I should have listed it but didn't. I've become aware this was also on option on regular Z28's and T/A's. Thought that was interesting.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

power steering cooler was standard on Z28 and SS in 2002.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    All the SS's and WS6's came with power steering coolers as standard equipment, good catch. I should have listed it but didn't. I've become aware this was also on option on regular Z28's and T/A's. Thought that was interesting.
    Yeah, I didn't know it was an option either... thought the B4Cs more than likely had it, but that's sweet it was an option for the public

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

SS hoods are sexy.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Just about any lid over stock is good for 7-10hp on the Dyno iirc..

K&N makes good setups but I'd go with an oil-less filter..

The MAF does'nt like the oil, and your engine does'nt like the tons of dirt they (k&n) let in.

Many threads have been started on this issue and many have changed or have gone with paper filters..
    Paper has been proven to filter far better than the K&N and Dyno results don't much back up the HP gain claims by K&N..

I also have the ram air mod, smooth bellows, and have never injested any water or had cooling problems..
    You should'nt drive hard into a deep puddle anyways.. As the water is far more detrimental to your ALT..

I am also drive by wire, so my concerns are much greater than if I had a cable driven TB..
    Yet, again I have yet to see any issues with the ram air mod.
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-25-2011 at 03:28 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information