Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

cobalt VS. Camaro

ok, i already know the answer to this question, but i just want to reassure myself (and my wife) that what im doing isnt a waste! so i currently own a 2005 chevrolet cobalt. SSSSLLLLOOOOOWW!! it still has a year left on the warranty and only 26K miles. i have it up for sale right now so i can get a camaro (2000-20002 ss m6). how much of an increase in performance am i going to see with even a stock ss?! i have never driven one, however i know for a fact that its the car i want. ive driven mustang gts, and thoguht they were slow as hell...(not much of a difference to my car!!). any input would help. thanks a lot!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Lets see, a stock Cobalt SS makes 205 HP, IIRC. A Stock Camaro SS makes 320 or 325hp, depending on the year. So that's another 120hp, plus at least that much more torque, too. Not to mention simple mods will increase that figure.

I don't know the exact times, but you're looking at mid to low 13's in the 1/4, and 0-60 in about 5 seconds with the SS.

So yeah, I think the Camaro will be a little faster.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by wantaLS1 View Post
    ok, i already know the answer to this question, but i just want to reassure myself (and my wife) that what im doing isnt a waste! so i currently own a 2005 chevrolet cobalt. SSSSLLLLOOOOOWW!! it still has a year left on the warranty and only 26K miles. i have it up for sale right now so i can get a camaro (2000-20002 ss m6). how much of an increase in performance am i going to see with even a stock ss?! i have never driven one, however i know for a fact that its the car i want. ive driven mustang gts, and thoguht they were slow as hell...(not much of a difference to my car!!). any input would help. thanks a lot!
    I never drove one either and I knew it was for me!..boy was I right. You won't be disappointed.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

dont forget the throttle response.
    my moms got a cobalt and it even feels slower than my camaro.
    my camaro is rated at 175 hp (its a 305ci)

the reason my car feels alot faster is cuz of the torque and throttle response. u should be impressed with an ss

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    dont forget the throttle response.
    my moms got a cobalt and it even feels slower than my camaro.
    my camaro is rated at 175 hp (its a 305ci)

the reason my car feels alot faster is cuz of the torque and throttle response. u should be impressed with an ss
    ss? i'd say an ls1..nothing special about an ss

Red
    01 Camaro SS & 1995 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    ss? i'd say an ls1..nothing special about an ss
    Yup...nothing special at all about an SS!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Ovechkin~Monk View Post
    Yup...nothing special at all about an SS!
    nothing special about an ss over a z28 is what i meant...don't get me wrong camaros are special by themselves....not to get too far off topic here but i don't see the point in spending extra money on the car and more for insurance for a hood scoop, a tad better suspension (which you could buy yourself and get a better suspension) and a different exhaust and 3.23's. I just don't see the point..but hey if you want one that is an ss because it's an ss that's cool...

No offense to you SS guys, don't want to piss anyone off, just trying to make a point here.

Red
    01 Camaro SS & 1995 T/A

nothing special about an ss over a z28 is what i meant...don't get me wrong camaros are special by themselves....not to get too far off topic here but i don't see the point in spending extra money on the car and more for insurance for a hood scoop, a tad better suspension (which you could buy yourself and get a better suspension) and a different exhaust and 3.23's. I just don't see the point..but hey if you want one that is an ss because it's an ss that's cool...

No offense to you SS guys, don't want to piss anyone off, just trying to make a point here.
    No offense taken bro!

Z's are cool......SS's are cool.

Just different types of cool.

I'm an SS man myself. And I see you are at Offutt. I'm stationed up here in Minot. Good to see some USAF representation.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I agree with you even though I drive a SS. LS1 is a LS1 doesn't matter what model its in...all you need to know is that it will be hauling ass(period)

white
    2002 z28

colbolt ss come on, instaed of night and day, its night a light years

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Hehe from a slow car to one of the fastest one the roads, yea i think there is a slight difference

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

oops. sorry idk why i said ss. i guess i jsut meant ls1... u all knew what i meant haha

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Ovechkin~Monk View Post
    No offense taken bro!

Z's are cool......SS's are cool.

Just different types of cool.

I'm an SS man myself. And I see you are at Offutt. I'm stationed up here in Minot. Good to see some USAF representation.

I know a guy up there with a white z. He just got it and he put new long tubes on it and some kind of an exhaust, i'm sure he'd be down for a race if you ever run into him.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

As soon as you sell the Cobalt, and get into the Camaro, SS or Z28, your wife will notice a immediate increase in your size, both length, and width....in the size of your car of course, what were you thinking bro??? Seriously though, this is a night and day differance, and you'll STILL get about 28 MPG highway with a M6 give or take.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

LS1 all the way...unless you don't think you can control RWD... ...

tims98ss

RED
    1998 SS CONVERTIBLE

2006 cobalt ss supercharged will run 15-15.2 in the quarter
    ls1 camaro will run 13.2-13.6
    doesnt sound like alot till you line them up and the camaro is out 4-5 car lengths

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tims98ss View Post
    2006 cobalt ss supercharged will run 15-15.2 in the quarter
    ls1 camaro will run 13.2-13.6
    doesnt sound like alot till you line them up and the camaro is out 4-5 car lengths
    is that the n/a or sc

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    is that the n/a or sc
    Are you talking about the cobalt or camaro? The camaro is n/a and cobalt is sc

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

The cobalt is actually just a 2.2L 4cyl. its not even the supercharged version! like i said, i know its going to be a HUGE difference but ive never driven one. right now, i stomp the gas.....and wait......and wait.....then im moving!! haha. i drove a GT mustang was was ridiculously disappointed! im still debating whether i should get the Z28 or SS. but anyway, i appreciate all the advice!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by wantaLS1 View Post
    The cobalt is actually just a 2.2L 4cyl. its not even the supercharged version! like i said, i know its going to be a HUGE difference but ive never driven one. right now, i stomp the gas.....and wait......and wait.....then im moving!! haha. i drove a GT mustang was was ridiculously disappointed! im still debating whether i should get the Z28 or SS. but anyway, i appreciate all the advice!
    Like i said a few posts up..there's not a huge difference performance wise with an ss vs. a z28 so just go with what you think looks bests. We all hope you make the right decision and get one, regardless of what package you decide on....i think you'll be impressed if you just go find a decent one at a dealership and take it for a fun run.

Thread Information