Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cited for Exhaust in So-Cal

This is a discussion on Cited for Exhaust in So-Cal within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; What bothers me the most about loud exhaust is motorcycles don't have the same laws as cars in NY. That ...

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

What bothers me the most about loud exhaust is motorcycles don't have the same laws as cars in NY. That is complete bull, i was pulled over once for loud pipes and a harley went by me and the officer looked at it, i asked what about his exhaust? he laughed and said they don't count

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit02
    What bothers me the most about loud exhaust is motorcycles don't have the same laws as cars in NY. That is complete bull, i was pulled over once for loud pipes and a harley went by me and the officer looked at it, i asked what about his exhaust? he laughed and said they don't count
    well thats not true here in mass or nh.in fact my cousin got pulled over in hampton beach.nh for loud pipes on his harley.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird99
    well thats not true here in mass or nh.in fact my cousin got pulled over in hampton beach.nh for loud pipes on his harley.

Well, in california those loud motorcycles are not subject to the same rules... they are much louder than my car.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rampage76
    Well, I just got back from the referee testing center. I failed the test miserably. The driver's side was 104 decibels and the passenger side was a steady 112 decibels. As forementioned, the limit is 95. They took it to 3900 RPM for the testing which is higher than I take it ever unless I'm getting on the highway... but the point, I failed and now I need to figure out what to do.
    Why did they pick 3900rpm's? I'd go back and demand to see where it says to rev it to 3900 instead of any other rpm. Sounds like they just reved it until you failed the test..and said "awww, you failed...too bad"...screw that.

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

Quote Originally Posted by firebird99
    Well when i get my harley i'm putting drag pipes on that thing, and they thought my loudmouth was to loud

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Why did they pick 3900rpm's? I'd go back and demand to see where it says to rev it to 3900 instead of any other rpm. Sounds like they just reved it until you failed the test..and said "awww, you failed...too bad"...screw that.

No, I saw the printout. They said that they lookup the vehicle on this online chart... by year, make, model. Mine was listed at 3900 and that's where they supposedly tested it. I never take my car up to 3900 RPM so it seems ridiculous to test it at that level. For example, I got the citation when I was parked at just under 1 RPM. There is no way I was violating any law when the cop wrote the ticket.

FYI - After having CHP sign off on the corrections, I went to court and the judge dismissed all charges.

white
    2002 z28

i know here in detroit you cant have any tint on drivers side or passenger side, and i mean any %of tint. only if you have a docters note for sensiive eyes

If it makes you feel any better, my family lives in Sacramento and they keep me informed on smog laws and anything pertaining to cars.
    They sent me a news paper clipping (this was about 7-8 months ago) that stated Sac had passed several laws where cops could pull over any car that appeared to be modified in anyway,,,window tint,,,visible mufflers (fart cans) or loud exhaust, shiny wheels, and even stickers in the windows that advertised speed parts were listed,,,lol. Basically it gives the cops permission to pull any car over that meets these suspisions,,,at that point the cop can open your hood and look for aftermarket cold air intakes etc...and if he finds anything he doesn't like it's his discretion whether to simply write a ticket or even have the car deemed not road worthy and have it towed.
    This entire pile of crap was put in affect to put a dent in street racing,,,or so they say. I haven't heard much about it since the article, but if Sacramento has it,,,it's very possible they implimented this down at Long Beach where you are and you simply became a victim of it. I would guess you are lucky they didn't tow the car on the spot. Yikes. California has some really screwed up laws when it comes to cars,,,I wish Arnold would straighten that crap out.
    It's reasons like these that I won't move back to California where my family is. Screw the weather,,,I can have sunshine in Arizona Larry.

Black
    2002 Camaro ss

Thumbs up

greatwhiteZ28 is correct about the tint in Michigan.

I had a 1997 ss, red with 100 % black windows, and it was a magnet for the State Police, they zero in on any car with windows like that in Michigan. I am type 1 diabetic and the sun bothers my eyes a lot. My doctor gave me a paper saying as much with his signature on it and I had no more trouble. The '97 had the windows done when I bought it. My 2002 does not have the windows tinted and I will not have it done. I don't like the Police pulling me over all the time even though I have the paper from my doc.

As far as the sound, man those harley bikes are just terrible. You know they did not come that way from the factory. Here where I live some of them are just unreal. The sound they make is, well you all know what I am talking about, yet the Police here don't mind them at all. I have loudmouth 11 on my Camaro and hope to have no problems with the Police. Most Police are great guys just doing their job. But if those harleys get away with what they do ...

I have rode Honda motorcycles to the west coast of Canada three times and I can not imagine doing that on one of those harley heaps. But today's motorcycle generation like to pull their bikes out west and then ride them around once they get there.

Time I got off my soapbox

Hope you get through your troubles

jess

white
    1998 Z28

kind of unusual for an officer to pull over a domestic.. i also live in so-cal and the restrictions here are a joke. an intake will stop a car from passing smog.. everything has to be stock. dont know why he pulled you over i run headers and a y pipe and ive never been cited for anything

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Thank God I moved out of Kalifornia! From having been a car Mecca to today is like night and day.

I agree, it's getting worse everyday it seems out there. I will be joining you in Arizona real soon, although not down in Tempe, We are staying out of Maricopa county due to the e-check,,,moving north to Prescott so we can have more freedom with the cars,,,lol. Larry.

black
    1999 trans am ws6

So gland i lve in England !!
    We have none of this to contend with!!!

If you run open headers your gonna get done but other than that, even no cats are normally ok (except for testing time)

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

I live in So Cal, used to live in Torrance, near Long Beach. Long Beach is getting a bad rap for high crime, increased black gangs, increased shootings, etc. Every night they are on the news for something. I think that the police are just trying to show a presence and going about it the wrong way. Torrance is a very strict town and I went a few years with my loud mouth (no mufflers) and dark tinted windows and an SLP PERFORMANCE sticker on my windshield and never once was pulled over. Cops just stare at my car with admiration and that's it. I live in Camarillo now and hardly ever even see a cop anymore. Still no citations and haven't even had to have my car smogged yet and I bought it in 2000. I am sure this is the year it will have to pass smog. Glad everything worked out ok except you had to remove your tint. (which every other car in CA has on their windows)

SMKDFRD
    I live in NOR-Cal and other than local ordiances I think that the laws are pretty much the same. I think that they just pulled you over becasue there is a certain amount of tickets an officer has to write up per day. So he probly just picked you because he could write two or three tickets at one time. Good luck fight them.

Ha ha, what a small world, my wife works for a company in Torrance called Stewart over on Sepulveda blvd. They have a plant here in Cinci too but we cly out to Torrance quite a bit on business. Man that is one congested area. Larry.

Iraq money well spent. TRY ME GT's Avatar

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

California bro. TOO liberal for me. I like to call it the land of fruits and nuts.

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ha ha, what a small world, my wife works for a company in Torrance called Stewart over on Sepulveda blvd. They have a plant here in Cinci too but we cly out to Torrance quite a bit on business. Man that is one congested area. Larry.
    That is the exact reason that I moved to Camarillo. Traffic was getting bad and since I don't speak Chinese, I couldn't communicate with any of my neighbors.

Silver
    2002 Z28

what is this referee stuff you guys talk about? Is that just a Cali thing.. I run both cuouts open by cops sometimes and they do not care, of course I shut them if I need to haha. Stock exahust is not loud, its very soft...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information