Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cited for Exhaust in So-Cal

This is a discussion on Cited for Exhaust in So-Cal within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Zboner that is some bullshit man, hell in kentucky they could give a shit less, i run ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    that is some bullshit man, hell in kentucky they could give a shit less, i run a cutout 100% of the time and i have never been pulled over for it

You know what hurts most -- the 60k in taxes I will pay this year. My house has been broken into, my car vandelized, and the long beach cops spend their 'busy' times writing ME tickets for a modified exhaust. I mean, seriously... catch some bad guys and leave the good tax paying citizens alone!

The jack-ass was probably writing some guy an exhaust citation while my house was being broken into. More money in giving citations then catching criminals

Black
    99 SS

i think if i paid 60k in taxes i would move to a different state man, sorry sounds like one you have a good job or you play a major league sport and have tons of cash. so that you would be able to find a job somewhere else??? you must make over 300k a year to pay taxes like that

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Enough crying

You ever hear of traffic cops??? That's all they do and that's all they are assigned to do. Maybe we should all just run straight pipes with no laws. Get a life and end this whining thread!!

i think if i paid 60k in taxes i would move to a different state man, sorry sounds like one you have a good job or you play a major league sport and have tons of cash. so that you would be able to find a job somewhere else??? you must make over 300k a year to pay taxes like that

Well, that is another great thing about living in california. We are hit with state income tax, and then if you are independent (recently me), you have to pay the Self-employeed tax too. 7% state, 7.5% self employment - So I keep a large portion of my income aside for taxes. I moved here from Texas and being a non-white male, I have to admit that california is a much better environment to live in... at least the cops here don't illegally tear apart my car searching for drugs that don't exist which has happened to me in Texas on more than one occasion. I swear to god, you get the urge to kill some cops... just squeeze the life out of their racist pathetic lives. If I had more money, I would fight unfair charges with a top notch attorney. What makes it worse is that I am a straight-edge, national guard member and I have made many sacrifices to support our way of life. Being subjected to racism and unfair profiling really bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    You ever hear of traffic cops??? That's all they do and that's all they are assigned to do. Maybe we should all just run straight pipes with no laws. Get a life and end this whining thread!!

If you are speeding, then you are (supposedly) creating danger for other vehicles and you should (sometimes) be corrected. Traffic cops SOMETIMES are doing their job and that is fine with me. Having a modified exhaust isn't the same thing. Especially when you are not even driving the car when you are cited! This is more like harrassment.

Black
    99 SS

can i ask what your job is then??

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

15. “Cop bashing”

Persistent or purposeful “cop bashing” is not allowed. Referring to a LEO, cop, policeman, etc is appropriate but unproven defamatory remarks or titles will not be tolerated.

I live in San Diego and can't believe what happend to you. Personally I'de make a visit to the District Attorney's office. thats BOGUS - srry to hear about it.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

2009 CTS4 Ice Black

2013 1500 Silverado Z71

02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

Red
    2000 SLP Camaro SS

Hey GMPOWER..............I would love to see a pic of your all around tint (thats crazy) In chicago they would pull you over every block for that and maybe just let your ass have a couple bullets for the hell of it!!!! lol pics would be awesome man!

can i ask what your job is then??

I'm an oracle db developer who very recently went independent. I am seriously considering buying a new car after this weekend. I cannot stand being harrassed by police.

I just had the tint removed from my windows.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rampage76
    I'm an oracle db developer who very recently went independent. I am seriously considering buying a new car after this weekend. I cannot stand being harrassed by police.

I just had the tint removed from my windows.
    Dude c'mon..no need for a new car. Try paying the fine and then be done with it...odds are you won't get another ticket unless you floor it next to a cop. There are quieter catbacks out there also...magnaflow is a little more tame....so if you're paranoid about getting another ticket either replace the catback or apply for a job at the local PD

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

I hope I don't get in trouble with my Camaro I'm picking up this weekend. It has 3" straight pipes from the cat back.

Black
    99 SS

you wont i run a cutout and i have a massive cam and custom Y pipe with no cats

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Dude c'mon..no need for a new car. Try paying the fine and then be done with it...odds are you won't get another ticket unless you floor it next to a cop. There are quieter catbacks out there also...magnaflow is a little more tame....so if you're paranoid about getting another ticket either replace the catback or apply for a job at the local PD

I already spent years in the army, no more public service for me!

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

What a joke...I mean I really do respect police officers and everyone else that protects us day to day, but I think they are abusing the power they have. For example, on my way home today I was riding with my family in a 45 M.P.H. zone going maybe 50 and a cop comes blazing past us at least going 70 with no blue lights or sirens or anything. In my opinion, the only reason someone should be pulled over is if they are in some way endangering other people. Having an exhaust that is "too loud" is just an opinion. I understand that they have set a limit (in your case, 95 dB), but when this limit was set, it was just as much of an opinion then as it is now. After all, if there is any damage done by the loudness of your car, it is going to be to yourself. You are the one that deals with the noise day in and day out and you are the one that did this to your exhaust. The surrounding people only have to "deal with" the noise your car makes for a few seconds. So if you want to damage your ears, go right ahead! I know I am, and it's my choice to do so. Hell, the damned semi's are louder than your car! When they downshift or backfire or whatever the hell it is they are doing when they make that loud popping noise, that is louder than what your car is making.

Black
    97 Formula

It's because Kalifornia is a communist run state. They pass ridiculous no-common sense laws that they think is "good for everyone". When they could be fighting illegal immigrants, the MS13 street gang, drug smuggling, and god knows what else, they pass laws making air filters illegal.

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by rampage76
    I was stopped in my driveway by a cop in Long Beach, CA yesterday. He gave me three citations including one for exhaust and one for tint and one for proof of insurance. I havn't modified my car in 6.5 years and this is the first time a cop has cited me for these violations. The cops were very rude and treated me like a criminal for some reason and they kept telling me to show my hands... (this is after showing registration and license). I am not sure what is going on in my area, but the cops have been in full force writing citations recently.

A few things are wrong with this picture... First, they stopped me at my apartment as I pulled into the driveway. The cops had pulled someone else over and were blocking the driveway as I tried to enter. I suppose they decided to make another convenient sale by citing me.

Second, I have not changed my car in 6+ years. My exhaust is legal, my tint is legal, and I showed my insurance but he wasn't satisfied since it wasn't the actual insurance card (e-policy).

After some research, I have found the procedure for the exhaust citation is to make an appointment with a referee center and have a Compliance Test done to make sure my exhaust is under 95 db's. Then you have to take the paperwork to the court and pay the court fees and hopefully have the citation dismissed. I have the borla exhaust on my car, but it isn't much louder than the original. For god's sake, I have a 2000 Camaro SS -- its going to make noise!!

Has this happened to anyone else? There is nothing wrong with my exhaust and the cop said that the ticket was for having a modified exhaust. But having a modified exhaust is not illegal unless it fails to meet the smog/noise standards. You can't get the noise test done, UNTIL you get a citation! This entire process seems seriously flawed! The police are not required to meet any standards for the citation -- it is completely at their discretion, making the taxpaying citizens completely vunerable to being cited for essentially nothing.

Does anyone have any information that might be helpful to me? Any ideas on how to proceed with the tint problem?

Thanks,
    just sounds like the cop was out to make his quater and didnt give two shits about you...kinda unfair if i might say..did you get the ticket dismissed?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

it gets worse. according to cali laws, no vehicle subject to cali registration shall have a modified exhasut. Im from tx and have tx plates and i still got a ticket for it. i said fuck it and paid it and accepted it would be on my record. oh well. i think that its BS i got one even though my car isnt registered in cali. i called the court and explained my situation to them and they said, so BS about i was still breaking the law since i was in cali. i was like what if i was just passing through? how can this be justified. the lady was a real bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    it gets worse. according to cali laws, no vehicle subject to cali registration shall have a modified exhasut. Im from tx and have tx plates and i still got a ticket for it. i said fuck it and paid it and accepted it would be on my record. oh well. i think that its BS i got one even though my car isnt registered in cali. i called the court and explained my situation to them and they said, so BS about i was still breaking the law since i was in cali. i was like what if i was just passing through? how can this be justified. the lady was a real bitch.

Not sure where you are reading this.. http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdffacts/noise91503.pdf

There are alot of rumors about what is legal and what is not legal. It can be confusing to figure it out. But california regulations clearly say that modification is not illegal if it does not violate smog or noise regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird99
    just sounds like the cop was out to make his quater and didnt give two shits about you...kinda unfair if i might say..did you get the ticket dismissed?

No. If fact, this ticket can only be dismissed if my car passes the sound test, which it has not.. I have decided to pay the ticket and hope it doesn't happen again. I am not ready to buy another exhaust system because one cop has a power-trip.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information