Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Question Check this "Shaker/Cold Air" kit out.....

Thoughts? I'm kind of intrigued as I do have the cowl hood........
    BTW, sorry if this has been posted before....

removed non sponsor link
    Last edited by konigandy6; 06-28-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Interesting, but not one pic in the link with the hood shut. Kind of difficult to see the finished product without that shot.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Interesting, but not one pic in the link with the hood shut. Kind of difficult to see the finished product without that shot.
    I agree, I don't quite know what to make of it.....

It does look like it could have potential though.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Sorry... I had to remove the link to a non sponsor.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Sorry... I had to remove the link to a non sponsor.
    oops sorry.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by sworn View Post
    oops sorry.
    That's ok.

If you wanted to post the pictures that would be ok, but per forum rules, we can't have direct links to non sponsor sale items.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Awww... Post up the picture.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Awww... Post up the picture.
    Here ya go. I was intrigued as it might work well with my CI hood........

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i've been toying around with building some sort of an intake similar in nature to this ever since i got my cowl hood on the car. i've had some ideas as to how to go about it and i see that they've done essentially the same thing that i was thinking of...i mean they did but not really and for certain obvious reasons. i was going to be using an SLP lid as the base for mine but i've only got one and i don't want to screw it up.

it's an interesting idea but i'm not sure how much it is really going to help over a traditional setup or even verses a fenderwell cold air setup. this design pulls air from under the hood at the very top of the underside of the hood where temps are likely to be highest (since heat rises).

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

it's an interesting idea but i'm not sure how much it is really going to help over a traditional setup or even verses a fenderwell cold air setup. this design pulls air from under the hood at the very top of the underside of the hood where temps are likely to be highest (since heat rises).
    Well said. I wish there was more information about this product as it would be easier to make an informed decision.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

yeah i'd like to see a test with an air temp sensor in the intake. readings of the air temp charge with a stock or the free ram air mod and air temp reading with a kid like this.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Actually If you ever seen a diagram of the benefits of a cowl induction hood.
    I just looked for a link but could find one, sorry
    -
    The air flows over the hood then kinda swirls around at the cowl/window area. The cool air then rolls up into the engine thru the hood openning. So in theory this set up should work. And with just the hood the cool air blowing in should help cool the engine bay slightly. But hell I like Cowl induction hoods just cause they look bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by sworn View Post
    Here ya go. I was intrigued as it might work well with my CI hood........

Click for full size
    I don't get it,,,where's the shaker?

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I don't get it,,,where's the shaker?
    There's another pic that I didn't post with an old 6.6L style shaker bolted up. I was less concerned with this as I have the CI hood.

The air flows over the hood then kinda swirls around at the cowl/window area. The cool air then rolls up into the engine thru the hood openning. So in theory this set up should work. And with just the hood the cool air blowing in should help cool the engine bay slightly. But hell I like Cowl induction hoods just cause they look bad ass.
    This!

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Thought 6LE was a sponsor here. o well

Guy on tech named raleigh t/a has the setup from Mark with a shaker on it I am sure if u ask him Russ would be kind enough to post you some pics.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by st_cspeer View Post
    Actually If you ever seen a diagram of the benefits of a cowl induction hood.
    I just looked for a link but could find one, sorry
    -
    yeah the cowl is the best place to get cold air from for induction...the only concern that i have/had was with city stop/go driving. and i'm sure the guys at the racetrack would have their concerns with it also. you want power out of the hole from a dead stop i don't know if this is the best thing out there. once you start moving and the air starts going over the hood you get vacuum at the cowl so you get a good air mass drawn into the engine bay (if you have the cowl opened up into the bay).

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    Thought 6LE was a sponsor here. o well

Guy on tech named raleigh t/a has the setup from Mark with a shaker on it I am sure if u ask him Russ would be kind enough to post you some pics.
    that is one sharp t/a that he has there. i see that he avoided the heat issue by cutting the hood open and putting a small shaker out the top of the hood. i messaged him though so hopefully a response to answer some of our questions.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

e-mailed russ and here is our correspondence...

Originally Posted by 1MileCrash
    how's it goin. i'm new on LS1tech...only because somebody pointed me directly towards you from LS1.com.

> Nice to be famous and have a fan club --- HaHa!

somebody came across the 6LE cowl induction setup and it was stated that you had one on your car. it looks really nice by the way i like how you did yours up 2nd gen style.

> I grew up in the 70's and fell in love with the 2nd gens (never owned one, but my friends had them) When I saw the Heritage Trans Am that GM build for the 2003 Woodward Dream Cruise that commerated the last of the TA's with features of multiple generations; I wanted one so bad.

we were talking about the finer points of the setup and the big questions that i had about it involved heat and performance. i see that you avoided the heat issue by cutting a standard firebird hood. if i got this setup (or made my own as i've been thinking about doing for quite some time now) i would be putting it under a cowl induction style hood and routing the air towards some sort of a modded air box. that is the point where the question of heat came into play.

> I tried to design an airbox for years, but never fabricated one. I was excited when 6Litereater Designs introduced his last year and immediately bought one. I really wanted my scoop to shake with the hood closed like 2nd gens, but the downward slope of 4th gen hoods would not cooperate. It shakes nicely with an open hood. So heat huh? I haven't really daily drove the car since installing the 6LE box. I just drove it 700+ miles round trip over Memorial Day weekend to the F-Body Gathering in Atlanta, and had no heat issues, not have I ever had a heat problem in traffic. I read a bunch on cowl induction vs. front induction, and was satisfied that plenty of cool air is coming in for the windshield. I ran a Fast Toys Ram Air duct system prior to the airbox, and that takes air off the ground and routes it right in front of the radiator, and only occasionally saw a temp increase in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...12#post2673612

the other question was performance. response, feel, sound...driveability especially in the rain. any high points or low points or anything like that.

> No real noticeable performance, response, feel, sound changes noted vs FTRA. I try not to drive in the rain, and since I have alternative cars, it is only on trips when I am forced to. Right after a rain, some water will pool in my airbox. I feel it go through and it scares the shit out of me. It starts fine, and about 1/2 mile into the drive, it bucks when I get to about 2K RPM, I let off and drive it below 2K for a few minutes, and then it is fine. I have opened it and lifted the filter and saw the water under the filter (I use K&N. 6LE assures me that there is engineering that prevents H2O from entering the motor, but my experience seems to tell me differently. Under a cowl, I see much less potential for water to enter when the car sits, but about the same probability when the car runs in the rain. I have installed a flap in my scoop, and I think that reduces the water intake some, but I would really think twice about daily driving it when heavy rain was in the forecast.

anyway...just curious. take care...have a nice Independence Day weekend.

> back at you!

Russ

-Andrew

Depends on whether the shaker is facing forward or backward, and how high it sits over the base of the hood.
    There is a dead pressure area close to the surface of the hood. For any scoop to be affective, it needs an inlet above the hood of at least 2-3 inches.
    Also the further forward the scoop is, the more effective it is. Some of the best ram air designs out there from the factory would be something like this.....
    My formy

It's affective enough that at speeds over 75 mph the turbulance in the air cleaner would blow the crank case filter out of it's holder. I had to wire tie it down. I get large bugs laying in the base of the air cleaner

Here is a shaker on my Mach. Looks cool and it moves with the engine, but not as effective. As you can see, it doesn't sit as high over the surface of the hood, and it's pretty far back from the front. Most of the air has bounced off the front of the car and is going over the top of the shaker rather than in.
    I have to admit, Ford was better at sticking their shakers a bit higher than the chrysler shakers of that same era.

Here is the cowl induction on my chevelle. It works okay but not quite as effective as one would think. I've blocked it off at the track before without seeing much difference at all.

Here is a dual snorkle ram air setup on my pickup truck, with 5" tubing on both sides, connected right through the core support and picking up air through the grille, which is being forced in head on at speed. Very very effective, again, another car that gets large bugs in the base of the air cleaner This is probably one of the more effective ways of doing it. Olds started using this idea on their W-30's in 66.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-01-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Wow FBJ, awesome collection!!!!!

Thread Information