Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

check out this video

check out this video it is a 2010 camaro vs a ls1 trans am lightly modded, just exhaust i think. anyways about 2 min in is when the real action starts. the camaro claims the TA is lieing about his mods but i dont think so. i drove a 2010 ss and it just doesnt seem to have the same grunt as my 02. what do you guys think.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so_petBIx64&playnext_from=QL[/ame]

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

l99's are no ls3.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    l99's are no ls3.

That is still supposed to be a 400hp car, ls3 or not. That trans am might me 345hp with the mods listed and I'm being generous. And its still mopping the floor up with that camaro.

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

This video is horribly edited

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    That is still supposed to be a 400hp car, ls3 or not. That trans am might me 345hp with the mods listed and I'm being generous. And its still mopping the floor up with that camaro.
    400hp at the crank, and the t/a is lighter, and the t/a has some light mods w/ tires. A manual will outrun a auto at top speed and since the auto never got the hit I'm not surprised.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

you see the turning radious difference lol around 2 min??? but still that camaro should win with 400 hp

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

exactlly my point! I drove the 6 speed ls3 and I honestly was not impressed. It seemed quite doggish compared to my ls1 M6

Black
    98 Z28

400hp at the crank, and the t/a is lighter, and the t/a has some light mods w/ tires. A manual will outrun a auto at top speed and since the auto never got the hit I'm not surprised.

And I understand all that. My point here is that a 400hp gen 5 Camaro SS should be able in stock form to put away a lightly modded gen 4, period. The video although poor quality is an exellent representation of what many of us will be facing at he dealer. Do I or don't I want to trade or sell my gen 4 F-body for a newer, heavier, slower SS Camaro.

I cannot for the life of me understand why GM would bother to resurrect the F-body and make it slower. Its 400hp and 300lbs heavier, it just seems to me that more thought should have gone into the design of this car. More hp is great, more weight is shooting yourself in the foot. They continue to find ways to make the vette lighter where is this thought process when it comes to the camaro?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    exactlly my point! I drove the 6 speed ls3 and I honestly was not impressed. It seemed quite doggish compared to my ls1 M6
    It does feel different than an ls1 car that's for sure. My mom has a 10 SS A6 and it feels very sluggish, even though it really isn't. It's just a completely different beast.

And I understand all that. My point here is that a 400hp gen 5 Camaro SS should be able in stock form to put away a lightly modded gen 4, period. The video although poor quality is an exellent representation of what many of us will be facing at he dealer. Do I or don't I want to trade or sell my gen 4 F-body for a newer, heavier, slower SS Camaro.

I cannot for the life of me understand why GM would bother to resurrect the F-body and make it slower. Its 400hp and 300lbs heavier, it just seems to me that more thought should have gone into the design of this car. More hp is great, more weight is shooting yourself in the foot. They continue to find ways to make the vette lighter where is this thought process when it comes to the camaro?
    The pounds will come off once they get out from using the G8/Holden platform.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It isn't slower just heavier they run stock low 13's to mid 13's. And considering what comes w/ the new camaro (motor, interior, new chassis) you only pay 3k more than you did with a fully optioned one back in 02. The price of the camaro is able to stay so low because they don't throw all that engineering at it like they do the corvette.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

It isn't slower just heavier they run stock low 13's to mid 13's. And considering what comes w/ the new camaro (motor, interior, new chassis) you only pay 3k more than you did with a fully optioned one back in 02. The price of the camaro is able to stay so low because they don't throw all that engineering at it like they do the corvette.
    Very true, but at least the 5th Gen already has plenty of very good aftermarket parts available for it!

So if you still want corvette(or better) speed and handling with a 5th Gen. you're still going to need to sink some money into it!

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

That is interesting...

The stock 2010 Camaro is deffinetly supposed to be faster than a Stock 4th gen.

Obviously this 4th gen is not stock, but the mods should have it keeping up with / slightly beating that stock Camaro not creaming it.

Does anyone know the exact weight difference?

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    you see the turning radious difference lol around 2 min??? but still that camaro should win with 400 hp
    yea the turning radius on the T/A's do suck, but i wouldnt get rid of my car for the world

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    That is interesting...

The stock 2010 Camaro is deffinetly supposed to be faster than a Stock 4th gen.

Obviously this 4th gen is not stock, but the mods should have it keeping up with / slightly beating that stock Camaro not creaming it.

Does anyone know the exact weight difference?
    1998-2002 Trans am
    Curb Weight : 3495-3517 lbs(coupe), 3605-3627 lbs(convertible)

2010 Camaro SS
    Curb Weight : 3849-3902 lbs

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

1998-2002 Trans am
    Curb Weight : 3495-3517 lbs(coupe), 3605-3627 lbs(convertible)

2010 Camaro SS
    Curb Weight : 3849-3902 lbs
    wow! that thing is pushing 2 tons. the convertable next year is gonna be a pig. dont get me wrong I love the styling and comfort of the 2010, but it just aint as quick as i expected

Black
    98 Z28

A bone stock 98-02 LS1 camaro runs mid 13's and does so with about 320hp. A lightly modded one like the T/A in the video should be running high 12's or very low 13s. By the way he smoked that SS I'd say he may be doing better than that, especially if that SS runs a 13.3. The point here is we have a 2010 camaro thats making at least 80 more hp than the Gen 4 and its running the same time? So in other words in order for a 2010 Camaro to beat a lightly modded LS1 you need to be at what 450hp? You do realize that a 2011 Mustang GT is very close to the same weight as the 98-02 F-body right?

Now Im sure the same technology that went into the vette isn't going into the camaro but surely GM can do better than that, they did it before. By the looks of this video, if I have to face off with a new Mustang GT I might be better off in the car I have now. And for the kind of coin there asking for that SS around here, thats pretty pathetic.
    Last edited by Lethal Z; 05-04-2010 at 07:38 PM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

pathetic indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Black
    2000 Z-28

Apparently they left a lot on the table w/ those 2010 autos in terms of tuning.

Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

also loses a lot of torque with the 20's.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I have to admit, ive driven several A6 and manuals not to mention used A6 from Avis that we sold. When you put a few thousand miles on the motors and speaking from experience i drove one with 9,000+ miles and another one with about 16 they felt much stronger and not as sluggish. I have to say this is fairly common, i drove a used A6 Vette and it was very noticable to me that it was much faster then a Brand new one. I still agree with above comment i know its heavy but a 400hp car should pull on the LS1 Camaro or T/A but then again ive seen some T/A's and Camaro's pull some impressive dyno numbers and the weight of the 5th gen doesnt help any.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Thread Information