Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Center Mount Exhaust?

This is a discussion on Center Mount Exhaust? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 I think the actual SLP CME valance is a one piece design. Other aftermarket ones are ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    I think the actual SLP CME valance is a one piece design. Other aftermarket ones are two pieces that Ive seen though.
    The SLP version was a 1 piece design.

Bright Red
    2000 Camaro

Wel as previousley stated, what about the quad tip on the 98' to 2000??

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ssturd View Post
    Wel as previousley stated, what about the quad tip on the 98' to 2000??
    wasnt that just pulled off a late '90s early 2000 vette? because i dont think it was a camaro option.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    wasnt that just pulled off a late '90s early 2000 vette? because i dont think it was a camaro option.
    Nope. Don't think so. I know SLP has/had them on there site not long ago. They might not be there anymore knowing them though...

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    It was an SLP option, no real added HP. It is a highly desired upgrade for the Camaros though.
    The SLP manuel that came with my car claims it adds 10HP. Not sure if it's referring to the low restriction exhaust or the CME but for sure it says that.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I know for a fact 98 only offered the Dual/Dual exhaust option from SLP, no Center Mounting. The quad tip was available directly from SLP for quite awhile in the aftermarket.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    The SLP manuel that came with my car claims it adds 10HP. Not sure if it's referring to the low restriction exhaust or the CME but for sure it says that.
    I know what the manual claims. Notice how I put "no real added HP" though.

Have you ever read where SLP also claims their headers gain 41 RWHP

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I know what the manual claims. Notice how I put "no real added HP" though.

Have you ever read where SLP also claims their headers gain 41 RWHP
    So what exactly is "real added HP?" I always thought even 1 HP was real added HP. I am positive that SLP low restriction exhaust adds HP over stock may not be 10 but it's a gain in the positive. No I haven't read about SLP headers they are something I am not interested in.
    Last edited by SAGGIN; 06-09-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    So what exactly is "real added HP?" I always thought even 1 HP was real added HP. I am positive that SLP low restriction exhaust adds HP over stock may not be 10 but it's a gain in the positive. No I haven't read about SLP headers they are something I am not interested in.
    The SLP catback is where the added HP comes from with the stainless transverse muffler,,,,which came on the dual/dual cars and also the CME cars. Thats where the extra 10 HP claim comes from,,,,which is typical of any 3 inch catback system.

The CME was simply an extra cost option on top of the catback option,,,but did nothing for HP,,,it was appearance only.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I'm in agreeance with the above; The CME adds no power, it was the SLP cat back that added this theoretical 10 HP.

And the 2-tipped exhaust was a factory SLP option, while the quad tip was never offerred through GM or SLP as a factory option, but instead as a aftermarket SLP exhaust. Last I checked they were still available.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

IMO.... it doesnt matter what type of cat back you get, they will all "increase" your hp. however, they increase it by so little, that its just numbers on paper in theory. you never really notice the difference on our cars. because on our cars if you're pushing 340hp, then 350 hp doesnt feel any different. just my opinion.

just choose the exhaust you like the look and sound of. if you are looking to increase power, there are much better ways to spend time and money.

i like the cme.

Yep thats true,,,,and the SLP cat back with transverse muffler works just as well as any other 3 inch cat back so SLP's 10 HP claim really isn't just a guess, it's pretty much on par with other cat backs.

So if it's already on the car you won't really see anything changing it to another catback, whether you have the dual/dual tips or the CME,,,it's still the same system from the I-pipe to the muffler.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    sorry that car isnt washed and shiny.... but this is my 02 SS. the fender isnt a cutout, but rather they add a piece onto the rear fender. as for the extra hp.... is there is any extra power its negligible. i mean, this sounds like ricer talk...."i put a giant wing on my civic, i bet it'll woop your sentra"
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

as i was taking pic i noticed its sitting a little low, after checking it out i noticed my hooks for the pipes actually bent a little bit, i'll have to bend those back up to make it flush.

also, anybody have tips for stopping rust of plates? or do i just grab a new set of plates?

What you call a fender is actually your bumper. And what do you mean by rusty plates?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The SLP catback is where the added HP comes from with the stainless transverse muffler,,,,which came on the dual/dual cars and also the CME cars. Thats where the extra 10 HP claim comes from,,,,which is typical of any 3 inch catback system.

The CME was simply an extra cost option on top of the catback option,,,but did nothing for HP,,,it was appearance only.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    I'm in agreeance with the above; The CME adds no power, it was the SLP cat back that added this theoretical 10 HP.

And the 2-tipped exhaust was a factory SLP option, while the quad tip was never offerred through GM or SLP as a factory option, but instead as a aftermarket SLP exhaust. Last I checked they were still available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep thats true,,,,and the SLP cat back with transverse muffler works just as well as any other 3 inch cat back so SLP's 10 HP claim really isn't just a guess, it's pretty much on par with other cat backs.

So if it's already on the car you won't really see anything changing it to another catback, whether you have the dual/dual tips or the CME,,,it's still the same system from the I-pipe to the muffler.
    Thanks for explaining in detail guys

garnet red
    1969 camaro L-78 RS

How do you add an aftermarket muffler to the CME set-up? Im looking into getting a LM1 muffler but have no idea what this entails...

Is there a company that makes all the pipes (bends) needed?

Thanks

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by anchlo View Post
    How do you add an aftermarket muffler to the CME set-up? Im looking into getting a LM1 muffler but have no idea what this entails...

Is there a company that makes all the pipes (bends) needed?

Thanks
    A new catback will come with the tailpipes. If you have a CME, it will already have the bends. If your CME tips do not have them, you need a set of tight radius 90 degree bends that are expanded on both ends.

2001 Black SS #5228

der König des CyaLataBye the shag's Avatar

Onyx Black
    02 Camaro Z28

I have a question related to CME.

Would it be cheaper to buy tips, a muffler, LTs and an X-pipe and have the boys at the muffler shop fill the gaps in? Or should I simply buy a full kit?

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Goodluck finding the whole kit, unless you do those parts from SLP for their quad tip. I would say do headers, Y, Magnaflow or whoevers Muffler, Custom Pipe, Then CME Tip - In that order from front to back.

der König des CyaLataBye the shag's Avatar

Onyx Black
    02 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Goodluck finding the whole kit, unless you do those parts from SLP for their quad tip. I would say do headers, Y, Magnaflow or whoevers Muffler, Custom Pipe, Then CME Tip - In that order from front to back.
    I think i would stick a cut -out in there somewhere =DD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information