White
    98 Camaro Z-28

Angry Can't do a burnout!!!!!

I recently purchased a 98z28 A4 and had the tranny rebuilt & beefed up a little. When I first got the car I never attempted a burnout because I knew it would. So just the other day I attempted a burnout and it began to spin the tires then immediately nosedived. So I noticed when I installed my radio there was no ASR switch but just a plate there with a plug connected to it. Now I'm wondering could it be a tranny issue, or could the ASR be on all the time?????

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Need more specifics. A4 or M6? I'm guessing you've got an automatic from the way you've put things. And just a shot in the dark, but from the little bit of details, I'm guessing its an ASR system related issue. From what you've said, there's a plug there that appears like it should go to the ASR? When you did a burnout, did the "LOW TRAC" light come on, in your gauge cluster?

I've forgotten to turn my ASR off when doing a first gear roll-out WOT, and the "LOW TRAC" light will come on when there's wheel-spin and the system takes affect. Pay attention and gives us some more feedback. If you've tried powerbraking, the car will try to "stall-out" with the ASR system on.

I'm not sure if there is a fuse you can pull for the ASR (my car is with a friend, I can't look), but pull the cover by the driver's side door, on the side of the dash, and see what you can find. This would be an easy fix. What would really help us along with more details, would be a picture of your dash where your radio is, but it sounds like somebody just took the "switch-plate" off? (not sure if that's the correct terminology, but you get the point). Try to see what you can find in a junkyard or call the dealer for better information and leads.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am guessing that your car does not have traction control, but the wiring is there for it. It's easier to make one harness than several for all the different options. By way of example, my last truck did not have foglights, but all the wiring was there from the factory. That being said, it sure sounds like traction control took over. Interesting...

red
    99 camaro ss

trac control is always on unless you switch it off its a program

White
    1998 Trans Am

If the throttle cable, from the TB goes to a motor unit on the right fender well, unplug the wire harness from it.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by red99camaross View Post
    trac control is always on unless you switch it off its a program
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I've forgotten to turn my ASR off when doing a first gear roll-out WOT, and the "LOW TRAC" light will come on.
    There must be an echo somewhere

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Add more power

White
    98 Camaro Z-28

Ok today I did a couple of test. I checked for a harness running from the throttle body and there wasn't one, checked for and ASR fuse or relay and also nothing present. I went on to do a powerbrake test, I put it in low and it began to spin the tires then immediately bogged down but no low trac light or asr light showed on the cluster. So I tried to powerbrake the car in overdrive and would spin em. So now I'm completely confused???

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Maro_Man View Post
    Ok today I did a couple of test. I checked for a harness running from the throttle body and there wasn't one, checked for and ASR fuse or relay and also nothing present. I went on to do a powerbrake test, I put it in low and it began to spin the tires then immediately bogged down but no low trac light or asr light showed on the cluster. So I tried to powerbrake the car in overdrive and would spin em. So now I'm completely confused???
    So am I

Thread Information