Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Can't break tires loose

This is a discussion on Can't break tires loose within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; See the thing that sucks is that I have no idea whats been done to the car besides what I ...

White
    2000 camaro

See the thing that sucks is that I have no idea whats been done to the car besides what I can see basically. They took really good care of it, and it has 78,000 miles on it. But obviously somethings not adding up. Like I said it does move but even without a tune with those mods it should be breaking them loose no matter what imo.

Red
    00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by alucarusz28 View Post
    Haha. No the trac control isn't on because I turn it off every time I start it up. My guess is it has to be the tune. The tires are 8.5's in the back so they should be breaking loose like nothing. Oh and ya I'm and A4. MNZ28 is my bro. No its not the torque management either. I just don't get why even with those mods it should be breaking them loose. It's really fast and it definitely books, but somethings not right and i don't think its something simple. My only guess is something in the tune unless someone can think of anything that is on the ls1's that are pre-2001 maybe?

Mine is a 00 with no tune so all the TM is still in and as stated I can spin pretty easy. Are your tires soft if so they might grab the road better than mine.

White
    2000 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Glue Maker View Post
    Mine is a 00 with no tune so all the TM is still in and as stated I can spin pretty easy. Are your tires soft if so they might grab the road better than mine.
    Ya I understand that, but mine has quite a few bolt on's and if they tried a hand held tune and started messing with air fuel mixtures or anything like that mine could be really messed up. It runs great especially after the tune up but i thought someone on here might no something I don't. I guess the only way I'll really find out is if I get a good tune and hope for the best.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I wouldn't have purchased my Z28 if it wouldn't have drifted me through a turn during the test drive.

Mine will spin, smoke and drift easily, whenever, wherever I want it to.

FUN TIMES

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

A dyno or an ET/MPH should be able to tell you more.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ya I understand that, but mine has quite a few bolt on's and if they tried a hand held tune and started messing with air fuel mixtures or anything like that mine could be really messed up. It runs great especially after the tune up but i thought someone on here might no something I don't. I guess the only way I'll really find out is if I get a good tune and hope for the best.
    If your A/F ratio is off, you will most likely trigger a check engine light. If your car was running rich, you'd smell it and see a lot of black shit in your tailpipes. If it is way lean...you shouldn't be driving it until you get it fixed unless you like detonation and possibly looking into purchasing a new engine.

My car used to SMOKE the tires out of the gate, into 2nd, and into 3rd...then I got suspension mods and some DRs. I get a little chirp now in 2nd and 3rd.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

If someone messed with the transmission settings with that tuner (if even possible), I wonder if that could be affecting performance. I'm not real familiar with how much you can adjust, but it seems as though shift setpoints, pressures, convertor lockup, and other settings can be altered - I could be wrong though. Just a thought - if anyone else has experience with this maybe they could provide insight as to whether this might be an area to check as well.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

It will affect performance, not sure how it does off the line from a dig though.

I know mine was messed with being Frost found that and he saw where the settings were(they were set to shift softer than what GM programmed them to). He made a few changes and he and I went out on the road and it was a whole new car in how it drove and shifted.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

One thing to consider is that if you do remove the Torque Management, this puts more stress on your transmission.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    WHOA. Beat me what the fuck is goin on here. You jumped fucker. From a dig I will own you. anyways the asr is off and the car has a full tune up, so with those mods it should be able to easily break stock size tires loose. But basically he cant even chirp em. It still does seem slightly under powered to my 01, I just cant pin point it. The car has not been dynoed or mail order tuned, yet I suspect it has had a handheld messed with it because I cannot see any other reason for this problem. The car runs good now, but mine has wider tires and basically the same mods and I can still spin the fuckers loose no problem.
    sorry to junk up your thread but how do you plan on smoking him from a dig when all you can do is spin?

spinnin aint winnin

what is the temp out side when trying to spin the tires

on hot days mine will hook

Pewter
    99 z28

I have ASR on my Z28... its all the same thing though right?? I can just turn my on/off whenever.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    I have ASR on my Z28... its all the same thing though right?? I can just turn my on/off whenever.
    Same thing? As in traction control?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I believe the ls1 torque management system and the ASR are 2 different things.. The ASR is for wheel spin reduction.. It's what causes the "low traction" light when you break traction.. My 3800 has ASR and can be turned off.. Torque management is to help prolong the life of a relatively weak stock drive line if you ask me.. I think torque managment can only be delt with by a tune/tuner... But I could be wrong..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-06-2010 at 03:10 AM.

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

No it doesn't bog. When I hit it, it definitely goes. It just basically hooks up and goes. The tires on the back are Dayton ZR P245/50ZR16 exactly. The tires aren't new, but they have a lot of tread left.
    I just bought a 01 SS w/ 40k miles and its completely stock except for tires/rims. This is a fully loaded SS (power everything, leather seats, monsoon sound, etc etc) so its a heavier car. I also have Sumotomo 315/40/R17 tires .. I've never tried to break 'em loose with my ASR on but when it is off, I can drift through a corner pretty easy. I get pretty good hook up on straight line take offs so I dont get too much spin there. I would imagine since you're running a smaller tire, you should be able to break 'em loose on a turn, you should even break 'em loose on a straight line take off ... but you dont want that when you're racing - you want hook up. If I were you, I'd get a tune for your PCM ... factory settings are very conservative and hand helds don't work too good. My winter mods for my car is to get a tune, long tubes, ORY, SFC, and drop it an inch. These mods should give my car a better response - especially with a tune.

Pewter
    Camaro 2000 SS M6

I've got an m6 SS with 4.10 ... can't lunch without hearing my tires screaming !

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sayed_000 View Post
    I've got an m6 SS with 4.10 ... can't lunch without hearing my tires screaming !
    thats a nice story but has nothing to do with a a4 with 2.72 gears and not spinning

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I believe the ls1 torque management system and the ASR are 2 different things.. The ASR is for wheel spin reduction.. It's what causes the "low traction" light when you break traction.. My 3800 has ASR and can be turned off.. Torque management is to help prolong the life of a relatively weak stock drive line if you ask me.. I think torque managment can only be delt with by a tune/tuner... But I could be wrong..
    yes you are correct

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

ASR stands for something slip regulation. Maybe Assisted Slip Regulation? Not sure but it's the same for the Firebird/Formy/TA's TCS (Traction Control System). Torque Management is different...

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Anti-slip regulation

navy blue
    1998 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen View Post
    I just bought a 01 SS w/ 40k miles and its completely stock except for tires/rims. This is a fully loaded SS (power everything, leather seats, monsoon sound, etc etc) so its a heavier car. I also have Sumotomo 315/40/R17 tires .. I've never tried to break 'em loose with my ASR on but when it is off, I can drift through a corner pretty easy. I get pretty good hook up on straight line take offs so I dont get too much spin there. I would imagine since you're running a smaller tire, you should be able to break 'em loose on a turn, you should even break 'em loose on a straight line take off ... but you dont want that when you're racing - you want hook up. If I were you, I'd get a tune for your PCM ... factory settings are very conservative and hand helds don't work too good. My winter mods for my car is to get a tune, long tubes, ORY, SFC, and drop it an inch. These mods should give my car a better response - especially with a tune.
    315's....wow, thats got to be a bad-ass sight to see from the back of the car!! What type of rims are you runnin, ZR1's ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information