2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Can i make them pay?

Ok so about 2 months ago i get a check engine light for "insufficient coolant temp for closed loop fuel control." Which means i have a stuck thermostat.

Well the whole time i've owned my car its run about 175-180 degrees, so i assumed it had a 180 thermo in it. seeing as how the previous owner was dead, I couldnt really ask him what had or hadnt been done to the car.

So I go to ABC auto and pick up a 180 thermo. he said its the right part, but since its a 180, not 195, its not OEM. it was a Parts Master part.

I get home, do the install, and the new one is offset, the thermo isnt exactly in the middle of the housing. the old ones in the center, but the new ones not. btw, it turns out my old one was a factory 195, it just ran cold for some reason. but the new one fits just right, and everything about it looks exactly the same, its just off center, but like i said, aftermarket part. not just real concerned that it looks different.

A week later i start leaking coolant, cant figure out where or why. And after a month of going to shop, and flushing and refilling my system, turns out my intake gaskets busted, right where the thermostat is....cost me $550 to repair.

I went back and got another thermo, this time a factory one....the guy at the desk admitted the other might be the wrong part.

So if their wrong part cost me over $600 in damage, could they be liable?

heres some pics. left is my old one, right is the new one...second pic is the boxes with part numbers.

Last edited by Spikito; 04-14-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Definitely yes....If they ordered the wrong part for you that is their mistake, and you should go talk to them about this ordeal. They need to cough up some money to pay towards your car.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I would'nt hold my breath on it. If it did'nt look right you should'nt have installed it. Sorry but I think you're S>O>L. Always check the part at the counter.....
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I would'nt hold my breath on it. If it did'nt look right you should'nt have installed it. Sorry but I think you're S>O>L. Always check the part at the counter.....
    well i hadn't removed my old one yet, i didnt know it was different tell i pulled out the old one...its my DD

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Regardless you are SOL.... and by no means am I taking their side, but just telling you what they will say. YOU chose to put an aftermarket part on that wasn't close to being OEM. And also, the intake is leaking, not the thermostat...ie not their problem. And doesn't that thermo plug into the water pump? Either way, I doubt they will take any responsibility for that problem. Best of luck though! It may be worth talking to them.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I think it depends how good you are at negotiating.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Regardless you are SOL.... and by no means am I taking their side, but just telling you what they will say. YOU chose to put an aftermarket part on that wasn't close to being OEM. And also, the intake is leaking, not the thermostat...ie not their problem. And doesn't that thermo plug into the water pump? Either way, I doubt they will take any responsibility for that problem. Best of luck though! It may be worth talking to them.
    no it plugs into the side of my intake, right beside the TB and above the EGR. It just seems coincidental that i bust a gasket right before this thermostat.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Sorry, but that thermostat isn't what caused your intake to start leaking. When you replaced the thermostat, your engine coolant temp. went up higher than it did before and blew out your gasket. 3.8Ls are known for leaking intake gaskets.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Sorry, but that thermostat isn't what caused your intake to start leaking. When you replaced the thermostat, your engine coolant temp. went up higher than it did before and blew out your gasket. 3.8Ls are known for leaking intake gaskets.
    you just said right there that putting in that thermostat is what caused the gasket to blow

Black
    02 Z28 M6

In that case you should have drained some of the coolant and it wouldn't be their fault. This is good though. Keep arguing. If you can beat down the LS1 forums you're equipped to go in there and debate this.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Well the whole time i've owned my car its run about 175-180 degrees, so i assumed it had a 180 thermo in it. seeing as how the previous owner was dead, I couldnt really ask him what had or hadnt been done to the car.
    http://paranormal.about.com/cs/ancie.../ht/seance.htm

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

you just said right there that putting in that thermostat is what caused the gasket to blow
    Putting in any thermostat, not "that thermostat", may have been the cause. Maybe you shouldn't have replaced the thermostat. Then again, it may have been coincidental. But don't listen to me, I've only been working on cars for 20+ years. My GM, and ASE certifications are just pieces of paper.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I was reading on advance auto's website and if their warrantied parts causes a problem they will pay the fees to fix it if you have the receipt....probably have to go through a lot of bs to get money from them i bet.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Putting in any thermostat, not "that thermostat", may have been the cause. Maybe you shouldn't have replaced the thermostat. Then again, it may have been coincidental. But don't listen to me, I've only been working on cars for 20+ years. My GM, and ASE certifications are just pieces of paper.
    I didnt mean it like that, you def sound like yo know what youre talking about, the statement was just a little contradictory. I had to replace it though, it was stuck closed, I thought i had a 180, so i bought another 180

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

sorry to say it bud, but wrong part or not you installed it not the parts store. Also like jigger said it could also be completely coincidental. The GM 6 cylinders love to eat intake gaskets. The one on my Blazer is leaking as we speak (...well type). GL man.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

make em pay!!! they are liable!!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    sorry to say it bud, but wrong part or not you installed it not the parts store. Also like jigger said it could also be completely coincidental. The GM 6 cylinders love to eat intake gaskets. The one on my Blazer is leaking as we speak (...well type). GL man.
    well i know that, but its just weird that everything on my intake went at the same time, both gaskets, some nipple thing, and some fittings.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

well i know that, but its just weird that everything on my intake went at the same time, both gaskets, some nipple thing, and some fittings.
    Well that is what 3800's are notorious for....

Thread Information