Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Camaro Z28 550+hp edition coming out!

This is a discussion on Camaro Z28 550+hp edition coming out! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; 602 Z28's for 67. Only year not made was 76....

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

602 Z28's for 67. Only year not made was 76.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    602 Z28's for 67. Only year not made was 76.
    I figured Jim would get this one

red
    00 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    its coola nd all,but i think its stupid that the z28 is faster than the SS.since the SS name is known for upgrade.i also think its stupid that the new z28 has a SS hood.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ya View Post
    Sorry bro but uh, aside from the L78 396 ss rated at 425 and 427ss, z28 was top dog when the z package was first released most had no idea what they were getting. the little high revving 302 was underrated at 290 horse but was more like 360 with single four bbl or 400 with double four bbl. You got disc brakes, stripes, and more appearance options than the ss/rs package and some other shit I don't remember but hell with the difference in weight I'm sure 396 vs. 302 became a drivers race. Not to mention a numbers matching z28 from the 60s will fetch way more at auction since way rarer. They only made like 600 in 67, 7000 or so in 68, and I forget for 69. But next time you rag on some shit be right. I drive a z28 and personally I love the ss tail and hood and always thought they looked good but I wanted rs tail/ ss hood, just so it would be different. But now I gotta go no ss parts cuz you think its stupid on a z28. Hahahaha. naw just giving you a hard time no hard feelings just thought you should know

red
    00 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    67 z28 are very very rare, in the 600s i think
    the first year was 69

red / black stripes
    98 camaro

need info

my 1998 ss battery went dead. I installed a new battery. when starting up the engine wanted to over rev. like 3500 rpm then idled out shortly after. anyone had this experience or no why it would do this? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2000redcamaro View Post
    the first year was 69
    Nope,,,,Z28's came out in 67 and 68 as well. They made 602 the first year to homologate the car for Trans Am racing,,,which required 500 or more to be available to the public.

HottubChampion

Peuter
    2000 Z28

Im all for the Z28. Anybody can bargain shop, but when you roll up in the 5th gen z, people will walk right past a vette or comparable car to get a glimpse at your car. I have been down the bargain road many times with gently used C6 Z06's and clearanced priced LS3 vettes but nothing compares to the car that has a engine that normally doesn't belong in it. Where the LS9 gave the corvette the highest hp production engine ever produced by GM, they will make history again buy creating the highest horsepower production camaro ever built. Going fast is cool, but when you get eyes going slow, that counts to.

Quote Originally Posted by HottubChampion00 View Post
    Im all for the Z28. Anybody can bargain shop, but when you roll up in the 5th gen z, people will walk right past a vette or comparable car to get a glimpse at your car. I have been down the bargain road many times with gently used C6 Z06's and clearanced priced LS3 vettes but nothing compares to the car that has a engine that normally doesn't belong in it. Where the LS9 gave the corvette the highest hp production engine ever produced by GM, they will make history again buy creating the highest horsepower production camaro ever built. Going fast is cool, but when you get eyes going slow, that counts to.
    That's about how it goes with anything that's new to the public, once the newness wears off it's just another camaro, vette (or what have you) at the local cruise.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Its not about the looks for me and I don't do car shows. It all about the sound of the exhaust, the engine straining at the mounts, and smell of burnt rubber!

White
    2000 Z/28

The Z/28 was not offered in 1975 or 1976. I thought that was correct so I double checked. www.camaro-registry.com/production.htm

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by moose67 View Post
    The Z/28 was not produced in 1975 or 1976.
    Good catch. I'd forgotten they stopped making Z28's just as the catalytic converter came on line.

And technically the 88, 89 and 90 IROC-Z isn't strictly a Z28. I guess it all depends on your take on it.

Production totals FYI: http://www.camaro-registry.com/production.htm

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I'll save tons of money by keeping my car, stay naturally aspirated, drop in a texas-speed 427 ls3 or lsx long block, have the tranny built, new clutch to hold the power, suspension mods, new rear....after all that I could pay off my house and still be $10-15k ahead of the rich bastard and the up-to-his-ears-in-auto-loan-debt guy, and be comparable in horsepower, and still be hundreds of pounds lighter

THEN, I'll wait a few years and buy one when they've gone down considerably in price, just like I did with the SS I currently own.
    Lots of options out there,and if someone owns a high mileage or buys one,your still way under the price of a new car without all the tax and everything else.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by langss View Post
    Lots of options out there,and if someone owns a high mileage or buys one,your still way under the price of a new car without all the tax and everything else.

The only downfall is you also get all the abuse that comes with a used one.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well think of it this way.If you pick up a car for lets say the 8-10 range in really decent condition,and drive it while you collect the parts for a serious upgrade in the way of something out of a crashed Corvette or an Esclade(sp),how much will you have in the car without the higher Registration, Sales Tax, Depreciation, Insurance.If you even have 20 in the car when your done, thats still a long way from the cost of buying a new one, and if the Camaro is not your "Cup of Tea" there are probably just as many Trans Ams out there to be had. Super Chevy has an article on just what fits what from the guys that designed them in the copy I just got in the mail.Just my .02.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Well think of it this way.If you pick up a car for lets say the 8-10 range in really decent condition,and drive it while you collect the parts for a serious upgrade in the way of something out of a crashed Corvette or an Esclade(sp),how much will you have in the car without the higher Registration, Sales Tax, Depreciation, Insurance.If you even have 20 in the car when your done, thats still a long way from the cost of buying a new one, and if the Camaro is not your "Cup of Tea" there are probably just as many Trans Ams out there to be had. Super Chevy has an article on just what fits what from the guys that designed them in the copy I just got in the mail.Just my .02.
    x2. I'm either going to rebuild the engine at 200k or maybe drop in something a little newer...

stroker ls3 t/a anyone?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Even after replacing, fixing, and upgrading everything you can still have an extremely nice 4th gen for cheaper than a new 5th gen.
    And it'll be faster.

Whether you'd like it better than a new car is up to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information