Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Camaro Z28 = Cheap, Fast First Car?

This is a discussion on Camaro Z28 = Cheap, Fast First Car? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Vette4LIFE I am leaning to the fox body, for inexpensiveness and its like a brown paper wrapper, ...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Vette4LIFE
    I am leaning to the fox body, for inexpensiveness and its like a brown paper wrapper, you just never know what's in the damn thing, and you will get respect in it.
    That's two for the the Fox body!

Brouhaha
    The 98-02 Z28s are cheap, relatively speaking, and one of the better bangs for the buck available IMHO. A 1994-96 Impala SS is a lot slower and probably just as expensive in comparable condition. Plus there's no manual trans available. This is a serious performance car so I'd be careful if it's your first fast car.

I don't agree that the VW GTI wouldn't be a fun car. "Fun to drive" does not always equal 12.5 second quarter miles.

black
    2002 corvette coupe

Hey I have a 2002 Honda Accord EX V-Tec 150hp 4dr drk green with all the options for 14,500, nada is 16,600 average retail. 52k miles

It's very nice and dependable and comfortable, and not even slow.

Ok that's what I thought. Car is for sale tho, in perfect condition. If you change your mind......

Black
    97 Formula

Also, have you ever thought of an older 1983-1987 G-Body Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Regal/Grand Prix? They are cheap, cheap to insure, V6 or V8, RWD, parts are plentiful in junkyards, and the aftermarket is huge if you want to dump money in to one. You could find a nice condition Monte Carlo for under $5k with a 350 swap.

Get what you want, fuck the nay sayers. I had a freind who was in HS, and im from a rich town somewhat, btu this kid was loaded, who bought a 2002 camaro SS. Then he put 650rwhp to the ground one day and had the dyno sheets to prove it, but never showed us what was under his hood. He had the car for for a few years in HS and never crashed it or even scratched it, and it was 100% his. As someone who personally comes from a famiyl like yours that has had nice cars (muscle cars)as there first, theres a good chance your father instilled the same fear into you that mine instilled into me the first time i got into my 88 monte carlo SS. "You knwo how to treat this car, dont be fucking stupid" and i never scratched that thing once. IMO if you think you can handle it, go for it, and unless you do crash your car after you get it, your totally going to enjoy it.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

I got the same story from my father when i bought my '02 Z-28 M6. "I had four of these and man were they makin some power...with power comes responsibility, if you drive this car pissed, its gonna turn around and bite you in the ass, and by this i mean your going to put it into a tree" Ive had my baby for about 2-3 months now, and ive had some experience driving... i went from a 3.2L V6 automatic, to a 3.0L V6 M6, and now ive got the 5.7L V8. But what everyone says is right, these cars have BALLS. I cant even count how many times I've gotten sideways, but luckily i somewhat know what im doing, ive got some drifting experience under my belt from a friend who owns a 240sx

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

I used to have an Accord, then I got my Z. I know it's not as fast as the last three cars you mentioned, but it is front wheel drive, just like the Protege, VW, and Scion. Now that I've driven a RWD car, I really don't like the way almost every front wheel drive car handles.

If I did have to get a front wheel drive car though, I think you'd be on the right track with the VW.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    SLP Lid, Flowmaster, Cutout, Spec Stage 3, Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's short stick, Pacesetter Race LT's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Nitto NT555R DR's, Moser 12-bolt with TrueTrac and 3.90s, RPM Speed LCA's and Panhard Bar

sebring silver
    2000 z28

if you want a car with balls get the z28, mine cost 9 K used, still runs great, and smokes 20 K dollar neon and any stock mustang gt or cobra. just be reponsible and treat the car with repect and you'll be fine, know your limitations

black
    98 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    Agreed! WAY to much power for a kid's first car. You're probably very responsible but once all the buddies climb in that's normally when all hell breaks loose and someone gets hurt or killed.....Man I'm starting to sound like my dad already!
    I disagree, my z28 is my first car...When friends get in my car and tell me give er some go and i do...Thats the last they ever ask me.

Ive been racing, riding and driving things since before i left the woom. I know my limitations fairly well and how to handle my car.

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

ok, so I've owned 5 vechiles so far from the age of 16 t0 now 21. My first car was a 1986 camaro 6cyl, 5-speed. Love the car infact I still have it, even though some lady ran a red light and smashed it. Anyways, When I was looking for my first car my dad wouldn't let me get a V8 camaro. At that time I couldn't understand why. Well now I do. I never wrecked the V6, but I sue came close many times. I now have a 1998 Charged,Camaro SS Vert,and I"m glad I didn't have anything as fast as my SS for my first car, I'd be dead probably. I did get into VW's some I had a 1993 corrado SLC and a diesel rabbit. I also had a 1980 camaro with a 350 but it was a dog nothing special. and I've had an 89 ranger, and now currently have a 98 silverado along with my SS. So what I'm saying is you gotta start somewhere and be smart about it. I love F-bods and horsepower, but if I wrapped mine around a tree I'd never get over it. I've learned now that my dad knew what he was talking about when he wouldn't let me get a fast car for my first one. Plus insurance will treat you better, but ultimately get what you want.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I snuck a eclipse turbo by my dad when I was 17. Didnt want me to get the mustang I was looking at. He thought a lil 4 banger couldnt be that bad. It is a 96 and it was a quick high 14 sec car. to bad i went for the FWD. It has been a mess reliability wise and is HARD to launch. Best I could do with a good bit of upgrades was a 14.1 @105's. I could pull on my friends high 12 mustang on the highway though. just no chance from a stop. DSM's are very finicky but fun. Just get something u will like and have fun with. doesnt have to be fast now just with potential. Theres nothing like the turbo kick though.
    Last edited by ErikElvis; 04-28-2006 at 12:45 AM.
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

When i was 19 I had a 1997 Z28 A4 and was on my parents policy. I paid $210 a month

I now have a 2000 Z28, the policy is in both my dads and mine name and it only $78 a month now full coverage

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

When i was 19 I had a 1997 Z28 A4 and was on my parents policy. I paid $210 a month

I now have a 2000 Z28, the policy is in both my dads and my name and it only $78 a month now full coverage
    MTI Clear Lid (Free Ram Air Mod Raised Air box) Larger MAF Ends,K&N Filter, SS Exhasut with cut out, rear Lower control arms,smooth bellows,12.894@107.10MPH Dynoed 316 HP (Before RLCA and smooth bellows) 8.3.12 @86.86 1/8th mile 121,000 miles

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

I'm sorry, dude. I think LS1 on any car is too fast for your own good <PERIOD> Start something slow and honed your driving skills and work your way up. I've seen one too many high school kids with fast cars, wreck their ride and not to see the next day. If your dad can't be the grown up hell somebody has to.
    Last edited by bene; 05-22-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Cops love Z28's and Trans Ams. I swear i've been pulled over more times in the WS6 then I ever was in the Lancer Evolution. Your insurance agency will love it too.

Personally I think you should get something that has better control, like a Subaru WRX, but then I had a heavy foot when I was younger.

black
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I didn't get my license til I was 19 and my first car was a 83 Z28 and it was too much for me, I ended up banging into someone else with it. I drove it for a year and then bumped up to the 2000 Z28 that I have now, there is no way I could have controlled the Z as a first car.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ
    Keep in mind that having the cool car in high school only means a few things: 1) Everyone wants a ride, and they'll all scratch or stain the car, inside and out. 2) Everyone wants to see you be stupid in it. and 3) When the 16 year old girl whos daddy just bought her a new Benz throws her door into your hard earned car, everyone will hate you for being so mean and making her insurance cover it. Just my .02
    I wish I continued to drive my mom's Astro van to school than to bring my Camaro to that hell hole. Within the first week that people knew I just bought my car, it was egged. Three days later I go to my car in the school lot to find pennies scrambled all over my car and the ground near it as if someone threw a shitload of pennies in the air over my car. Next week, I come to see one of my tires have been completely emptied. Then the lovely mysterious hit and run on my quarter panel, and on the other side it looks like someone took something very sharp and scratched the shit out of that panel. Aaaaaand to top it off, some jackass would sit on my trunk the period before I'd get out of school (constantly seeing assprints on the wing and shoeprints on the bumper. Another kid that I used to hang around with would consistantly tell me I drive like a pussy, although I've done burn-outs, drifts, 180's, 95 in a 25, 145 in a 50, and he wouldn't stfu cuz all they do is pressure you to do more, because after all it isn't their car. Then I look back and realize 1 out of every 3 kids got into an accident their senior year, and nearly every one of those people who did I recall them saying that they think they're car is fast. I know it'll suck and you're going to be really anxious for that 1st car, but it may be good advice to just wait until after high school is over and people won't treat your property like its garbage, because all you will do is make people jealous.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    I disagree, my z28 is my first car...When friends get in my car and tell me give er some go and i do...Thats the last they ever ask me.

Ive been racing, riding and driving things since before i left the woom. I know my limitations fairly well and how to handle my car.
    Posting that his car is totalled in.. 3......2........1......

People that will feel sorry for you on the board...... 0

Realizing your a dumbass... Priceless

black
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I actually thought about this quite a bit today, and it kind of makes me sick to my stomach thinking about someone so young driving around. My brother is 15 and he doesn't even like girls yet, and it is disturbing that someone as young as him could be out there driving. In the right car like a honda with 50 hp it wouldn't be as dangerous but still... think about it the LS1 went into the CORVETTE!

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

well my first car is my car right now...i got it when i was 17 because i tried to get it when i was 16, didnt have enough money, so worked a dead year for it! because of this i think i had more respect for my car, though i did learn a few lessons. the first time i tried to pull off a drift i did a 360 AFTER a 90 degree left hand turn, on a major road. you live and you learn, at least i had the sensibility to know how dangerous these cars can be. another reason why is that my brother got a Firebird his senior year, and the day before his graduation he lost control at 50 MPH, did a 180, and hit a tree. shit happens like that.

if your lucky like me and ttocs to have our first car as a Z28 at 17, be careful and there wont be a problem (hopefully).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information