Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Camaro Z28 = Cheap, Fast First Car?

This is a discussion on Camaro Z28 = Cheap, Fast First Car? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i drove a v6 camaro before i bought my 3rd gen, cause i wanted a 4th gen no matter what ...

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

i drove a v6 camaro before i bought my 3rd gen, cause i wanted a 4th gen no matter what but that thing was such a dog

Tinton
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1kid16
    im turning 17 in may and i drove a 1998 v6 mustang 5 speed before i got my
    z28 about 2 and a half weeks ago.......my advice is definetely get a camaro v6 5 speed.....i can honestly say that i thought my v6 mustang was the shit....i promise you if you get one of the 200 hp v6 5 speed camaros you will think it is fast....because honestly they are....the only thing is i drove my mustang and managed to wreck the front end....i had the 16 yr old i think i can drive my car badass pre ricer syndrome....glad i came out of it....

another thing is if you buy the v6 you will beat alot of cars however when you buy the z28 and you stomp it down you will say holy freaking shit!....thats the z effect but if you jump into the z right away you WILL wreck it...plus you will never be able to upgrade the same way i would get a v6 and wait....

andy
    Hah, that's right. I used to think my Dad's Saturn was quick. Then I got into my '88 Fiero GT with the V6, that thing was pretty quick, still is until you hit like 70 mph, then it feels slow because you're cruising at 3500 rpm with a V6 with all torque and no HP. Then I got my Z28...I drove a '99 Corvette (test-drive, lol) before I test-drove my Camaro. The Z28 is as fast as the Vette. I got a real nice smile today going to school (Z is my DD), I floored it on this on-ramp (maybe 1/4 mile long or a little less), by about 2/3 the way down I was at 90 mph and still climbing very fast, I stopped at 110 mph . Its fun because that ramp gets on and it becomes a lane, you don't have to merge. So I was surprising people flying by them at 110 mph off the onramp. The full power of this V8 still surprises me...and I've been driving it for 2 years just about every day. But its really the torque I like the most, cruising at 80 mph at only 2000 rpms, if I go 55 mph (I never do, lol, unless its on backroads) its basically idling. And if I want to increase speed I barely need any throttle at all it has so much torque.

Shift, I posted stats above, avoid the S10 Xtreme like the plague. You'd be just as good off getting a Geo Metro, it'll be about as fast, about as nice-looking, and you'll get 2x the gas mileage. I would go for a new GTI....if anything but just for the commercials . They have like 3 where they're pwning some ricers, I'll find the link to them if I can. And they have the 3-4 for the "fast", they give the little fast things away with the cars I think, and they sell on ebay for tons of cash. Its 200 hp, so its not that bad, and its probably faster than a V6 F-body if its lighter weight.

The V6 F-bodies are usually like low-mid 7's 0-60 and 15's in the 1/4. I've never driven one, but those are about the same stats as my Fiero GT, and I'll tell you right now, its not "fast", its "quick", if you know the difference. You won't be beating anyone in any races but you'll be satisfied with the performance.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I'd say get a gti or something for you first car. Relatively quick, FWD will help you learn everything a lot better just for starting.

I had a 200sx as my first car and it was a good car, I thought it was fast shit. Then I moved on to a turbo rx-7 with like 300 hp and thought I was king of the road. After that bought a 2001 mustang and fell in love with torque , after a while modded up to 500 hp and really started to learn to drive. Now with my SS I can't wait to slap a blower on it and have some real fun

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

I've had my z for about a year now and i can honestly say i've had no finder binders, wrecks, or anything and im still 17. get the z if your dad lets you with the insurance.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

if you are going to get a 4cyl or 6cyl turbo car get a foreign, they are built much stronger, DSM sucks because they always blow main bearings and crank walk,

i jumped right into V8 world and i'm doing fine, almost got into 2 accidents but neither of them was my fault, i avoided them perfectly with cat like reflexes,

now since i dont know you at all i must say this based on myself, if you are a conservative person that will not light up the tires every time your friends tell you to, you are basically good to go. If you think you would always be burning out and horsing around you will get fucked (accident) because what everyone said is right, these cars are one of the*fastest ever made for around 30 grand$

once you drive it a bit you'd know its limits and what it can do

shit, after this rant i just remembered that your father said no to a camaro,..... shit
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Hugger Orange
    1969 Camaro SS

TC's are slow.. even the TRD supercharged ones have under 190hp to the wheels.
    GTI's are nice but expensive to mod
    Protege's I don't have much experience with but hear the motors don't take much abuse

I personally have a Cobalt SS S/C and have owned have had my last car was a turbocharged cavalier Z24. I also have a 1969 Camaro SS 396 and the two types of cars are completely different. If you want a really fast straight line car the Camaro is probably what you want but if you want a quick fun car that can handle you may want to look into the Cobalt, if you don't have that much $ to spend you could look into a Cavalier with an ecotec engine and throw a Hahn turbo kit on it. Not as nice of a car but much quicker than a lot of imports around... The eco is also a very strong engine.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by tsmock
    TC's are slow.. even the TRD supercharged ones have under 190hp to the wheels.
    GTI's are nice but expensive to mod
    Protege's I don't have much experience with but hear the motors don't take much abuse

I personally have a Cobalt SS S/C and have owned have had my last car was a turbocharged cavalier Z24. I also have a 1969 Camaro SS 396 and the two types of cars are completely different. If you want a really fast straight line car the Camaro is probably what you want but if you want a quick fun car that can handle you may want to look into the Cobalt, if you don't have that much $ to spend you could look into a Cavalier with an ecotec engine and throw a Hahn turbo kit on it. Not as nice of a car but much quicker than a lot of imports around... The eco is also a very strong engine.

The celica i was talking about is the older one thats turbo and awd. I have a turbocharged cavalier but the older v6. I agree the newer cavalier's with the eco and basic bolt ons can be a low 15 sec car, eco has been shown to take 15pis on the stock bottom end

Hugger Orange
    1969 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28
    The celica i was talking about is the older one thats turbo and awd. I have a turbocharged cavalier but the older v6. I agree the newer cavalier's with the eco and basic bolt ons can be a low 15 sec car, eco has been shown to take 15pis on the stock bottom end
    The eco has run a 12.8 with stock motor, Hahn turbo, and drag radials. Not bad for a 4 banger.

ShapeGSX
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmock
    The eco has run a 12.8 with stock motor, Hahn turbo, and drag radials. Not bad for a 4 banger.
    I consider that pretty bad for a 4 banger. That's a lot of money for a 12.8. Better to start with a factory turbocharged car.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

yeah build your own kit instead of buying stupid kits and save a ton. and a 12.8 isn't gaurenteed with saying me buing the kit, i've seen a n/a neon with a aftermarket turbo kit run 15's cause the kid couldn't drive and because their lack of knowledge

Black
    97 Formula

I would probably suggest getting a RWD import for a first car. A used 240SX is a good choice. That way you can learn how to handle a RWD car [especially in the rain] before stepping up to a high horsepower Z28. For one, the insurance on the 240SX will be a lot less, and the aftermarket is pretty good for the 240.

Or you can get a V6 F-body like previously stated. You'll still have decent horsepower [140 with the 3.4, 200 with 3.8] and still have decent gas mileage. You need to learn how to control a RWD vehicle before stepping up to 300+ hp. I learned how to drive RWD on my dads 96 Crown Vic. I drove it daily for a year, sun, rain, and snow.
    Last edited by Warbird; 03-04-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Hugger Orange
    1969 Camaro SS

If you know that you will be getting something rwd in the future I would also suggest the V6 F-body

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

before i got my trans am, i drove my bros 1999 v6 mustang with a 5spd manual for one year
    im not gonna lie but i had a lot of fun with that car.
    i developed very good driving skills in many different ways
    i kinda let all that rage of being a teen driver out on that car
    if i had my trans am at that time....shit....
    so with all that said, with a v6 for a first car, u will grow more mature and the mistakes u make will not be tragic
    i know i am only 17 now (18 in may), but the experience is somewhat there.
    having friends in the car does not affect me in any way, in fact, i am always joked on at school because i drive it tooo slow (they dont understand)
    my dad payed for the car and pays the insurance but if i fuck up in any way, i will be responsible for the insurance and i dont want any part in that

black
    2002 corvette coupe

Dude, I am 29 and let me tell you, these guys are telling the truth. It's dangerous to have a 300hp rwd car so young. First off, how much dough can you spend? Second, these guys aren't mentioning, the slower v-8 mustangs (older ones fox-bodies, have 225 hp stock, 96,97,98 are slower with like 215 or so, and 99-04 have 265 stock, my wife has a 02 gt with flows and k&n, gears next). Mustangs are not the beasts from the factory the ls1/lt1 is (except for the 05 or newer, finally ford made a fast car). I know I know, but mustangs are good cars too. (flame suit on)lol.

I have owned 2 foxbodies an 89 gt and 93 lx, both of them 5.0s'and verts, and two older maro's an 86 and 87 (both the irocs , loved those cars, with the t-tops out ), an 84 t-bird 5.0, a 84 lincoln mk VII 5.0, a turbo-volvo 940, a 92 3000gt vr4 w/ 400hp and now, the king of my collection an 02 black vette.

My point is that you can still get a rwd v-8, I would look at either v-6 f-body like everyone says, or your best choice is a foxbody mustang, still dangerous, still fast, but not quite so much and also CHEAPLY bought, and cheaply modded into the beast you so desire, as your pocket and experience warrant it. That being said this is a ls1 forum and I now drive a vette so get a v-6 trans am, they look the best to me(mean styling and hard to tell the differencrence between v6 and v8.

Most of all dont speed over hills, around curves or when its wet, and never in town or neighborhoods, and you should be ok.
    Last edited by Vette4LIFE; 03-22-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Green
    1998 Z28 - A4

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with the previous member... of course when you get your first car you want the biggest baddest car that there is.. but get something rear wheel drive just handleable, the Extreme sounds like a good first vehicle, being able to handle rear wheel drive is something that takes a little practice. but thats just my $.02, Great to have ya here and good luck!

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I wouldn't give my kid my car for a first vehicle, no way in hell. The thing will break 295/35/18's loose in third gear (dry pavement)! That is making around 70 or 80mph! Don't think they need to learn traction control at 80mph. They might be foolish enough to keep the throttle pinned when the ass end is loose.

NEWS FLASH! Just recently FOUR high school teenagers lost their lives, burned to death, when a LS1 Z28 being driven by a high school kid flew off a highway overpass and plummeted 100 ft to the ground, and burst into flames. They were leaving a pep rally or something, and the kid was showing off for his friends. BURNED TO DEATH.

I figured the LS1 motor would have extinguished the fire and saved the kids, since it is a miracle of GOD.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

NBM
    '00 Z28

Hmmm.... Good / fast first cars.

Impreza WRX, non STi (you couldn't afford it anyway)
    Neon SRT-4
    GTI
    Nissan 300 Z
    *94-96 Impala SS *nice style, plenty of room, safe car, good power, very moddable

Trust me, the Impala SS is probably the best car you could get for your first car. I used to have a Caprice. Seroiusly, it's great having that much room in the back seat! Plus, the LT1 has damn good power. It's going to have enough nuts to shove you back into those nice leather seats. Good quality sound system. Plus, best of all, RWD!!! You wont look like all the other fucktards doing FWD burnouts.

Honestly, the Impala SS would be the car that I would love my kid (whenever I have one) to own for their first. It's big enough to protect you, and fun enough to keep you happy.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

You want to start with a stick, so I would think a good car for you would be a fox body 5.0, stock. It's sporty, easy to drive, easy/cheap to mod, and they are cheap. You can have just liability on a car that is paid for, so insurance would not be a problem. After you get broken in, you can either mod it a little, or go straight for an LSX powered vehicle. I just hope your time in the 5.0 doesn't turn you against GM vehicles.

Sorry guys, but I don't know if I would have wanted an Impala SS at that age, that's kinda like driving my Dad's car around. "Hey Dad, can I borrow the keys for your car, I got a hot date tonight." Some cars are labeled as "chic" cars, and some are labeled as "midlife crisis" vehicles. The Impala SS is one of them.

I know I am going to hear some sh*t about this post.

A Scott Ashton
    Z for real but handle that shit and the ss isnt like way stronger they only have a couple of differences from the ss that you can buy and put on your Z . read up in gm high tech mag. that is the best mag for all these f bodies and other LS powerd beasts

black
    2002 corvette coupe

I am leaning to the fox body, for inexpensiveness and its like a brown paper wrapper, you just never know what's in the damn thing, and you will get respect in it, or man, if you want a truck get something better than the extreme, a 1500 extended cab looks good waayyy back into the 90's and rwd plus 350chevymotor yeah!!!!!! Or get a Trans Am or Z-28 and follow my very simple road survival rules, never speed over hills, around curves, when its wet, on neighborhood roads, and always follow your get instinct and don't listen to dumbasses, cuz if they were worth a fuck they'd have their own bad-ass car to try and kill themself in.

If you follow those rules, plus always watch when going thru an intersection in case of a dumbass trying to beat or just run a red light. I started driving (on the highway alone) when I was 14, I had no license or car insurance, and I followed every traffic rule to the tee, bc my father told me if I was caught he would say I did it without his knowledge and I would be in BIG trouble (no license until 18!!). So I was super cautious and very alert for cops or any weird things happening ahead of me, like swerving and piece of shit cars (always watch the cars with the body damage, they didn't get that way by theirself) and have still not had any accidents to this day (lucky too).

Sorry for the ramble, but I feel rather strongly about this, get what you want, but be take care of it and treat it like you won't ever have another one, and be careful bc you never do get another life.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information