Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Camaro Z28 = Cheap, Fast First Car?

This is a discussion on Camaro Z28 = Cheap, Fast First Car? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i hope we didnt loose him to the ricers GET A CAMARO OR AT LEAST A V8...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i hope we didnt loose him to the ricers

GET A CAMARO OR AT LEAST A V8
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

NBM
    '99 Z28

i agree with not gettin one when you are inxperienced i wanta Z28 or SS when i got my first can and i wanted a manuel well the rents let me get a v6 auto. To say the least i wasnt happy that i could get the ls1. Well i drove the v6 around for 3+yrs and at 19 sold it and got my Z28. Thats when i realized that my parents probably saved me from killing myself. I actually told my mom and thanked her. Moral of the story dont get the ls1 get some driving experience first like every1 else said

Shift4
    See, for my dad, its not even like a thing of its too fast, he just doesnt want to pay the insurance. . . how much would the difference actually be between that and an S-10 Xtreme 4.3L 5 Speed Manual? Any guesses? Would I be better off with a GTI or a MazdaSpeed Protege?

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Shift4
    See, for my dad, its not even like a thing of its too fast, he just doesnt want to pay the insurance. . . how much would the difference actually be between that and an S-10 Xtreme 4.3L 5 Speed Manual? Any guesses? Would I be better off with a GTI or a MazdaSpeed Protege?

hands down a gti...ms protege are garbage
    not to mention almost nobody makes parts for them...and the parts cost way to much. the 1.8t in the gti has a great aftermarket support.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Don't get a Z, if you really want an F-body, just get a 6-cylinder. They're still faster than most other cars out there, so you'll be content there, they still look great, so you'll be content there, and you'll be much more likely to live past high school. I lost 2 friends to f-bodies. No matter how responsible you think you are, the slightest bit of peer pressure in the wrong conditions can leave a slew of devastated parents. I drove a 92 geo tracker through high school and got a 01' V6 Camaro upon graduation, then just 6 months ago purchased an 02 Z28. I certainly worked my way up, but even at this point I make mistakes, just going for an aggressive, irritated pass on the interstate can put the car sideways if you aren't careful. No one can tell you they aren't fun, but they just aren't a teenager's car. Get a t-top or 'vert, or just get a new tuner that you can make your own. Keep in mind that having the cool car in high school only means a few things: 1) Everyone wants a ride, and they'll all scratch or stain the car, inside and out. 2) Everyone wants to see you be stupid in it. and 3) When the 16 year old girl whos daddy just bought her a new Benz throws her door into your hard earned car, everyone will hate you for being so mean and making her insurance cover it. Just my .02

Your friggin 15?? Come on man seriously, there are more important things than showing off to these rich punks. Most of which probably don't drive any better than your grandma. Take your time building your skill. It isn't something you can just jump in and drive off with. I thought my friends 2000 Eclipse GT was fast with roughly 210fwhp, then I drove his 95 LT1 Camaro and that was something I'll never forget. The sound was enough to shake your nerves a bit. I did floor it and mess around a bit but even then it was tricky. I was used to FWD and it felt like I had to pay more attention driving that thing. It was enough, however to convince me to get my own but I still don't think I'm ready for it. I'll probably get one next fall the earliest.

Bottom line, your Dad is looking out for you. Get the GTI or something similar. Get an understanding of what it's like, hell even get out to a drag strip or autocross once a while, then step up to the Camaro.
    Last edited by Murtaza; 02-26-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Red
    2000 SLP Camaro SS

I started out with a 95 Eagle Talon ESI when I was 16 and I definatly thought I was hot stuff lol........Then I moved on up to a 98 camaro v6 (3.8) and even then I noticed a huuuuge differance....I was smokin alot of cars even with it being a v6 (especialy mustangs!!!) I know it may not sound as cool as a v8 but I did that v6 up REAL NICE and to this day i regret not keeping it as a daily driver while I store my 2000 SS Camaro.

My advice go with a 3.8 Camaro they are good on insurance and pretty damn quick and look just as good as any other camaro out there!!!

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z/28

If you're under your parent's insurance which I'm assuming you are at that age Shift, I'd go with the Z28 if your parents will let you, be forewarned though I'd agree with some of these other guys when they say they thanked their parents for making them get a v6 first. (This LS1 I have now has PLENTY of power). I started looking for my 2nd Camaro at the age of 19, with $5k to burn. There weren't any decent LT1 powered F-bodies I could afford, let alone a 6 speed, so I got a great 64,xxx mile original owner silver v6 Camaro with a 5 speed. Great car, great mileage and still has plenty of get up and go until you maybe get more experience behind the wheel. When you're ready to move up, I could never complain about getting my 98 Z28 M6 with 23,000 miles on it in premium condition for $9,500 last month, no way! and it's got way more get up and go

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

I am happy for you that you can even consider a Camaro at 16. Most everyone has given you excellent advice. The LT1/LS1 F-bodies may be the fastest 'stock' cars ever made and you MUST respect the power to the rear wheels. It takes nothing to find yourself in panic mode when you are inexperienced. Even the most experienced drivers still are awed by the power. If you should get one, be ultra careful in the rain. You can barely get from point A to point B without losing traction. Since you have some money, Don't be cheap with tires!! The new Goodyear GSD3, Bridgestone Potenzas, Michelin Pilots (AA traction rating) will help immensely and don't let the treads get under 25% in any circumstances. Good luck and remember our voices. You will have lots of fun and be careful at the same time.

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I am 16 and I completely agree with what everyone below has said. I havent wrecked my car or gotten a ticket, mainly because dad is paying my insurance and he would have my ass. I have BF Goodrich KD (The article stated that KD stood for KILLER DRY) tires on my car. They stick really good on dry land, but a previous test shows that in rain they are next to and in most tests the worst, along with the power of my WS6 and the limited stick of the tire neways, could prove very fun at times. But if you do get a Z28 just be careful with it, especially in the rain, no matter what type of tire you have. If I gave an opinion on the best tire I would get Goodyear F1 eagles. Good luck tho.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

if you have to go with something else looking into a turbocharged car, like a dsm you'd enjoy get a talon tsi, with some little work you can be in the 13's no prob.....

i went from a cavalier to a saturn to turbocharging the saturn to my 3rd gen f-body, but i think my turbo 1.9 is faster lol. when i get the ls1 this year i will be in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28
    if you have to go with something else looking into a turbocharged car, like a dsm you'd enjoy get a talon tsi, with some little work you can be in the 13's no prob.....

i went from a cavalier to a saturn to turbocharging the saturn to my 3rd gen f-body, but i think my turbo 1.9 is faster lol. when i get the ls1 this year i will be in heaven
    Buying a dsm only to mod it is kind of defeating the purpose of not getting a Z28 in the first place. No one can handle a performance car as your first car at 15-16 years old. I learned to drive when I was 12 using my fathers 83 Impala and no matter what I've driven, I wouldn't be ready for a Camaro at 15. At least, I woudn't be able to fully control it and get the most out of it. I'm just now saving all my pennies for a Z28 which I'll probably get on my 19th b-day.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

i'm saying if he can't get a z28 but his dad will let him get a dsm, he'll think its slow because its a 4 cyclinder but if he knows about snails he might change his mind

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28
    i'm saying if he can't get a z28 but his dad will let him get a dsm, he'll think its slow because its a 4 cyclinder but if he knows about snails he might change his mind
    Ha, that's true. 'Look dad, it's got a 4cyl! Just like a Civic!'

Tinton
    People are saying go to V6 F-bodies. I reccommend a V6 Pontiac Fiero (for obvious reasons, I have 2, heh). With a 5-speed they're quick cars, as quick as a modern V6 F-body. I've beaten V6 stangs, Preludes, Integras, Civics, etc, in my a3 Fiero GT. 140 hp in a 2600 lb car is pretty quick. That's the main reason I'm selling my Camaro, I'm sticking a LS1 into the back of a Fiero. 350 hp+2600 lbs = really fast go kart. That's compared to a f-body with 350 hp and 3400 lbs. Now, if only I can afford it, lol....

Oh yeah, the mid-engine rear-drive layout means better traction. I can get my Dad's Saturn SL2 to do a decent burnout (120 hp FWD, a4), but I can't get my a3 Fiero to burn out at all. Just remember that if you do get one, the physics are much different from a front-engine RWD car like a Camaro. Weight has to be put on the front tires by braking hard into the turns or you understeer. And, if you do lose the back end, a Camaro might just fishtail a bit, a Fiero, being so ass-heavy, will do a 360 very easily. Its a welcome feeling to come from my Camaro to my Fieros though, with my old 245's I could lose traction by flooring it at 70 mph on the highway, that is a scary feeling if you've never encountered it before. In fact, I heard of a guy who had just bought a Ford GT, he wanted to test it so he floored it. He immediately lost control and totaled it. Shows money can't buy driving skill. One bad thing about Fieros is that they were only made from 84-88, so you'd get some good experience fixing your car...

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by Tinton
    People are saying go to V6 F-bodies. I reccommend a V6 Pontiac Fiero (for obvious reasons, I have 2, heh). With a 5-speed they're quick cars, as quick as a modern V6 F-body. I've beaten V6 stangs, Preludes, Integras, Civics, etc, in my a3 Fiero GT. 140 hp in a 2600 lb car is pretty quick. That's the main reason I'm selling my Camaro, I'm sticking a LS1 into the back of a Fiero. 350 hp+2600 lbs = really fast go kart. That's compared to a f-body with 350 hp and 3400 lbs. Now, if only I can afford it, lol....

Oh yeah, the mid-engine rear-drive layout means better traction. I can get my Dad's Saturn SL2 to do a decent burnout (120 hp FWD, a4), but I can't get my a3 Fiero to burn out at all. Just remember that if you do get one, the physics are much different from a front-engine RWD car like a Camaro. Weight has to be put on the front tires by braking hard into the turns or you understeer. And, if you do lose the back end, a Camaro might just fishtail a bit, a Fiero, being so ass-heavy, will do a 360 very easily. Its a welcome feeling to come from my Camaro to my Fieros though, with my old 245's I could lose traction by flooring it at 70 mph on the highway, that is a scary feeling if you've never encountered it before. In fact, I heard of a guy who had just bought a Ford GT, he wanted to test it so he floored it. He immediately lost control and totaled it. Shows money can't buy driving skill. One bad thing about Fieros is that they were only made from 84-88, so you'd get some good experience fixing your car...
    i've beat v6 camaros,most imports and ect in my cavalier 5speed it doesn't take too much if you know how to drive

i can get my saturn aka the (gm cummins) to burn them threw third

but really look into something you really like cause if your buying something just to be fast and hate how it looks and ect whats the worth in that ya know

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Tinton
    with my old 245's I could lose traction by flooring it at 70 mph on the highway, that is a scary feeling if you've never encountered it before. In fact, I heard of a guy who had just bought a Ford GT, he wanted to test it so he floored it. He immediately lost control and totaled it
    Dude you're not BS'in....a few days ago the highway was still a little wet from a rain a few hours earlier(looked dry)...anyway I floor it trying to pass a corolla S at a 70 roll in my auto and the ass end broke loose...almost sharted in my pants I straightened it out pretty easily...but still, got the ol' heart pumpin pretty good. The face of the dude in the corolla was hilarious...guess he couldn't believe I broke'em loose going 70. Gotta get better tires

Shift4
    Then if not an LS1 F-body what? I'm not really into going with the V6 F-body because then I just have the slower one. . . MAYBE but probably not. . . Should I just keep lookin at the S-10 Xtreme 4.3L?? GTI?? Mazdaspeed Protege?? I want your opinions on a fun fast car that won't COMPLETELY kill me. . . Still, the LS1 is pretty sweet even though dangerous. . .

Oh, and by the way, how many of you actually know who this smiley is? Slash is awesome. . .

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

everyone knows slash lol,how about on of the early 90's celica awd turbo. very nice cars

Black
    2000 TA Built

Talking

im turning 17 in may and i drove a 1998 v6 mustang 5 speed before i got my
    z28 about 2 and a half weeks ago.......my advice is definetely get a camaro v6 5 speed.....i can honestly say that i thought my v6 mustang was the shit....i promise you if you get one of the 200 hp v6 5 speed camaros you will think it is fast....because honestly they are....the only thing is i drove my mustang and managed to wreck the front end....i had the 16 yr old i think i can drive my car badass pre ricer syndrome....glad i came out of it....

another thing is if you buy the v6 you will beat alot of cars however when you buy the z28 and you stomp it down you will say holy freaking shit!....thats the z effect but if you jump into the z right away you WILL wreck it...plus you will never be able to upgrade the same way i would get a v6 and wait....

andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information