Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is this Camaro an SS? Here's how you can tell...

This is a discussion on Is this Camaro an SS? Here's how you can tell... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by secondgearscratch i like when i have clean ol' shit and nothing comes off on the paper. i ...

Red
    '97 SS

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i like when i have clean ol' shit and nothing comes off on the paper. i was kidding about the anger. i like the smartassness!!!
    I heard the question once..... Do you fold or ball up your tp?

black
    99 ss camaro 1509

hey i got these idiots trying to tell me his 2001 camaro!!!. is a SS wu8 built by GM. slp dident build the hoods or anything and also its a 1LE car too. SLP built all SS camaros right.?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss1509 View Post
    hey i got these idiots trying to tell me his 2001 camaro!!!. is a SS wu8 built by GM. slp dident build the hoods or anything and also its a 1LE car too. SLP built all SS camaros right.?
    um, what?

black
    99 ss camaro 1509

all SS camaro's were built by SLP right?. this guy is trying to tell me only the SLP option cars are slp cars. and GM put the hoods and stuff on them. i know SLP put the hood n stuff on mine its a 99 SS 1509 of 3900 all GM options all SLP options. 98 posible being made

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

all SS's went through SLP but not all of them had extra SLP options installed.

black
    99 ss camaro 1509

black it said on the differences between the f-body years post not all just the y2y cars went to slp my freinds 98 says ss on insurance card? no ss hood says z28 on the door code thing. thanks alote man!

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

I'll be looking this up when I get off work. Mine is confusing. I haven't ran across any slp stickers but it has a z28 emblem on the PS wheel well under the hood. However, when I bought the car a few years ago it had all the SS goodies. Like a performance card. A little booklet. A pin. And a tire gauge. All branded with SS. As far as the hood foes, its a ws6 hood with the volant air box kit . But I have an SS spoiler and 17x10 SS rims. So basically, I have a Z28/SS. Oh did I mention recently finding out it's a rebuilt motor and tranny?? Mystery car :P

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

I have the black vinyl top that I thought only the z28's had.. I could be wrong. My insurance card says SS /Z28... wtf

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by EPIDEMIC View Post
    I'll be looking this up when I get off work. Mine is confusing. I haven't ran across any slp stickers but it has a z28 emblem on the PS wheel well under the hood. However, when I bought the car a few years ago it had all the SS goodies. Like a performance card. A little booklet. A pin. And a tire gauge. All branded with SS. As far as the hood foes, its a ws6 hood with the volant air box kit . But I have an SS spoiler and 17x10 SS rims. So basically, I have a Z28/SS. Oh did I mention recently finding out it's a rebuilt motor and tranny?? Mystery car :P
    I have the black vinyl top that I thought only the z28's had.. I could be wrong. My insurance card says SS /Z28... wtf
    Ummmmmm..... wat?

Vinyl top?
    SS wheels are not 17x10

Every SS started life as a Z28. Why would someone get rid of their SS hood is beside me. Check the RPO codes to see if it's a real SS.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Yes vinyl top. The car is red and has a black roof. I suppose I am wrong about the rims then? Are they the zr1? Gosh now I'm confused. The SS hood is pretty but I do like that my camaro stands out compared to the next guys'. Which is why I initially did the berger panel... that everyone has now lol. I'll get back to the thread and share my findings

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Yes vinyl top. The car is red and has a black roof. I suppose I am wrong about the rims then? Are they the zr1? Gosh now I'm confused. The SS hood is pretty but I do like that my camaro stands out compared to the next guys'. Which is why I initially did the berger panel... that everyone has now lol. I'll get back to the thread and share my findings
    Oh I gotcha. You said vinyl top, I was thinking like a 80's Caddy. ZR1 wheels are similar looking to SS 5 spokes, but the rears would be 17x11. The reason I ask about the hood is, those SS hoods net a pretty penny for a real one. They are the most desired hood on our cars. Why would someone own an SS and then change the hood out, that is what is confusing about it. WU8 and Y2Y will tell you all you need to know.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

I would've never been able to commit to buying new hood lol. Almost everything I've done is bolt on and I've kept the stock parts. The hood was on there when I bought it but the scoops look pretty aggressive. I don't mean to go off the topic too much but, what're the differences between the ZR1 and the SS rims? They're 17x10 all the way around with a Chevy bow tie on the center cap.

Victory Red
    2000 SS

RPO codes and you can also call SLP. I called them and they verified the VIN and sent me the birth certificate. Its pretty cool to frame and hang behind the bar.

Like mentioned, WU8 on your driver door tag will tell you if it's a real SS. If you also have Y2Y then the car also got some SLP options,,,in which case the passenger door will have an SLP sticker listing those options.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

I had one guy at a local car show tell me if it has ss emblems its an ss!! I said really??? Im not sure about other year camaros but the 2002 ss cars all went to slp for hood and rear spoiler Which they also painted, And if you look carefully you can tell there is a slight difference in the color between the hood spoiler and body. And of course they also went to slp to get slp options, If slp options were ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    I had one guy at a local car show tell me if it has ss emblems its an ss!! I said really??? Im not sure about other year camaros but the 2002 ss cars all went to slp for hood and rear spoiler Which they also painted, And if you look carefully you can tell there is a slight difference in the color between the hood spoiler and body. And of course they also went to slp to get slp options, If slp options were ordered.
    It would have a WU8 RPO code on the driver door sticker if it were a true SS,,,that's really the easiest way to know if what you are looking at is the real deal. If you don't see the code, it's not what it's presented to be, and you could probably take that a step further and peak under the car to look for the larger SS sway bars and yellow poly end links as most people faking an SS wouldn't go through the trouble to switch that stuff.
    The RPO code is concrete though, no need to go any further, it either is or it isn't.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

its nice when you have a true ss and a z28 side by side to compare rpo codes with.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It would have a WU8 RPO code on the driver door sticker if it were a true SS,,,that's really the easiest way to know if what you are looking at is the real deal. If you don't see the code, it's not what it's presented to be, and you could probably take that a step further and peak under the car to look for the larger SS sway bars and yellow poly end links as most people faking an SS wouldn't go through the trouble to switch that stuff.
    The RPO code is concrete though, no need to go any further, it either is or it isn't.
    Yea i know how to tell if its a real ss , I just thought it was funny that the guy really believed it was an ss just because it said ss.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    for example, would you skip wipping your ass after taking a shit, pull up your pants and just walk off, or would you REMEMBER to wipe you ass to make sure no dingleberries are left behind...?

I started reading this thread & thought I was on tech.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information