Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

CAMARO not coming out until 2009 now!!! This sucks!!

This is a discussion on CAMARO not coming out until 2009 now!!! This sucks!! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; You know, it has nothing to do with making my car's value going down. I just don't like the way ...

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

You know, it has nothing to do with making my car's value going down. I just don't like the way the new one looks. To be honest...here I go...I think Ford did a really great job with the new Mustang. You can really tell the heritage behind the mustang. Their rendition of their old-school Thunderbird looked really nice; too bad it was an apparent flop. Dodge's Challenger looks really nice I think. I don't know what's up with GM. FOR EXAMPLE, the GTO, tell me that looks anything, ANYTHING like the original. To me it looks like an updated, a la special edition concept, of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately, my guess is that GM decided to go with the new Camaro to play catch-up with Ford.

2010 Camaro rs/ss

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    You know, it has nothing to do with making my car's value going down. I just don't like the way the new one looks. To be honest...here I go...I think Ford did a really great job with the new Mustang. You can really tell the heritage behind the mustang. Their rendition of their old-school Thunderbird looked really nice; too bad it was an apparent flop. Dodge's Challenger looks really nice I think. I don't know what's up with GM. FOR EXAMPLE, the GTO, tell me that looks anything, ANYTHING like the original. To me it looks like an updated, a la special edition concept, of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately, my guess is that GM decided to go with the new Camaro to play catch-up with Ford.
    I agree. They blew with the gto. and they are taking too long with the camaro.

I don't think they should go retro anyway.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    i personally would not buy one because its new and going to be expensive. like 4-6k over list price. sooo im out for a few years. nice car though. i wish they would put the ls7 in the ss. i think that would sell nicely
    I think they're talking about putting the ls7 in a possible zl1.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I've got a question, why is no one really fighting for the firebird to come back?

Black
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I've got a question, why is no one really fighting for the firebird to come back?
    Thats a good question. I think it has to do with the GTO sharing the zeta platform with the new Maro tho.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

aren't they discontinueing the gto? I thought 06 is the last year for it

Hotrod
    Yeah this is the end of the GTO...again! But supposedly it'll come back out...again!

sun set orange
    2002 ss

I think many years ago GM took some tax breaks from the canadain gov.to build the last plant . In order to gain this tax break Gm may have stated that they would build camaros in canada until a certain date.Thus the 2009.

red

You have to remember they are starting with a clean sheet of paper. Plus the fact GM has to refurb a plant to build this car. Not a easy task not to mention very expensive. The time frame that the car is coming out is very good IMO.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

In my opinion, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they stopped the GTO. They really shouldn't have ever made it since it doesn't do the GTO name justice. At first glance it still reminds me of a Cavelier.

Though it sucks to wait until 2009 for the new Camaro I know it will be worth it. The new Challenger is pretty sweet too...but it's no Chevy!

Headers, Exhaust, Strut Tower Brace, Subframe Brace, Drive Shaft Loop, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Mass Airflow Sensor, New Throttle Body, Airbox Lid w/ K&N Air Filter

Red
    2000 SS

If it is coming out as an 09 model, it will likely be available mid 2008 and available for order even before then. I think the new design is great. It had its retro cues but also brings in some innovative design and also some of the sexy curves from the 06 vette. I am looking forward to the improved handling on larger rims and an independant rear suspension.

I too have heard rumors that the ls7 may be an option in the new cars. I have also read that the upcoming vettes may have the option of a 6 spd. DSG paddleshifted automatic from GM. If thats the case it may show up in the camaro models also. For me its exciting to see GM doing some crazy stuff with concepts and power like Chrysler and Ford. I admit the GTO was terrible and hopefully they learned from that. I think Ford made the same mistake with the new Thunderbird. I think that was one of the uglies cars to roll out of a factory in a long time.

Hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
    You have to remember they are starting with a clean sheet of paper. Plus the fact GM has to refurb a plant to build this car. Not a easy task not to mention very expensive. The time frame that the car is coming out is very good IMO.
    I'd just assume see them scrap one of those POS cars and build the Camaro in that plant. There's plenty of GM cars that could be taken off the market and noone would miss it! Besides that there are PLENTY of other locations that could have started on this besides Canada. They couldn't build it again until 2009 if they built it in Canada, but who says Canada is the only place they can assemble a car? I'm sure there are business decisions behind it, but why come out with a concept 3 years before production starts?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    I'd just assume see them scrap one of those POS cars and build the Camaro in that plant. There's plenty of GM cars that could be taken off the market and noone would miss it! Besides that there are PLENTY of other locations that could have started on this besides Canada. They couldn't build it again until 2009 if they built it in Canada, but who says Canada is the only place they can assemble a car? I'm sure there are business decisions behind it, but why come out with a concept 3 years before production starts?
    the OSHAWA,Ontario PLANT is # 1 or #2 ---top of the list of plants with the least troubles/comebacks/recalls..so on.....sure they could have built it in the states...but this way it is NOT being built in QUEBEC.or AUSSIELAND.....THOUSANDS of miles away!!! thats a plus IMO...and it is keeping it in NORTH AMERICA.....
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

red

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post

There was only two plants in the running. Canada and Delaware. It's really not three years, more like two or two and half, which is not bad. GM just can't bring a concept car out and a year later have the production car out. Not going to happen for any car man. Hell GM has to build the tools so they can build the car. You can't close the plant one friday and come monday build another platform out of the same plant.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

since the new vettes are like in the mid to low 12s and less, I wonder if the new z or ss will run consistent high to mid 12s... I really doubt they will have SS out for a couple years atleast until so many have run off of the assembly line. I really wonder what the new zl1s are going to be running with. I am determined as hell to own a newer 4th or 5th+gen zl1 one of these days! maybe an old one too! Nobody on the street even KNOWS what a zl1 is!

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    To be honest, I liked some of those other Camaro renditions that have been floating out there. You know...

like this one
    Click for full size

or this one
    Click for full size

or this one
    Click for full size

this one...
    Click for full size

I'm just not feeling it.
    +1

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    since the new vettes are like in the mid to low 12s and less, I wonder if the new z or ss will run consistent high to mid 12s... I really doubt they will have SS out for a couple years atleast until so many have run off of the assembly line. I really wonder what the new zl1s are going to be running with. I am determined as hell to own a newer 4th or 5th+gen zl1 one of these days! maybe an old one too! Nobody on the street even KNOWS what a zl1 is!
    I doubt the car will see 12's stock with the approximate 400hp it is supposed to have. The car will still be too heavy. The vette can run that fast because it weighs about 3200 lbs where the new camaro will probably be in the same range as the 4th gen.......about 3700-3800 lbs. Weight is an issue they are working on....and I think I read it may even have a version of the 403 HP 6.2L engine they use in the Escalades because it weighs less than the current 6.0L LS2. They are not just trying to cut weight for performance, but also to meet upcoming, more strict EPA standards......which also contributes to the time it takes to launch a car from a concept.

SOM
    2002 SS/SLP #7704

I totally agree. I think the new Camaro looks like crap! The new Challenger is going to give everyone a run for their money...especialy if the rumor about them developing a 7.1L for the SRT version is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I love maros but i'm not excited about it coming back....maybe it's because I think it looks like dookie. Now the challenger...I can't wait for that baby to go on sale

White
    2001 Z28

If GM does build the Camaro, they should build a version with the LS7. But not just 69 of them in the manner of the ZL-1. They should build a car to meet and beat the Shelby Mustang. I would buy one!

Red
    1995 240SX

I was hoping they would come out sooner as well. I have to keep the lethargic 2001 Impala LS together until it comes out. Fortunately my '06 Silverado LT3 2500 6.6L diesel is new!
    At any rate they better come out with the Z or SS ASAP when they start producing them, cause that's what I want with the 7.0 L manual 6 sp!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information