Thread: A/C Delete

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

A/C Delete

ok my ac compressor is shot. and rather than replace it i want to delete the whole system. i dont drive it daily and never use it. plus it would really clean up the engine bay. anyways i was wondering if their is anything i should be aware of befor doing it. and will this effect the heating system at all. and do i remove the box under the hood that the ac lines run into, and if i do is their going to be a hole in the firewall. any thought would be appreciated!! thanks!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc.HTM

Scroll down, they offer a AC delete panel.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Hey Hi Po... The kit states " Note: this kit is designed to be used with an electric water pump and no power steering or air conditioning.". Not trying to be an expert here but no power steering at the track is okay. I run a short belt at the track and it only cost $13... The kit is 129... I could just run the short belt all the time and do the same. I could remove the A/C and not need anything from that kit. Am I missing something??

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Hey Hi Po... The kit states " Note: this kit is designed to be used with an electric water pump and no power steering or air conditioning.". Not trying to be an expert here but no power steering at the track is okay. I run a short belt at the track and it only cost $13... The kit is 129... I could just run the short belt all the time and do the same. I could remove the A/C and not need anything from that kit. Am I missing something??
    Im referring to JUST the panel. You didnt scroll down far enough. Your looking at the alternator mounting kit.

Since race cars don't need air conditioning and deleting the entire system can save almost 100 pounds, this is a no-brainer modification. BMR's A/C delete panel for the Fourth Generation F-Body is an easy solution to the large hole left in the firewall once the A/C has been removed. Made from 1/8" aluminum to keep the product lightweight yet not flexible. Patterned after the OE A/C box and precision laser cut to bolt on using existing mounting holes.

FP003 1993-2002 F-Body A/C Delete Panel $79.95 ea.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Im referring to JUST the panel. You didnt scroll down far enough. Your looking at the alternator mounting kit.

Since race cars don't need air conditioning and deleting the entire system can save almost 100 pounds, this is a no-brainer modification. BMR's A/C delete panel for the Fourth Generation F-Body is an easy solution to the large hole left in the firewall once the A/C has been removed. Made from 1/8" aluminum to keep the product lightweight yet not flexible. Patterned after the OE A/C box and precision laser cut to bolt on using existing mounting holes.

FP003 1993-2002 F-Body A/C Delete Panel $79.95 ea.

Thanks.... And why I asked... The alt kit while dressing up things... Is a ripoff IMO...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Thanks.... And why I asked... The alt kit while dressing up things... Is a ripoff IMO...

Seems kinda of expensive.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

about the only thing to know is that you need to take it to a state and federally certified shop to have the refrigerant drawn out of the system. after that you just take out the components.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Most places will gladly take your r134a, probably for free if you find the right place.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

thanks for the suggestions guys, but what about the box under their the heater system isnt hooked into that is it

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    ok my ac compressor is shot. and rather than replace it i want to delete the whole system. i dont drive it daily and never use it. plus it would really clean up the engine bay. anyways i was wondering if their is anything i should be aware of befor doing it. and will this effect the heating system at all. and do i remove the box under the hood that the ac lines run into, and if i do is their going to be a hole in the firewall. any thought would be appreciated!! thanks!
    If you are not planning to turn this car into strictly a race-car, I think it would be a bad idea to delete the A/C. It will affect the HVAC system in that your defroster will be pretty much useless - Also, the value of the vehicle would be substantially reduced.

Just my two-cents. . .

Rip

White
    2000 Camaro

^ My thoughts exactly, and its not like A/C robs any horsepower.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

realistically a/c delete is just good for the weight reduction. if you want more hp and less rotating mass on the engine just take the a/c belt off.

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    realistically a/c delete is just good for the weight reduction. if you want more hp and less rotating mass on the engine just take the a/c belt off.
    holy shit how do you know what i did???!!!!!!!

02 Z28

well atleast eversince it was getting colder here in the bay area. i slap a new 1 back on everytime i "feel" its hot. haha and it she blows cold man. haha and fellas, idk how much hp, but you could feel the difference when you take the belt off.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    yeah i know, i already had removed the belt and been running it for a while without the a/c. i just want to remove it to have less clutter in the engine bay, and make it a little easier to work on. i live in pa and have t-tops so i litterly never use it. the reason i removed the belt is because the compressor was making noise

Thread Information