red
    1998 Z28

Buying a 98Z28, but need opinion

I drove it today, and will take it to mechanic tomorrow to look under it. I havent driven a6 speed before, but it was hard to get into 5th and 6th gear, but never got about 65mph so maybe thats why.
    Only engine mod here is slp cold air intake houseing and filter. Owner added new alt, but not sure if new or refurb alt.
    I did notice a noise at idel, and in 1st and 2nd gear, sounds like something in the front of the engine like the belts. sound is a metal squealing that increases with rpm. Maybe a harmonic balancer or belt tensionior. Alos the abs and brake light stays on. Brakes seem to work, but I know owner is young and has added corvette rims and may nave changed the brakes at some point, could that have a problem? Car seems to have more power than my LT1 I just rebuilt and sold.

Drivers side tire is bald, but all other tires have tread, they are all falken low profile. Owner said he replaced passenger cause of a nail, but it seems used but not bald. Could there be a problem I should look for tomorrow? When I drove, I didnt notice any pulling, and stoping was good ant strong. Seemed to pull strong thru low and high rpm, but did see a little oil residue on passenger side of engine, maybe a pcv or egr valve leaking.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/388599573.html
    heres a link to site where Z28 is for sell, Im getting a muuuuuuuccch better price than what is posted, like 4k less.

Anyhow, I didnt get to take to shop today he had classes, and I couldnt get an appointment at the local Fbody shop I trust. I am hoping tomorrow.

Please take a look at ad, and maybe ten tell me what you think after seeing the car.

Just had trouble getting into, hard to find most likely, the other gears went in fine, just 1st time in a 6speed and gears are much closer together and in different format seems like. I was only able to drive around residential areas and never got about 65 or 70 so I may never have even gotten into 6th gear territory.

I didnt hear any noise from rear end, exhaust sounded pretty smooth and had a nice rumble to it. Sounded better than my 95Z28. From what i could see under car, it had sub fram connectors, but not sure if bolted or welded. It looked like old oil or grease on driveshaft are on bottom of car, could see the actual driveshaft but the area of the car seemed to have alot of old buildup of grease or oil and grime.
    I know this guy is second owner, he purchased car in Texas at 50k miles, and driven it for 59k miles in Ga and in Texas. Never any snow or bad winter driving. No wreck damage as I could see except someone keyed the driverside of the car and the hood, but he lives on college campus, and I saw a couple of other cars there keyed up.

As far as ABS and Brake light, I had same problem on 95Z28, but was a problem with the 3rd brake light, and drivers side brake lightbulds were burnt and grounding out. I also had ASR on 95Z28, that light came on too with abs and brake, but I didnt notice an ASR light on the 98 Z28. Does anyone know if 98 has Traction Control Option?
    Car brakes very well, and I didnt notice any pulling when driveing or braking.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

im sorry but for 9 grand u can get something with alot better than 100kmiles

white
    2002 z28

shoot someone just paid 17,000 for a 137,000 mile car here .

red
    1998 Z28

he is asking 9k, but I got him at 5k. He has to pay his tuition by Friday or no school, and hes out of time. 5k is all I have and he accepted so he can stay in school. hes not happy but hes willing.

Red
    01 Camaro SS & 1995 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    im sorry but for 9 grand u can get something with alot better than 100kmiles
    He said he was getting it for about 4k less than what was posted....so I believe he would be getting it for 5k....which would be a good deal as described. With all the "minor" problems with it, those can be fixed for cheap. It appears as your "ran semi-hard but still alive" Z28 that can be brought back to life with some TLC....not that it is in that bad of shape. As far as the shifting once you get into 5th-6th....it may be the odd feel of shifting into those higher gears. I found that I had to "fish" around a bit until I was completely comfortable shifting the T56.....because the only manuals I had ever owned prior to this was the oddball cars I owned when stationed overseas (Japan, Turkey, and England), and a 5 speed Mitsu and 4 speed Ranger. It takes awhile to get used to the T56...and it sounds as if you are not too experienced. That is why mine felt a little odd at first but now it is like shifting a fork through mashed potatoes....smooth.

Take a look under it....if all seems well....sounds like a good buy Voodoo! Good luck and take care.

red
    1998 Z28

thnx, called the guy tonight to seal the deal,but 1st taking it to advanced auto to have them scan codes from ECU, if nothing major poping up, then I own it. I figure I can repair most of the other problems as I find them. I just finished a 95 Z28, ported intake manifold to 58mm, added a 58mm tb, aluminum elbow, cold air intake, new intake gasket, new valve gaskets, tb bypass, new 140 amp alt, 160 thermostat, tower strut bar, and had 460le transmission rebuilt. Was going to upgrade rearend, but didnt want to deal with swaping 2x carrier to 3x carier, and I wanted LS1, so I sold the car for 5000.00, exactly what I have to put into the 98 z28. I learned alot, and feel more confident to work on this next project.

Thnx for all input.

Thread Information