Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Burnout Question

This is a discussion on Burnout Question within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Ryanater Haha, so do I. Why would you order 4 series gears w/o a posi? It make ...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    Haha, so do I. Why would you order 4 series gears w/o a posi? It make no sense. But back in the day you could pretty much order up any combo you wanted.

btw: my 6cyl didn't have a posi. It sucked!!!
    The one I have I bought NIB at the Long Beach swap meet for $20 about 10-15 years ago. The casting number and date code indicate that it's a 12-bolt passenger car carrier. I use it as a door stop and a conversation piece.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by smallblockhero View Post
    this is very true. in the 1969 z28..the 4 speed is standard as well as 12 bolt. but the Z could be had with an open diff.it was not standard option!special order 1969 Z's could get a factory 4:88 or 5:13s without posi as well. and a few hemi cars in the mid 60's(ie:satellite,belvedere)also had the 8 an 3/4 open diffs. posi was not standard on all hi-po big block and small block cars. whats even weirder was a lot of 4 door non hi-po cars had it from factory back then. it was a lot of what was available when it came to assembly line cars if it wasnt ordered that way.
    I've found that more posi cars from "back in the day" were built in back east and mid-west plants due to the winter snow and lack of traction. Quite a few of the hipo west coast (especially LA) built cars had open diffs unless you ordered it with a posi.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Sorry guys but uh.......anyways, how do we fix our one legged problems?

dark blue
    1998 Z28 A4

oh yeah...only 1 fix. replace it! thats all there is too it.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

the rear end...the differential? im kinda new here

Black
    2001 camaro SS

After looking it up ive found that i have the posi traction limited slip. Once i start doing my burnout the passenger side starts moving immediately and the driver side slowly starts turning and takes about a second to catch up with the passenger side. But leaves to strips of rubber. So it looks like theres a G76 : POSITRACTION REAR/ G80 : AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP/ and G81 : POSITRACTION REAR AXLE

dark blue
    1998 Z28 A4

my knowledge of the RPO codes for newer camaros i limited. but....it sounds like your clutch type differential needs replacing. not a big deal unless your broke(money wise). if you have the fundage pick a rear that suits you 9"ford or 12 bolt style or even the new S60 which is really a DANA 60. or just buy a new center section and be happy.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by smallblockhero View Post
    my knowledge of the RPO codes for newer camaros i limited. but....it sounds like your clutch type differential needs replacing. not a big deal unless your broke(money wise). if you have the fundage pick a rear that suits you 9"ford or 12 bolt style or even the new S60 which is really a DANA 60. or just buy a new center section and be happy.
    To replace the clutches in an Eaton posi unit you have to disasmble the entire rear end. Easier than it sounds but harder than it looks especially if you don't have the correct tools for reassembly. To wit: a dial indicator with a magnetic base and a torque wrench that goes up to the necessary torque value for the pinion nut. Not really a job for a novice. Like the man sez, if you've the required $$$ invest in a better unit as this IS the weakest link in the drivetrain.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Interesting...well maybe I'll try an actual burnout and quit being so cheap when it comes to tires and see what happens....then I'll go from there with the replacement of the rear end.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I guess I'm a one legger...I thought it was standard too...then I do a small tire spin and my driver's side wouldn't spin and i'm like WTF????? I thought every camaro 98-02 with a v8 would have posi....so what can i do to fix it is what i want to know and how much?
    Yeah, its called an Auburn!!!!
    It is worn out to the point that it does a one legger!!!
    I just pulled my Auburn out of my Camaro which was doing a one legger! Installed a Torsen, which will not wear out like a Auburn.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

well, I know my posi works

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

YES!!! I'm not one-legger! I went out and found a dead parking lot by some university and let em roast for a couple seconds....hehe.... i guess it takes a second or two for the driver side to start

Black
    2001 camaro SS

Mines the exact same way. Takes a second for the driver side to get going.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information