Thread: build an ls

bloodxnightmare

build an ls

I am just now getting into f-bodys and I was wondering if it would be worth buying a v6 and save money on gas and insurance and then build an LS engine and drop it in once its done. good idea? or should I just buy an ls1 from the start?

Black
    99 SS

na, i would just by an LS1 car it would save tons of time and money in the long run of things.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Not worth it! Unlike older gen cars. You can't just "toss in" any engine and it will work. Computers now a days has prevented this from being "easy". If you were buying a 79 and wanted to do an engine swap, I'd say go for it. But on a 90's on up,... nope. Everyone here will tell you to buy the engine you want and stick with it. V6/V8, choose before you buy, not after. JMTC.

Rob

1978 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    na, i would just by an LS1 car it would save tons of time and money in the long run of things.
    Good advice, insurance companies may deny a claim cause your vehicle is modified, then stolen, they will do all they can to get out of paying a claim or minimizing the payout.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodxnightmare
    I am just now getting into f-bodys and I was wondering if it would be worth buying a v6 and save money on gas and insurance and then build an LS engine and drop it in once its done. good idea? or should I just buy an ls1 from the start?
    here comes a sales pitch. I have an LS1 swap 94 Camaro, used to be a v6. Still pay v6 insurance and I asked around what would happen if it got wrecked. Well I can sell the motor and trans after buying back the salvage for a mear 500 bucks. You can find an early 4th gen v6 for about 4k in great condition and do the swap for another 5-6 depending if you do it yourself or have someone else drop it in. For the same price though you can just buy an ls1 car with a lot more miles than a newer motor. I'm trying to sell mine if you're interested

Thread Information