Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Buddy just picked up a 99 SS today, pics inside

This is a discussion on Buddy just picked up a 99 SS today, pics inside within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by TLS_Addict My 2000 has body color mirros. I thought it was 98 and 99 that had black ...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    My 2000 has body color mirros. I thought it was 98 and 99 that had black and 2000-2002 had body color mirrors.
    Duno, my buddy's last NBM Z didnt, his NBM SS doesn't, and my pewter Z doesn't... and they're all Y2Ks

Ray Charles blue

Somethings up because I have checked a few sources and it states that 2000 Camaros come with body color mirrors. Perhaps it goes by build date? I dont doubt that GM would say they all have body color when in fact they dont......lol Damn you GM!

Also, I was looking at it says in 98 (I think) that they had a shortage of cams so they used the ones from the C5. I thought all the LS1s of each year used the same cams but perhaps I am wrong? Seriously I thought a 98 C5, Camaro, and Firebird would all have the same cams. Perhaps its stamped or something different on the end?

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2000/...ons/index.html

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Somethings up because I have checked a few sources and it states that 2000 Camaros come with body color mirrors. Perhaps it goes by build date? I dont doubt that GM would say they all have body color when in fact they dont......lol Damn you GM!

Also, I was looking at it says in 98 (I think) that they had a shortage of cams so they used the ones from the C5. I thought all the LS1s of each year used the same cams but perhaps I am wrong? Seriously I thought a 98 C5, Camaro, and Firebird would all have the same cams. Perhaps its stamped or something different on the end?

Only thing I knew of cam difference was the 98-00 were different than the 01-02s

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Only thing I knew of cam difference was the 98-00 were different than the 01-02s
    There are a few things. Head casting numbers changed in 01, 01-02 got the LS6 intake, I think the 01/02 years got the 28lb injectors and so did the 98 but the 99 and 2000 got the smaller injectors.

I cant remember.....lol You would think GM would leave well enough alone sometimes.

As far as the body color mirrors, this goes back into the LT1 4th gens as well. It was an option package to get the body color mirrors, and it included a couple of other things that I don't recall off the top of my head.

When we bought our 97 Z new we wanted the body color mirrors, most had black mirrors, but with the right option code body color mirrors could be had, so that's what we bought. I would be willing to bet the same holds true for the 98-00 models, it was as simple as ordering it. That's why you see some with body color and some without.

On the camshafts (I thought everyone knew this) the 97-00 LS1's did get the larger .500 lift camshafts. In 01-02 they used the truck camshaft in the LS1's which was smaller at around .467 lift or so. Duration numbers were also smaller. I'm sure a quick search would turn up the exact numbers for each.

Edit: Did a quick search and found this

97-00 LS1
    202/210 @ .050 duration
    .496/.496 lift on a 116 lsa

01-02 LS1
    197/207 @ .050 duration
    .467/.479 lift on a 116 lsa
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-09-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    As far as the body color mirrors, this goes back into the LT1 4th gens as well. It was an option package to get the body color mirrors, and it included a couple of other things that I don't recall off the top of my head.

When we bought our 97 Z new we wanted the body color mirrors, most had black mirrors, but with the right option code body color mirrors could be had, so that's what we bought. I would be willing to bet the same holds true for the 98-00 models, it was as simple as ordering it. That's why you see some with body color and some without.

On the camshafts (I thought everyone knew this) the 97-00 LS1's did get the larger .500 lift camshafts. In 01-02 they used the truck camshaft in the LS1's which was smaller at around .467 lift or so. Duration numbers were also smaller. I'm sure a quick search would turn up the exact numbers for each.

Edit: Did a quick search and found this

97-00 LS1
    202/210 @ .050 duration
    .496/.496 lift on a 116 lsa

01-02 LS1
    197/207 @ .050 duration
    .467/.479 lift on a 116 lsa
    Ditto on knowing the cam shaft information. What I was saying was at one point in the early LS1 Camaros there was a shortage of cams so they used ones that were held for C5 Corvettes. Not saying it was a different lift/duration/etc...... just saying they were made for the Corvette and not the Camaro. At least that is what I have seen on a FEW web pages.

Let me try and find a source that has that because I have seen if a few times.

So if you ordered a black camaro you were 100% on getting body colored mirrors right?

Ditto on knowing the cam shaft information. What I was saying was at one point in the early LS1 Camaros there was a shortage of cams so they used ones that were held for C5 Corvettes. Not saying it was a different lift/duration/etc...... just saying they were made for the Corvette and not the Camaro. At least that is what I have seen on a FEW web pages.

Let me try and find a source that has that because I have seen if a few times.

So if you ordered a black camaro you were 100% on getting body colored mirrors right?
    Interesting info, all I can find lists the same part # cam for all LS1's whether vette, camaro, or bird.

Haha, ya I guess ordering a black 4th gen is a safe bet on the mirrors.

Ray Charles blue

Differences between the f-body years

Line 25. Even saw it a few other places....lol

Ah I see that, interesting. I wish it went into more detail as to date code break downs and part numbers. I wonder if that information is out there.

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

nice ride.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

have to agree about the tips, they look like steps to reach into the back seat get a new shifter and lose the slp parts and kn filter and she good to go. what kinda dyno#s?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    have to agree about the tips, they look like steps to reach into the back seat get a new shifter and lose the slp parts and kn filter and she good to go. what kinda dyno#s?
    Cut the tips off Sunday afternoon

It's a hurst shifter, had one in my last two LS1/M6 cars, I loved it

SLP parts? The only SLP parts are what came on the car before it was delivered to the dealer...

430-450 expected at the tires. Can't remember if he said it was dyno'd or not, but from what he said, it's all TSP parts. The damn car idles like it's almost stock tho, so I would imagine it's got a dyno tune on it. If not, somebody is pretty precise when it comes to tuning. When I get my pewter car back from the body shop, him and I are taking a 1 hour drive south, to give Mr. Frost a visit and making a day out of it

Still waitin' on a phone a call so he can help my crippled ass with my white car today

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    too bad here in texas the tips have to exit the car....fail.....

trucks can be dumped, cars cant
    i beg to differ. my exhaust ends before my rear axle straight out, so if you were behind me, you'd see (2) 4" dia. black holes...

for inspection, i slide in piping that routes out the side of the car just past the rear wheels and then remove them after passing.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i beg to differ. my exhaust ends before my rear axle straight out, so if you were behind me, you'd see (2) 4" dia. black holes...

for inspection, i slide in piping that routes out the side of the car just past the rear wheels and then remove them after passing.
    I didn't realize Texas had emissions laws too... That sucks!!

Ray Charles blue

I thought in Texas all you needed to have for a vehicle to pass inspection was three things.

1. A gun.
    2. A knife.
    3. At least a 6-pack of beer.

nice find
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

2009 CTS4 Ice Black

2013 1500 Silverado Z71

02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I didn't realize Texas had emissions laws too... That sucks!!
    oh no, they do. it sucks!

I thought in Texas all you needed to have for a vehicle to pass inspection was three things.

1. A gun.
    2. A knife.
    i'll try this approach next year and report back...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Cut the tips off Sunday afternoon

It's a hurst shifter, had one in my last two LS1/M6 cars, I loved it

SLP parts? The only SLP parts are what came on the car before it was delivered to the dealer...
    good #s!

btw i had a factory hurst and they are flat out ghey, also slp parts are ghey even factory installed. cant stand em. just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post

you a naughty fella

1. A gun.
    2. A knife.

dont need a knife lol that usually goes for mexicans. haha not hatin guys!

also slp parts are ghey even factory installed. cant stand em. just my .02

Ya ya, it's always the Z28 guys that say that

btw i had a factory hurst and they are flat out ghey,
    I don't feel that way, and this after having both the aftermarket billet Hurst and a Pro 5.0. Didn't care for either of those, they were pulled and sold.

Stuck the factory Hurst back in, put a short stick on it to get rid of the rubber bushing, and it's the best feeling shifter I've driven in a T56 to date. My wife even likes it.
    That's not to say I like the T56, it's too damn notchy to begin with (typical rail style shifter) and every shifter I had in the car magnified that problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information