Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Brought the '01 SS home, have some questions

This is a discussion on Brought the '01 SS home, have some questions within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft The second picture of the first 3 that you posted, it looks like the rear is ...

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    The second picture of the first 3 that you posted, it looks like the rear is sagging a bit, but on the last one (side shot), it looks level
    Yeah I just noticed that too. I need to check it out in person when I get home from work. A friend also pointed out the the gap between the hatch and the rear quarter panels don't match up evenly. It got me a little worried, but then I thought "this thing has some torque and I imagine it's probably from a little frame twist?" The carfax said it was never wrecked or anything.

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    nice SS! what size tire is that in the rear? looked like it may have been a 315? if so dont throw those springs in just yet cuz you may have some rubbing and will have to bring out the big fu*kin hammer to make room. I had 315s on my old formula and they fit just fine for the most part but then put em on my SS when i first got it and they rubbed just about everywhere. the hips seem to be a lil wider in the firebirds.
    Yeah, they're 315's. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm not sure I can justify pounding the crap out of the wheel well to get the tires to fit. I would imagine the clearance needed is on the inner most part of the well? What about the top part - does it bottom out on the tire or something?

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

Thanks for all the comments, guys. The car is a lot sexier than she looks in the pics. I can't believe how strong she pulls for a stock LS1. I was driving her to the courthouse yesterday to transfer the title and decided to open her up to get past some slow poke - the 'bite' the car has through the tires and clutch is just incredible. This is such a better motor than the LT1 that I had in my 94 Z.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen View Post
    Yeah I just noticed that too. I need to check it out in person when I get home from work. A friend also pointed out the the gap between the hatch and the rear quarter panels don't match up evenly. It got me a little worried, but then I thought "this thing has some torque and I imagine it's probably from a little frame twist?" The carfax said it was never wrecked or anything.
    SFC's should be your next mod. hopefully it hasn't become a pretzel underneath yet some have had luck running 11s (and probably faster) without 'em, and never had a problem, such as my buddy. Others have had 98% stock cars, and twisted 'em (such as myself)

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Yeah, they're 315's. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm not sure I can justify pounding the crap out of the wheel well to get the tires to fit. I would imagine the clearance needed is on the inner most part of the well? What about the top part - does it bottom out on the tire or something?
    top part should be fine but the lip of the quarter pannel will cut into the tire if you dont cut or roll them. I would think that that would be the biggest issue considering they are already on the car and youre not having any other fitment issues.

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    SFC's should be your next mod. hopefully it hasn't become a pretzel underneath yet some have had luck running 11s (and probably faster) without 'em, and never had a problem, such as my buddy. Others have had 98% stock cars, and twisted 'em (such as myself)
    Is it all that "bad" if the frame twists a little?

The seller is shipping me his SFC that he never installed. Weld on type SFC. Know where I can read a write up on how to install the weld on type SFC?

I doubt its a pretzel underneath ... yet .... I'm hoping lol. Car only has 40k miles and was driven only 2k miles per summer for last 7 years. The motor has a ridiculous amount of power for being stock, and so much bite with those 315's on the rear. I guess this could have tweaked my frame just a tad.

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    top part should be fine but the lip of the quarter pannel will cut into the tire if you dont cut or roll them. I would think that that would be the biggest issue considering they are already on the car and youre not having any other fitment issues.

Ahhh yes, I remember that now. I've seen some write up's on people rolling the lip of the rear quarter panel in so it doesnt grab the tire. I worry about the inner most part of the well, it just seems so tight back there, especially if I were to drop it an inch. Need to find me a write up on how to drop the car, shocks needed, other misc parts, etc.

Black
    1998 Z-28

The seller is shipping me his SFC that he never installed. Weld on type SFC. Know where I can read a write up on how to install the weld on type SFC?

I doubt its a pretzel underneath ... yet .... I'm hoping lol. Car only has 40k miles and was driven only 2k miles per summer for last 7 years. The motor has a ridiculous amount of power for being stock, and so much bite with those 315's on the rear. I guess this could have tweaked my frame just a tad.
    I was just looking around on here and found that, Ed Blown Vert, posted a link about the SFC. Hope this helps and works.Adding Subframe Connectors - Full Framed F-Body -

Black
    1998 Z-28

I don't know that it will hurt the performance, but it will mess up your body lines. Like haveing to slam your doors and hatch, to get them to close. And I have seen where the edge of the door rubs the paint off from the body of the car. So if you want to keep it looking sharp I would recommend the SFC.
    Last edited by konigandy6; 05-06-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: fixed quote

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

Z-Man - thanks for the link. I dont seem to have any issues other than my rear hatch not lining up perfectly. Its not bad, but it sure is close to scraping paint on the passenger side. I think I will attempt to adjust this to ensure it will not scrape in the future.

The previous owner just shipped my SFC so I will be doing this mod pretty soon. My dad has a welder that I can use.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

nice car. I have an 02 nbm ss with the cme. You just need to take some steel wool to that cme and polish it up.

RED
    2002/Z28

Thats a nice looking car. SFC's was my first mod to my 02 Z28 with about 38K miles..

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

beautiful, congrats

That is a beautiful car!!!! I love the CME option as well. Any interior shots yet?

Black
    98 Z28

Beautiful car, congrats

White
    99 Camaro Z28

damn nice car i want a ls1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information