brakes

This is a discussion on brakes within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; need new rotors which is better drilled, slotted, or both? also which brand for bang buck...

Black

brakes

need new rotors which is better drilled, slotted, or both? also which brand for bang buck

Pewter
    99 z28

good question... my front rotors are gettin there I got new pads then realized i need rotors too.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

There are many arguments on this, i have slotted and am happy with them
    Have heard of drilled rotors cracking. Could just stick with blanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Drilled takes away mass (takes away ability to absorb heat), less pad surface area
    Good blanks and pads.

2011 Prius

On the race spec Miata I drive from time to time, it has slotted and so does most of the other Miata drivers. Seems to cool fast, I like them. I don't know anything about drilled, but rarely see them.

black
    2000 ss

Before saying anything I'd better say first I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination!!!

thing with drilling is if you get a cheap set then you're asking for trouble at some stage down the line - and probably when you REALLY need the things to work!!

There's a reason companies like Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc use (EXPENSIVE!) drilled and that is that it does stop excessive heat build-up/helps disapate gas build-up which aids better braking - but then again they're now moving over to ceramic which are heart-stoppingly expensive

There is a company called EBC which does slotted and dimpled rotors which get's around some of the reliability issues and still look cool Another thing to note is that drilled/dimpled and slotted brakes will produce more noise than a set of standard brakes and it may be adviseable to get harder pads at the same time

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Before saying anything I'd better say first I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination!!!

thing with drilling is if you get a cheap set then you're asking for trouble at some stage down the line - and probably when you REALLY need the things to work!!

There's a reason companies like Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc use (EXPENSIVE!) drilled and that is that it does stop excessive heat build-up/helps disapate gas build-up which aids better braking - but then again they're now moving over to ceramic which are heart-stoppingly expensive

There is a company called EBC which does slotted and dimpled rotors which get's around some of the reliability issues and still look cool Another thing to note is that drilled/dimpled and slotted brakes will produce more noise than a set of standard brakes and it may be adviseable to get harder pads at the same time

as a fyi. a lot of higher end companies run drilled for cosmetic reasons. a lot of their customers still associate drilled rotors with high performance.

98' trans am

with the technology of brake pads today and of air flow/venting design of rotors today there is not a real need to go drilled other than cosmetics. i personally would go with slotted rotors and some nice pads..if you are down with spending some money...look into stoptech's rotors and such great investment

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Drilled takes away mass (takes away ability to absorb heat), less pad surface area
    Good blanks and pads.
    ^ correct. however for most street apps ..there is sufficient time in between braking to dissipate the heat enough to not hurt functionality.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ^ correct. however for most street apps ..there is sufficient time in between braking to dissipate the heat enough to not hurt functionality.
    Yep they just look cool, not like most people take there car on a road course to find out the hard way. And then there is the issue of caliper spreading.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

I did notice a considerable difference on my truck that I trailered my boat with. I had slotted rotors and they lasted much longer than standard ones.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I was stationed in Germany for a number of years and observed a lot of American made cars went through brakes and front rotors like crazy. The issue seemed to be how you drive on the Autobahn. They are very serious about staying out of the passing lane except to pass. This results in driving at speeds of 80-110 mph in the right lane then you frequently have to pop out into the fast lane to pass a truck that is doing about 66 mph then get out of the passing lane before getting rear ended and brake hard as you come up on the next truck doing 66.

The standard brakes on American cars just couldn't handle the stress. I replaced the front rotors on my 1971 LeMans with slotted and was very happy with the results. I also talked several friends who were replacing their front rotors due to warping and excessive wear to go with slotted ones and it clearly helped with cooling the brakes, lasting longer, and also seemed to help with braking in the rain as well.

You probably won't deal with that as much on US roads unless you drive like a maniac but when you are running 100+ then quickly braking down to 66 MPH over and over slotted rotors seemed to help.

Thread Information