Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Brake Rotors

This is a discussion on Brake Rotors within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Has anyone seen or heard of drilling the stock rotors on your car? I know they can be drilled, but ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    379

    Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Brake Rotors

    Has anyone seen or heard of drilling the stock rotors on your car? I know they can be drilled, but im worried about safety and strength. If anyone has done this or knows anyone who has please let me know.

  2. #2
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    I wouldn't advise it. If you want drilled rotors, just buy some, they really aren't that expensive.

  3. #3
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    I agree with y2k i would thingk that drilling the stock ones would eventually lead to some for of failure.because u are messing with the structural integrity of them

  4. #4
    None Shall Pass Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,828

    Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

    Not a good idea. Will just cause problems in the end.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

    Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

  5. #5
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Drilled and slotted rotors are overrated in my opinion to begin with. Unless you are doing some extreme auto-crossing or some other form of racing where you are constantly accelerating and braking hard or braking while maneuvering, they are more for show than performance.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    379

    Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

    http://www.brakewarehouse.com/rotor_...g_slotting.asp

    This is why i ask there are some doing it

  7. #7
    Junior Member jacosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    16

    White
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    There are certain things out there worth modifying and there certainly other you just DON'T do; ie; brakes. Whether they're drilled, slotted, both or none of the above; they're engineered with specific physical properties to minimize fatigue and failure so that they remain reliable enough to do their job and give you that stopping power that could potentially save your life. I agree with the others and that if you to go with slotted or drilled or whatever, BUY them already made that way.

  8. #8
    Member gjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    347

    Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Drilled and slotted rotors are overrated in my opinion to begin with. Unless you are doing some extreme auto-crossing or some other form of racing where you are constantly accelerating and braking hard or braking while maneuvering, they are more for show than performance.
    Disagree with you on slotted. Have them on my DD (2000 Cadillac STS) and on my SS and am very happy with their performance. I warped the stock disks on my STS ~10k miles and ~4k miles on the SS; replaced with slotted and have ~60k and on the second set of pads without a problem on the DD. They're a little louder, but very efficient and perform better.

    I'm with you on drilled. Just asking for trouble IMHO.

    G

  9. #9
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I will be replacing my stock rotors with Brembo blanks.
    I have no use for slotted or drilled.

  10. #10
    Four Seat Vette 10spokess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    pasadena md
    Posts
    2,034
    Blog Entries
    2

    Black
    2002 SS Camaro

    Ever since i bought the slotted and drilled brembo brakes and pads and rotors it seems like if im going over 70 and i apply the breaks a loud deceleration noise is occuring could that be because the slots and the drilled holes???

  11. #11
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    Ever since i bought the slotted and drilled brembo brakes and pads and rotors it seems like if im going over 70 and i apply the breaks a loud deceleration noise is occuring could that be because the slots and the drilled holes???
    From the people I know with them, and from what I've read, they are much noisier than blanks.

  12. #12
    Four Seat Vette 10spokess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    pasadena md
    Posts
    2,034
    Blog Entries
    2

    Black
    2002 SS Camaro

    ok shwew lol

  13. #13
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Drilled and slotted rotors are overrated in my opinion to begin with. Unless you are doing some extreme auto-crossing or some other form of racing where you are constantly accelerating and braking hard or braking while maneuvering, they are more for show than performance.
    Disagree......I've had the same experiences as this poster below, as well as others.

    Quote Originally Posted by gjb View Post
    Disagree with you on slotted. Have them on my DD (2000 Cadillac STS) and on my SS and am very happy with their performance. I warped the stock disks on my STS ~10k miles and ~4k miles on the SS; replaced with slotted and have ~60k and on the second set of pads without a problem on the DD. They're a little louder, but very efficient and perform better.
    G

    I've had the same experience with the stock brakes. Just normal street driving, very easy on the brakes, use the engine most of the time to slow the car. Yet I couldn't get more than a couple thousand miles out of a set of stock rotors. They would warp in no time.
    After warranty replaced them "TWICE" on 2 seperate occasions (twice under warranty at GM and twice from a parts store) the last set didn't go 50 miles down the road before pulsation set in.
    I finally gave up and went the drilled and slotted route and I couldn't be happier. Now with close to 10,000 miles of driving they are still perfect. Yes they are a bit noisier. I'll take that any day over replacing the stockers every other week.
    Liked them so much I bought a complete set for our other 4th gen too, which seemed to have the same issues though not as bad.

  14. #14
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I have 16K miles on my OEM brake rotors and OEM pads with ZERO issues and I drive pretty aggressive; lots of stop and go traffic and quick acceleration and stopping from higher speeds.

    I also experienced ZERO noise.

  15. #15
    Member gjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    347

    Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have 16K miles on my OEM brake rotors and OEM pads with ZERO issues and I drive pretty aggressive; lots of stop and go traffic and quick acceleration and stopping from higher speeds.

    I also experienced ZERO noise.
    Mine warped during a gradual slow down from ~130-75 ONCE - we zipping through silver strand on a clear stretch and had a little fun.

    Mind you that I don't beat the hell out of my cars, but I do drive them. Yes it was extreme, but the OEM rotors just didn't cut it so out they went.

    G

  16. #16
    Member gjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    347

    Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

    Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    Ever since i bought the slotted and drilled brembo brakes and pads and rotors it seems like if im going over 70 and i apply the breaks a loud deceleration noise is occuring could that be because the slots and the drilled holes???
    Yep, they are louder. The slots are wiping the disks clean for every slot. I don't mind the noise - it means they're working.

  17. #17
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have 16K miles on my OEM brake rotors and OEM pads with ZERO issues and I drive pretty aggressive; lots of stop and go traffic and quick acceleration and stopping from higher speeds.

    I also experienced ZERO noise.
    You are going to be one of the very few. You'll find most with this problem, it was well known at GM as they warrantied a ton of them.

    What might make a difference in some applications, is whether you are actually running the OEM Ceramic pads that GM used. They are made to heat quickly for better stopping power when cold,,,,,so people didn't have to wait for their brakes to work at their full abilities. You know how new car buyers are,,,lol.
    The issue with that is,,,well,,,,more heat. And it warps the rotors.

    If people are willing to switch to semi metallics,,,they build heat more slowly, and actually need to be warm for best stopping power. Easier on rotors as far as warpage is concerned, but the material tends to eat the rotors instead of warping them. Not to mention more brake dust.
    It's kinda like, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    I personally like to stick to the ceramic pads, less brake dust, they work when cold immediately, etc....but to make them work on both of my 4th gens I needed a better rotor that dissipated the heat more efficiently to keep them from warping,,,,the drilled and slotted do just that. They are a necessity as far as I'm concerned if you want to run the ceramic pads.

  18. #18
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Thanks for the info.

  19. #19
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You are going to be one of the very few. You'll find most with this problem, it was well known at GM as they warrantied a ton of them.

    What might make a difference in some applications, is whether you are actually running the OEM Ceramic pads that GM used. They are made to heat quickly for better stopping power when cold,,,,,so people didn't have to wait for their brakes to work at their full abilities. You know how new car buyers are,,,lol.
    The issue with that is,,,well,,,,more heat. And it warps the rotors.

    If people are willing to switch to semi metallics,,,they build heat more slowly, and actually need to be warm for best stopping power. Easier on rotors as far as warpage is concerned, but the material tends to eat the rotors instead of warping them. Not to mention more brake dust.
    It's kinda like, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

    I personally like to stick to the ceramic pads, less brake dust, they work when cold immediately, etc....but to make them work on both of my 4th gens I needed a better rotor that dissipated the heat more efficiently to keep them from warping,,,,the drilled and slotted do just that. They are a necessity as far as I'm concerned if you want to run the ceramic pads.
    good info man thanks for that

  20. #20
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    I've warped my share of brake rotors. On my 96 the dealer replaced them 3 times in the 1st 10K miles.

    On the 02 I had to replace rotors at 35K (I bought the car in 05 with 29K on it - traded the 96 and $$$). And again at 42K. This last time they didn't warp but the ceramic pads glazed and failed to stop the car properly (in the 1/4) after 5K miles which turned the rotors blue (they will need turned but are close to end of life thickness wise).

    This time I went with new brake rotors (my buddy gave me a liftime warranty - I think they are from NAPA) and B4C pads stop my car from over 100mph at the track with no issues so far (*fingers crossed*).

    Note: This on the 02 only. I beat on it like it owed me $$$. The 98 is stock with no problems.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 02-04-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Corvette Brake Rotors - Give Me A Brake
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
  2. ? on brake rotors
    By qwik219d9 in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 03:57 PM
  3. Brake Rotors????
    By bobbert350 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 05:44 AM
  4. Brake rotors
    By CandyRedZ28 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 04:22 PM
  5. Brake Rotors
    By jbmcmillan in forum General Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •