Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Black box in the F-body

I was just reading the difference between the years of f body thread and noticed the black box thing. About six months ago, my wife was driving her 2000 v6 camaro and was hit by a mack truck. She had a green light going through an intersection and the mac truck was going the opposite way making a left. He says he had a green arrow but I don't think so. My wife is fine, just rattled a bit but doesn't remember anything about the accident. Some of the witness statements are inconclusive and one person said she was speeding. She had just started from a red light about an 1/8 mile away from the intersection and she was going uphill so I don't think she could have been going too fast. Did the v6 models have the 'black box/recorder' and is it the ECU? If so where can I get it read, *if* it's still in the junk yard. This may be the supporting evidence I need to sue the shit out of this trucking company and get the first gen camaro I've always wanted. After she gets what she wants of course. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by socmninja; 01-24-2007 at 12:01 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I don't know if they had one but, that sucks. Did she get knocked out. Hope shes allright.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

OH SHIT I DIDN"T KNOW WE HAD THAT... HELL YA my car got in a front end accident... i had to pay 1000 bucks... where do i get the info on that??

Found this on retreiving data - doesn't list the cost though: www.airbagcrash.com/ourservicesandlinks.html

Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

And it only records a limited time ..oike the last 10min or somthing

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i don't think it's even that long. from wht i have seen reports on, its a few seconds (min tops) before impact...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Found this on retreiving data - doesn't list the cost though: www.airbagcrash.com/ourservicesandlinks.html
    I bet its worth every penny.

most cars before 04 or so cars have only frontal crash sensors. it sucks if your cars is hit from side or back... no data there unless the airbags delpoy for some reason

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Hmm, so is all the info stored in the ECM? Can I get it from the junk yard and take it to a dealer to get read? My wife was hit on the driver's side and was knocked unconcious, no airbag deployed. The driver's seat was in the center of the car. When my wife went to the salvage yard a few days later to get her stuff out of the car the guys that worked there were all 'I'm sorry for your loss'. They thought someone was killed in the car and when she told them that she was driving they were blown away. She just had some bruises and a concussion. The bottom sticky thread titled "differences in f body years" says the box stores info from five seconds before the accident. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    socmninja:
    go through this site above... they even tell you what data can be retrieved on general basis.
    and sample data link off of there...
    http://www.airbagcrash.com/samplecrashdata.html

It's not in the PCM, it's in the module inside the console - see the pic in the link, ours looks almost the same. Dealer can't read it according to the link. They also state the module belongs to the current owner of the car. Call or email them, I'm sure they'll be glad to answer your questions.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Wow. Sometimes its better that you don't remember even though it may benifit liability. I'm glad I don't remember my accident, it makes it easier to get back in the car.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Okay, sent them an email asking if data was recorded and can still be retrieved even though the airbags did not deploy. Will repost when I get the reply

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Alright, just got the answer back. They said I could send it to them and data will be read the same day they get it and overnighted back that night. The fee is $200 if there is any info on it and all you pay if there is none is the shipping fee when they return it to you. My only problem now is getting it out of the junk yard if the car is still there. I'll keep everyone posted, this'll clear up quite a bit of BS that's been going on.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by socmninja View Post
    Alright, just got the answer back. They said I could send it to them and data will be read the same day they get it and overnighted back that night. The fee is $200 if there is any info on it and all you pay if there is none is the shipping fee when they return it to you. My only problem now is getting it out of the junk yard if the car is still there. I'll keep everyone posted, this'll clear up quite a bit of BS that's been going on.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

You should fefinnitly be able to track the car down without a doubt.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by socmninja View Post
    Hmm, so is all the info stored in the ECM? Can I get it from the junk yard and take it to a dealer to get read? My wife was hit on the driver's side and was knocked unconcious, no airbag deployed. The driver's seat was in the center of the car. When my wife went to the salvage yard a few days later to get her stuff out of the car the guys that worked there were all 'I'm sorry for your loss'. They thought someone was killed in the car and when she told them that she was driving they were blown away. She just had some bruises and a concussion. The bottom sticky thread titled "differences in f body years" says the box stores info from five seconds before the accident. Does anyone have anymore info on this?
    Hey, I work at a GMC dealership. I wouldn't know how to retrieve the info. But it's either in the Body Control Module(BCM), or in the Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module(SDM). The BCM is under the right side of the Instrument Panel, near the blower motor,and the SDM is on the floor tunnel, below the rear of the console.
    Last edited by jigger1166; 01-26-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: More info.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

i wonder why the airbag didn't deploy? that might be a faulty unit on gm's part. perhaps you could sue on that?

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    i wonder why the airbag didn't deploy? that might be a faulty unit on gm's part. perhaps you could sue on that?
    The air bag didn't deploy, because she was hit on the driver's side. They ony deploy in head-on collisions. The air bag wouldn't have helped her in a side impact accident.

Thread Information