Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best Gas?

This is a discussion on Best Gas? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i use southern state gas (91) it doesn't have ethenol.....

2002 trans am ws6

i use southern state gas (91) it doesn't have ethenol..

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

That's the other thing that I'm not sure whether to be pissed off about: all this "10% ethanol" business... seems like they're just watering down the gas to charge less per gallon, but since the engine drinks it up faster, you make more trips to fill up... Or not... I don't know... and it bugs me.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    That's the other thing that I'm not sure whether to be pissed off about: all this "10% ethanol" business... seems like they're just watering down the gas to charge less per gallon, but since the engine drinks it up faster, you make more trips to fill up... Or not... I don't know... and it bugs me.
    It bugs everyone who likes good, quality gas. I know it pisses off tuners aswell.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Okay, so, with a little more than 1/8 of a tank left of that crappy gas, I went to Chevron this morning and filled up. I drove 110 miles on just shy of 1/4 tank of gas (it'll probably hit a quarter tank in another 6 or 7 miles).

I'm going to do a couple more fill ups with Chevron and see if the results are consistent. If so, that'll be the gas I use from now on (even though it has that ethanol crap in it... no-where around here has ethanol-free gas).

White
    1998 Trans Am

I use exxon,chexron, and shell and it's consistent in my TA LS1 and 93 5.0

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I use exxon,chexron, and shell and it's consistent in my TA LS1 and 93 5.0
    Agree, this is also true for us 3800 guys too. I have'nt experimented with chevron yet though. But it's 93 for me every time I fill.. I would'nt recommend anything else for anyone running a 24v DTC either..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-29-2010 at 04:17 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I'm on the West Coast and I try to use Chevron / Texaco as I have had issues with some of the other brands and I don't care to use that ethanol crap.At least out here the pump does not say it has ethanol.See my post in the GTO section regarding my mileage tests in my 92 Camaro.The thread is "Been Testing"

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Okay, I'm down to 1/4 tank on the Chevron gass. I'm sitting at 270 miles since fill up. On my previous tank, I had to fill up after only 246 miles (used 7/8 of a tank). My first fill up got me to 255 miles on 3/4 tank. I'll update the original post to include my findings.

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

It seems like you guys are talking city mpg. I just brought home my '01 SS yesterday, in the rain , and got 26 mpg. 335 miles @ 13.3 gallons. This car only has 40k miles on it and just came out of storage. I hope to see improvements. The previous owner said he get approx 200 miles per tank (I think he has a heavy foot).

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

When the 99 Z28 was my daily driver I was getting 26 combined and believe me I was on that car a lot. But being an auto....I was not staying in any gear that long.The 92 Camaro referred to in the post above is auto as well.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Most of my driving is highway. My daily commute takes me about 16 miles on the freeway, and only about 3 miles of my commute is city. I do open up the throttle a little less often then once a day just for fun.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

BP, which is Amoco 93 octane.

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

i get like 230 out of a full tank. kum and go gas

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

On my 4th tank, I'm a quarter down, and I got 99 miles with the chevron. This is interesting because I've done much more city driving the last couple of days than normal. I was expecting only about 65 miles out of that first quarter.

One thing I have been doing, though, is the skip shift. Even though my car has it deleted or a workaround or whatever... I just go right from 1st to 4th when I start. I'm guessing that's saving me a little bit of gas.

IBM
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    BP, which is Amoco 93 octane.
    I agree Amoco Ultimate- white - It's clear as water,

Black

chevron with techron on 91

RED
    2002/Z28

I have never filled my car up but I can use any type of 92/93 octane and I get 21.5-23 mpg in the city. Thats 365.5-391 mpg on a full tank in the city.. Oh by the way I have stock 273 gears..

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So you're rolling on an auto? I think the M6 has what? 3.42? For me that puts me between 1300 and 1800 rpm for almost all of my driving. I very rarely find myself above 2000 rpm. I figure I can't do much better for fuel economy as far at that's concerned... only way to improve it is to manage how much accelerating I do... try to keep it in high gear as much as possible...

06 coupe

In Orlando I try and stay with Chevron or Mobile

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I reached 1/2 tank on this most recent fill up and it was right at 175 miles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information