Best First Mods to make for HP gains?

This is a discussion on Best First Mods to make for HP gains? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I just got my z a month ago and just recently put a magnaflow on it. I was wondering some ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Best First Mods to make for HP gains?

I just got my z a month ago and just recently put a magnaflow on it. I was wondering some good first mods to make for HP gains?

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

lid$100 or so, Long-Tube Headers w/ORY(off road y pipe) and you'll definely feel a difference out of those few things

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye221 View Post
    I just got my z a month ago and just recently put a magnaflow on it. I was wondering some good first mods to make for HP gains?
    Are you looking for hp gains or 1/4 mile gains. For cheap hp gains, LT headers like said by other poster, Lid or simular thing.. Those are the 2 that will give you the most hp right away. LS6 modified intake, ported tb, and then cam or heads etc.. but then price starts to rise putting them on.
    For 1/4 mile times...a stall converter.. 3000-3400 stall + tranny cooler and shift kit and you should knock over a 1/2 second off your 1/4 mile times with the stall alone.
    Other than those, tuning, n20, turbo, etc..All depends on what you want out of the car and how much your willing to spend.
    Don't waste money on smooth bellows..many do it, but doesn't give you a hp gain.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

i say start opening it up to let it breath....that help alot...if you look at my mods you can see that is the route i am going.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

if you're interested in some good/cheap air mods check out my cardomain site. i'd recommed a lid, ported tb, and the ssra. after that you'll have plenty of air coming in but need to help it get out, so get some lt's. i'd recommend the stainless steel lt's on ebay from discountzoomparts. i bought those and will be installing them later this summer.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    if you're interested in some good/cheap air mods check out my cardomain site. i'd recommed a lid, ported tb, and the ssra. after that you'll have plenty of air coming in but need to help it get out, so get some lt's. i'd recommend the stainless steel lt's on ebay from discountzoomparts. i bought those and will be installing them later this summer.
    How long did it take to remove and reinstall that lid? and what kind of filter did you use?

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

How long did it take to remove and reinstall that lid? and what kind of filter did you use?
    About 5 to 15 minutes I would also get the lid from slp. k&n filter

2002 Z28

Any brand lid works and price doesn't really matter, all are about the same hp gains and quality. I went with a K&N Fipk kit because I thought it looked different and kinda cool. Plus it cleaned up the engine bay, since it replaced the radiator cover all intake pieces and bellows to match. There is the volant intake too..both the K&N and volant cost more($300 shipped) and gains are the same as a lid, but they look a little better I think. Installing the Lid you need to remove all the plastic intake pieces and then put the Lid on, takes about 30 minutes the first time to get it all off and add the Lid, then it takes about 5 minutes each time you clean the filter...unless you go with a reg filter..again, they has never been much of a gain shown going to a K&N type filter. They do come pre oiled and when you finally need to clean them, do not over oil them or it will coat your MAF and your car will run like crap.

here is my FIPK setup
    Last edited by rotwiler; 07-05-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    Any brand lid works and price doesn't really matter, all are about the same hp gains and quality. I went with a K&N Fipk kit because I thought it looked different and kinda cool. Plus it cleaned up the engine bay, since it replaced the radiator cover all intake pieces and bellows to match. There is the volant intake too..both the K&N and volant cost more($300 shipped) and gains are the same as a lid, but they look a little better I think. Installing the Lid you need to remove all the plastic intake pieces and then put the Lid on, takes about 30 minutes the first time to get it all off and add the Lid, then it takes about 5 minutes each time you clean the filter...unless you go with a reg filter..again, they has never been much of a gain shown going to a K&N type filter. They do come pre oiled and when you finally need to clean them, do not over oil them or it will coat your MAF and your car will run like crap.
    Click for full size
    here is my FIPK setup
    Yeah that does look cool. I noticed that type when I was looking around. I think I'm gonna start out with the SLP lid and K&N filter, mostly because its cheaper.

2002 Z28

Yeah that does look cool. I noticed that type when I was looking around. I think I'm gonna start out with the SLP lid and K&N filter, mostly because its cheaper.
    I started with a whisper lid and K&N filter, then added a stupid SLP smooth bellows and the bellows put so much pressure on the neck of the lid it started to crack. So I just decided to get the FIPK. K&N really stands behind the products they sell... about a year into having the FIPK, the carbon fiber started to get a little crack on the neck of the filter. So I emailed them some pictures and a week later had a brand new $90 filter. No receipt needed, so I was very pleased with the customer service. If I ever get around to getting a ram air type hood I may go with a Volant, since it seals to the hood. But I have been very happy with the FIPK so far. Alot of people go with the Lids and works just as well, but my thoughts are, if your getting a lid, k&n filter, smooth bellows..add them up with shipping just for lid and filter is about $160-170 and if you get a bellows that many get for looks, thats another $50 or so shipped, you end up close to the price of the fipk.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 07-08-2007 at 09:08 PM.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

i paid 92 and some change for my slp lid with free shipping on ebay. fifty something for my k&n from auto zone. didnt even bother with the smooth bellow. since it does nothing and alot of people have issues with them.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

about 30 minutes (but it was my first mod ever, now i could do it in about 10). and i'm using the stock paper fram filter. k&n isnt worth it imo.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Z28 1SC

Don't overlook gears - 3:73 or 4:11

white
    98 SS

dont forget the free mods - if memory served correctly they are worth 10hp according to gmhtp

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Free mods are cool!
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I like that K@N you have there Anthracis. Looks good. I went with the MTI clear lid and a K@N filter. I like how you can see through it but it cost about $130 LOL worth the xtra 20 bucks IMO cause I dont plan on a whiole lot of mods just LT headers(pacesetter)@ Y pipe,SLP LM catback(which I just put on),deep tranny pan- Derale(have that too) and now since my a4 took a dump on me a stage 2 performabuilt tranny and vigilante 3400 stall. O forgot slp smooth bellows if that even counts-wait do plug wires count? lol if so then MSD 8.5 and ngk plugs and..................................LOL

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I just got mine and I am in the same boat with what to do first. I wanna do the slp cold pac, just cause i can pick it up at summit. I will prob leave the smooth bellows off from what i hear about it. I also want to do a shifter like 20 minutes ago, I hate the factory shifter. That doesn't do much for hp though.....corsa will be next summer for sure.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    Click for full size
    here is my FIPK setup
    What's that little breather looking filter thing next to the oil dip stick? and does it work?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    What's that little breather looking filter thing next to the oil dip stick? and does it work?
    Thats his oil fill cap.

Thread Information