Thread: Bad cat

White
    2002 B4C

Bad cat

I just popped an SES light. Passenger side cat is bad. I just went by the dealer and they cleared the code. They banged on the passenger side cat and now stuff is rattling around inside it like there is something wrong with the engine. It is the most hidious sound until you get about 1500-2000 rpms. The good news is that it is apparently covered under a warranty that gm extended for 12 years or 120,000 miles. They will be ordering me a new passenger side cat today and taking care of me for free. The only thing that baffles me is that they are only replacing the one on the passenger side. What's up with that? Wouldn't the one on the driver's side be on it's last leg too?

Trentster

2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

No, I heard they are only replacing the cat if it throws a code and is truly bad. My car smells funny after running for a while but no codes yet so no free replacement.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i lucked out and found a guy who deleted mine for $30 and gutted them so ill never have that prob again.the sensors were $86 a piece..

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Trentster 5172 View Post
    The only thing that baffles me is that they are only replacing the one on the passenger side. What's up with that? Wouldn't the one on the driver's side be on it's last leg too?

Trentster
    GM are cheap and hope your other one will fail after warranty expires. They are pulling this crap on my duramax injectors, which are failing everywhere. I had 4 to fail and know the other ones will in a short time, even the GM mechanic said so, but I have only 10k warranty left and they are waiting it out and will not replace anything unless proven not working. Just labor to get to them is $800 bucks because of their design. I guess the DA whom is over the warranty would rather risk another $800 for labor hoping it will not happen under warranty instead of a few hundred to fix it right now and GM wonder's why their profits and sales are low, piss poor management and customer service.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Before I replaced my entire exhaust system, my car tripped the same code. It was at that time that I received the notice in the mail regarding the faulty cats, and GM's extention of the warranty. Now it had been some time since I'd been down to a Chevy dealer for warranty work, but expected a pleasent experiance due to my handy little recall notice. What a mistake!
    I was put through the ringer! Threats of exhorbenant charges, demands to have the car serviced now, the idiot looked at it and said.."Oh, that's a SS, does it have a V8, or a V6 in it?" I asked the same questions about why they wouldn't just replace both cats, if one tripped a code, the other must be ready to go too, or be hindering performance in my [V6] lol He said "We don't just give stuff away around here you know" I promply said "Never mind, I was looking for a reason to go with a performance exhaust, and you just gave it to me"
    Their own service writer didn't even know that the SS comes with a V8?! Very sad indeed.

White
    2002 B4C

I have seriously considered just removing the cats and going with an off-road pipe, Y-pipe, and a cat-back. What would I need? A set of O2 sims after where the cats were? How much are those? What brand? Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it?

Trentster

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Trentster 5172 View Post
    I have seriously considered just removing the cats and going with an off-road pipe, Y-pipe, and a cat-back. What would I need? A set of O2 sims after where the cats were? How much are those? What brand? Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it?

Trentster
    I bought my Camaro without Cats... don't have SIMS on them... car works fine... (I don't see the SES light because it's just not there... someone fcked with the pannel)... anyways... I'm in no hurry to get the SIMS cause those rear 02's don't do ANYTHING but tell you that the Cats are out of order... so... if you don't have cats... you could just go and have the sensors deleted in a TUNE... and that will turn off the light...

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

What Do The Bad Cats Sound Like?
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

im not sure what they sound like
    but they will glow red hot and make the piping close to them glow red hot also if they are bad.
    or else they will just be plugged and not allow the car to run, or just run shitty.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

White
    2002 B4C

Mine sounded like a loud engine knock and caused the ses light to come on.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

like clicking sounds?

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Mine made no different sound whatsoever, jusr tripped the SES light. No performance loss either.

White
    2002 B4C

Yep- the guts had broken loose and were rattling around. Everytime a piston fired it would throw the guts of the cat around. It sounded like metal on metal. Fixed now-quiet as can be.

Trentster

Thread Information