Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Be Aware, thieves find new way to break into cars

This is a discussion on Be Aware, thieves find new way to break into cars within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by RedVertTA Interesting, but isn't it a little much? It's sad that people would have to live in ...

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Interesting, but isn't it a little much?

It's sad that people would have to live in fear that they'd have to go to those lengths.
    Is what a little much??? Running it through the glove box you mean???

I don't know on a 4th gen as I said I like the stock head unit, does everything I want.

But on a classic muscle car it's well worth the effort. You keep from hacking up the dash since none of this aftermarket crap bolts right in, even hard to find a radio with regular knobs anymore. And with the glove box door closed you have that stock look with factory radio and all, keeps the values up. The aftermarket stuff in the glove box can easily be removed if you ever have to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    I also don't agree with leaving stuff out of my car that I enjoy because some asshole thinks he can take it!

Then that is the risk you have to take.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is what a little much??? Running it through the glove box you mean???

I don't know on a 4th gen as I said I like the stock head unit, does everything I want.

But on a classic muscle car it's well worth the effort. You keep from hacking up the dash since none of this aftermarket crap bolts right in, even hard to find a radio with regular knobs anymore. And with the glove box door closed you have that stock look with factory radio and all, keeps the values up. The aftermarket stuff in the glove box can easily be removed if you ever have to sell.
    No on a classic muscle car I agree with you, put on a 4th gen?

And if you have navi its impossible through the glovebox.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Then that is the risk you have to take.
    Dont get me wrong..I realize that theft is a reality and that you need to be conscious of that and use your head. Not saying I ignore it and do what I want, just saying there are clever ways to be careful AND have most of the things you want. To OP, I'm not a fan of in dash aftermarket nav and/or screen simply cause they are way too attractive and easy to take for thieves... mp3 players, amps, speakers, etc however can be enjoyed hassle free with a little thought and extra effort during install..

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I can see a radio in the dash being fine, just take the face plate off if it has that feature. Most times with the face off you can't tell what kind of radio it is or how much it cost. Not sure if you can do that on a motorized flip out though. The speakers that show through the hatch glass is so asking for a theft. Whenever I see that I am just in shock they are still there. The sub that fits in the small hole on the drivers side behind the tail light is kind of cool. It would be hidden and never seen...

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    I can see a radio in the dash being fine, just take the face plate off if it has that feature. Most times with the face off you can't tell what kind of radio it is or how much it cost. Not sure if you can do that on a motorized flip out though. The speakers that show through the hatch glass is so asking for a theft. Whenever I see that I am just in shock they are still there. The sub that fits in the small hole on the drivers side behind the tail light is kind of cool. It would be hidden and never seen...
    Flip up navi headunits do have that feature, I have one.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'm really not sure how this is possible. If they have an aftermarket alarm...possibly?

All i know is that I know how these work. I use to think it was possible but it shouldn't be anymore.

Basically your hand held device sends out (RF) or a frequency to your car to open the doors. The receiver knows what the next frequency will be. It's random everytime though. The transmitter and receiver use the same random code generator. Say you transmit out an 800.285 mhz frequency...the receiver accepts it and you go inside. The next time, the receiver will accept only 800.357mhz. Since they are in sync, only the transmitter of the keyless entry should know the code. So I really just don't see how this is possible.

If you push the button out of range. The transmitter and receiver are still sync. The receiver will accept up to 256 unique codes and only those codes.

Maybe the codes are very similar and the guys picking up the frequencies can guess these codes...that is the only way I see this being possible.

If this is confusing i can try to explain it again. Garage doors should be the same way.
    I would think any alarm 8 years or newer would have this. Old ones didnt have this feature. Also the older garage door openers had one code to them. usually they had switches where you can set the code yourself. Those would be the only ways they could get in.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

hmm..that makes since maybe i should have not went with a cheap AUTOPAGE alarm system..ya get what ya pay for tho..and as far as the thieves i as well am not gunna let some ass hole make me not have nice stuff..im persistant not stubborn and i will find a way to double secure and double f him over the next time it happens..i just like having nice things and take alot of pride in my own installations and think its bull when someone thinks they can have what i have created.ya know?? insurance will drop me if it happens again so idk.. and as far as the side of town its in north san antonio one of the nicest sides of town so that just proves that crime has no area code!!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I consider myself lucky I guess. I have my car registered at my parents house and it's never there. So if a mechanic did give someone my VIN...they'd show up and never find my car..so I guess that's a good thing

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

same here but isnt the VIN like on a little spot under the license and ispections sticker?? have not looked in a while but there is some kinda code and i think upc there??

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

its behind the windshield, in the dash, on the drivers side

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

my dad and i caught 2 guys trying to steal my sister civic one time, this is a couple weeks after someone try to steal my old camaro, any how, my dad got one and i got one, and litterally beat the shit out of them, cops showed up like 10 minutes later to 2 fucked up car thieves, blood on the street and shit lol, my dad was holding down his guy by stepping on the back of his neck, the guy did not dare to move, shit was hilarious, cops asked what the hell happened, my dad just said they were like that when we caught them lol, anyways they were in a stolen civic trying to steal another, good times.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    my dad and i caught 2 guys trying to steal my sister civic one time, this is a couple weeks after someone try to steal my old camaro, any how, my dad got one and i got one, and litterally beat the shit out of them, cops showed up like 10 minutes later to 2 fucked up car thieves, blood on the street and shit lol, my dad was holding down his guy by stepping on the back of his neck, the guy did not dare to move, shit was hilarious, cops asked what the hell happened, my dad just said they were like that when we caught them lol, anyways they were in a stolen civic trying to steal another, good times.
    Nice work..that will learn them!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

haha...nice so my luck gets even WORSE...went to the bank to take out a loan for my new ss and when i got out i noticed an unusual tone to my rear bumper..i rubbed it and the paint just fell off..someone had backed into me..i went into the bank asked them to search the cameras and they found the guy he backed into me got out looked at it then got in and split..ha i got all his information so i get new paint on my bumper...kinda frustrating AHH..

Quote Originally Posted by claytonr View Post
    haha...nice so my luck gets even WORSE...went to the bank to take out a loan for my new ss and when i got out i noticed an unusual tone to my rear bumper..i rubbed it and the paint just fell off..someone had backed into me..i went into the bank asked them to search the cameras and they found the guy he backed into me got out looked at it then got in and split..ha i got all his information so i get new paint on my bumper...kinda frustrating AHH..
    That's awesome.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by claytonr View Post
    i wish i was that lucky!!! not to get hit again, but to catch who did it.

Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

OP: http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

The nitty gritty:

It is theoretically possible for a very determined thief armed with the right technology and the ability to manipulate it correctly to snatch a keycode from the air and use it to enter a vehicle. However, the complexity and length of time involved in that process means your typical crook can't simply grab an RKE code in a parking lot and open up the corresponding car within a minute or two: the would-be thief would need specialized knowledge and equipment and would have to spend hours (if not days) crunching data and replicating a device to produce the correct entry code, then hope he could locate the same vehicle again once all the other steps had been completed. (In most parking lot scenarios, the target car would be long gone before the putative thief was able to open it.) As Microchip Technology, the manufacturer of KEELOQ brand RKE systems, noted of this possibility:

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

true but it was a buddies house and i go there often..he could be a neighbor for all i know..o well who knows maybe it did not arm when i pressed it maybe i forgot for ONE time to press it..but if there gunna attempt to open it i gues it was better to leave it open once becuase it saved me a damaged window or door lock??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information