Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

auto vs 6-speed

This is a discussion on auto vs 6-speed within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Too Fast I don't know what other people think, but I prefer the 6-spd. Better gas mileage ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I don't know what other people think, but I prefer the 6-spd. Better gas mileage and I think more fun to drive. I like to be in control of things. Another reason I am glad I don't have traction control. Also, I got over 27 MPG driving across the country this past year. That was loaded with my wife and 2 kids and all the gear they require. With AC on, my mileage only dropped .7 MPG. Interstate driving, 75 - 80 MPH. I know automatics are more consistent at the drag strip, but who lives there?
    You just described one of many excellent reasons to have a T-56

At some point, I would love to get another SS vert with a T-56 for cruising, excellent MPG and controlling the drivetrain

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

I think most people given the choice of two identicle camaro's would take the m6,unless for special uses,such as,handicapped driver, knowing you are going to be often in alot of stop + go traffic,heavily modified drag duty, bracket racing,an ls1 for the wife,who doesnt want to shift,a good excuse to get a SECOND camaro, or just want a change,because your last three,were m6's or you do alot of driving + want the siplicity of the auto. At least wit these cars the auto's are in the same perf level as the sticks, where other types are not. The aod mustangs are 3-5 tenths off,+ they have no second gear lockout etc.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Even if I had one leg I'd still get a manual. It might be a bit tricky to drive, but it would be worth it. I'd only get an auto if I wanted to build an track only car.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

bone stock down to the lid, my 98 TA M6 (not WS-6) ran 13.4X @ 106.XX...that's at sea level and it was in March...walked out of the hole (2.1X 60') to save the rear and granny shifted to save the trans...

I see a lot of the autos that aren't far off that number, though...they launch pretty damn good, too. I drove a few auto Vettes and they got sideways in second...I was impressed, but autos still bore me driving day to day. (no offense to the auto guys)

i'd love to have one as a track car, though
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Have you driven one with a converter + a shift kit?

Mine is basically stock, lid + filter, magna flow,slight converter, but still breaks the tires loose at 15 -20 mph, and from + dead stop smokes em so hard in 1st I hit the rev limiter almost instantly, bang second +smokes them all the way thru second, on sticky soft compound toyo's, so the fun factor is still there,even in the auto, at least with the 323,s , converter + shift kit. dont know if they do the same stock. And i'm sure the more modified must be even more fun. But i am also a m6 lover too. This is probably one of the only stock perf vehicles I dont mind the auto because they are so strong. I also kind of worry about getting carried away
    + grenading the rear,maybe less chance with auto. If they are smart buildng the new one in 09, they will build it able to handle the punishment of not just the stock power, but with the inevitable power mods also. I firmly believe thats why the stangs are still around + the camaros are not.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post

Mine is basically stock, lid + filter, magna flow,slight converter, but still breaks the tires loose at 15 -20 mph, and from + dead stop smokes em so hard in 1st I hit the rev limiter almost instantly, bang second +smokes them all the way thru second, on sticky soft compound toyo's, so the fun factor is still there,even in the auto, at least with the 323,s , converter + shift kit. dont know if they do the same stock. And i'm sure the more modified must be even more fun. But i am also a m6 lover too. This is probably one of the only stock perf vehicles I dont mind the auto because they are so strong. I also kind of worry about getting carried away
    + grenading the rear,maybe less chance with auto. If they are smart buildng the new one in 09, they will build it able to handle the punishment of not just the stock power, but with the inevitable power mods also. I firmly believe thats why the stangs are still around + the camaros are not.
    arent 10 bolts dead in gm's power line up?

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Sure hope so.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Sure hope so.
    no shit..worst decision ever by gm?? damn close thats for sure

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

can't push in the clutch and just stab the gas a few times to hear the motor sing...can't blip the throttle on a downshift as you go into a 60* right hander...just can't row through the gears...that's what I find boring about an automatic, not the performance of the car

Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

I wouldnt trade my m6 for the world, its just way too much fun to whip around, i wont argue that the a4 will make me look silly on a track, but i would say i have more fun on the backstreets and highway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information