Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto vs 6-speed

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

auto vs 6-speed

My a4 will smoke any m6 like it was sittin still
    with 2clicks on the emergency brake, running into a head wind with 1plug wireoff.
    O.K. maybe thats a slight exageration but it did get your attention.
    I dug up an old article from GM hightech performance
    magazine july 99 issue, the whole issue was pretty much dedicated to the ls1 that month.
    The main article took 12 ls1 cars 8of which were
    basically stock,ss+z a4,s +m6's,
    raced + dyno,d them. Long story short there as no real differences in rwhp + or e.t.s some of the auto z's actually made more hp then the ss 6speeds + vise-
    versa. Super interesting article,( I dont know if there are archives from the mag that can be brought up on the net.) I'm just wondering if that rings true today. What do you think?
    Judging from what I've seen of times, they are VERY close + the m6 has the gearing advantage.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

A quote from the article

In the auto v 6 speed ,whats noticable isthe auto gives up little or no power to the 6 spd .That dovetails what we saw at the track ,where auto cars seem to be just as fast as the stick cars.. Is the parasitic loss of the r4l60 auto at an all time low, or is the ls1 making more power in auto applications? Anybody?

Now don't get mad at me I'm not making this up Its in the july 99 issue gmhtp.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

It's what actually made me not mind buying an auto ls1.
    I always had mustangs' And there aod's were much slower then the 5- spds they were terrible for performance.
    My auto z with a slight converter is a blast to drive.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

A4s need an aftermarket convertor to be able to compete with the M6s IMO.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

I would agree with that, I'm sure the 323's with the perf axle would help too.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Just out of curiosity what does a stock converter, 273 car pull for times, conceivably the slowest ls1 anybody ever run that combo, bone stock?

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

what kind of numbers did the mag say the cars put down?
    and so far i have not lost to a auto. but thats not to say they are slower.
    but i have been driven a manual from the start. so i looked for a 6speed.
    for me they are just more fun.
    LS7 clutch,01 slave,Corsa 3" stainless exhuast,drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads,160 thermo,Mti clear lid,msd 8.5 wires & Ngk plugs...more to come!
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2311455

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If you take 2 LS1's making similar peak HP, one being A4 and the other M6 this is typically what happens.

From a dig, the A4 should have a quicker ET and win, but the M6 will probably MPH higher.

From a roll, the M6 will probably have the advantage.

Stalled A4s will 60' better than an M6, its just a matter of whether or not the M6 has enough big end to get around the A4 before the finish.

M6s are almost always going to dyno higher, due to lesser drivetrain % loss, which is also indicative of the higher MPH down the 1320.

I am not saying one is better over the other, they are both fun and both serve their purpose.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

what the article is saying + showing with the dyno #' is that the m6 isn't making more rwhp. I know years ago trans like the turbo 400 etc use to eat up agoodly amount of hp, what this is asking is if the a4 is not sucking out the hp like past autos, because of the dyno #'s + the ets. I'll post the #'s later,but they ran from a low of 285.1 hp +308.1 tq (m6 ss) to 300hp+316.9 also a m6 ss this was in 99 so all were 98+99 cars.
    I'm not writing this because i have a auto, because outof all the muscle cars i've owned most were manual
    + Iactually want a m6 convert,
    I just always had this article in the back of my mind+
    after reading more it seems true that they are prett much neck + neck,with maybe an excellent driver in a
    m6 having an edge if they can catch the a4 afer launch.It makes you wonder, if they had put same gears + a little looser converter if the auto would have been quicker from the factory. I would also think that as the cars get more + more modified I.E. highly modified cars the Auto becomes quicker, def more consistant, +easier to run.Harder launches, no missed shifts,) time in between shifts, less breakage etc. Again not downing M6's Just the sound of one leaving atraffic light,and rowing the gears, or going across a parkinglot at a distance makes my loins quivver, especially acammed up,geared up, high flow exaust car. OOOOH YAAAAH! Question: why do the m6's come withlower gears,MUCH lower in the case of the 273's?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post
    Question: why do the m6's come withlower gears,MUCH lower in the case of the 273's?

Probably because of the 2 overdrives the T-56 provides.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just out of curiosity what does a stock converter, 273 car pull for times, conceivably the slowest ls1 anybody ever run that combo, bone stock?
    I had a '98 with the A4 2.73 rear, it ran 14.1 @ 99MPH stock. Then I put a lid on it, did the shifting with the slushbox myself right at 6150 RPM and was rewarded with a best of 13.65 @ 102.95. Most times were 13.8 about 101.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

So you are saying the stock a4 vs stock m6
    The a4 should win in 1/4?
    Bold statement, but would the m6 guys agree

But the m6 would have the higher trap because it was closing the gap towards the end therefor actually going faster
    at that point.
    I,ve read that the 273 cars also normally have a higher trap then the 323 cars is this true + is it because the ls1 has enough tourque to push the taller gears, but too tall of a gear for a good launch.
    I realize alot of this is moot once you get into modified cars but i think its interesting to know how they ran right off the showroom floor. Remember whenthey were new + virgin. Anybody keeping 1 that way? It would be sad if in 20 years you couldnt find a nice untouched
    one. for everyday geezer driving. Try to find a nice untouched 5.0 these days.
    Not that i,m against modified cars, but its nice to have both available. Being an old musclecar collecter in the past the trend was + is to remove all the after market stuff everybody put on in the past + go back to stock.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the whole dyno thing to compare t56s and a4 (4l60e or whatever its name is) is sorta a crock. becuase of the ls1's large manufactoring tolerances..so really that article doesnt prove anything..a a4 that is a factory freak is going to beat a "dud" t56 and such on..but yea as already explained..the a4s are great from drag racing..and the t56s are just teh shit if i had a choice i'd run a t56..but that requires me learning to drive a stick better.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

So much for the high trap speed

in reply to the 13.6 at 102.9
    + the 99 + 101

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

I would imagine stop light to stop light the auto must be the winner,also. ??????

98' trans am

I would imagine stop light to stop light the auto must be the winner,also. ??????
    yea, the 4l60e is better out of the hole and such since it is electronically controled, so you shift at the exact same point over and over again, throw in a stall and edit the shift points and the 4l60e really shines

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

My web tv wont alow me onto the chat room, Just freezes up he teeny hard drive i guess, Thats why i'm yacking away on this thread, + writing these novels.
    Compuer on the way.

98' trans am

My web tv wont alow me onto the chat room, Just freezes up he teeny hard drive i guess, Thats why i'm yacking away on this thread, + writing these novels.
    Compuer on the way.
    yea dont worry about it. but yea the 4l60e gets NASTY! with a tune and a stall..i really dont know why people bitch so much about M vs A...both are strong, and with the way new trans are today the performance line is soo thin..i think its the new infinite that has a 7speed auto

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

My 2000 WS6 is BONE STOCK down to the lid. With 25psi in the tires, it went 13.46 @ 102 with a 2.0 60'...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I don't know what other people think, but I prefer the 6-spd. Better gas mileage and I think more fun to drive. I like to be in control of things. Another reason I am glad I don't have traction control. Also, I got over 27 MPG driving across the country this past year. That was loaded with my wife and 2 kids and all the gear they require. With AC on, my mileage only dropped .7 MPG. Interstate driving, 75 - 80 MPH. I know automatics are more consistent at the drag strip, but who lives there?

Thread Information