Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

auto trans)race in 3rd or OD???

This is a discussion on auto trans)race in 3rd or OD??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by got-a-ls1 to the guy who says autos start out in second..... Dont know why you think that, ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by got-a-ls1 View Post
    to the guy who says autos start out in second.....

Dont know why you think that, its simply not true. I have never seen an auto that was working correctly start out in second gear from a dead stop. From a slow roll that *should* be in first some may engage second gear, but thats only while moving...
    I think it started in 2000. That if you put the shifter into second the car never shifts out of second.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS #2988, A4, Navy Blue Metalic, 335HP Dual Dual Exhaust, Chrome 10 spokes, Floor mats, Dash plaque, and SS Grille
    Best ET 13.08 @ 106.1, 2.00 60', with SLP lid

silver
    98 camaro ss

I've heard from a trans shop that leaving it in 3rd will create too much line pressure under wot this is coincidental to the fact that when im at the track my car hesitates between 2nd $ 3rd then shifts very hard . 98 camaro ss lt's, x-pipe/duals, v-9 vortech, 4.10's , a4

White
    1998 Trans Am

I race in OD... If you put it in drive, it will not shift & hit the rev limiter. Especially if your using a programmer to alter shift points. And yes, it launches in first !!! The new C6 starts in second gear. 6 speed auto.

Hugger Orange
    98 Camaro

I leave in D, OD... either way the car starts in first.

bill98ta is right, there have been time when I ran in D that the car didn't
    shift and hit the rev limiter.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I tell that to my old lady too!!! Even when I'm wrong, I'm right !!!
    She doesn't go for it...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've raced mine in OD and in D. No major difference, but it did run it's quickest e.t. in OD (13.44 @ 105.75). In drive it's run it's fastest (13.52 @ 107.43).

An automatic that starts out in second gear is just screwed up. The whole point of having an automatic is so that it will shift through the gears for you. All the gears. BTW, there's no difference in second gear in D and second gear in OD. It's the same gear. And shifting the A4 Camaro manually is just foolish. My car will "idiot override" holding it in a gear at a lot lower rpm then it would shift itself at WOT. The tranny and the computer are faster and better at shifting the car at optimum points then you ever could be. I have to admit that running a quarter mile just sitting there with your foot on the floor is somewhat less fun, but I've never missed a shift like so many opponents I've beaten.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I race in OD... If you put it in drive, it will not shift & hit the rev limiter. Especially if your using a programmer to alter shift points. And yes, it launches in first !!! The new C6 starts in second gear. 6 speed auto.
    I agree, in D it bangs off the rev limiter and dies so I only use OD and I have no programming done. 2nd gear starts are for winter driving take-offs and not for serious driving so putting it in 2 for anything but winter is not wise.

2000pontiac6
    From what i have learned NEVER manually shift a auto. It knows when to shift better then u do and its bad for the tranny.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I agree, in D it bangs off the rev limiter and dies so I only use OD and I have no programming done. 2nd gear starts are for winter driving take-offs and not for serious driving so putting it in 2 for anything but winter is not wise.
    floor it and it will downshift to first.

i swear, every auto car that ive put in od, accelerates like shit even when i floor it, and i drop it into second and it accelerates the same till i floor it and it downshifts. so to me, it seems like in od, it starts in 2nd

white
    2002 z28

Quote:
    Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
    to the guy who says autos start out in second.....

Dont know why you think that, its simply not true. I have never seen an auto that was working correctly start out in second gear from a dead stop. From a slow roll that *should* be in first some may engage second gear, but thats only while moving...

FOUND THE ANWSERE, look at # 11

2000 F-Body

1. Redesigned exhaust manifolds for new emissions standard actually flowed better and created a little more HP.
    2. 2000 continued use of LS1 Intake, EGR, smaller cam, and 26 lb fuel injectors
    3. Added rear child seat safety hooks to interior per federal requirements
    4. Very early run of WS6s had "salad shooter" style rims. A production change switched back to standard 5-spoke WS6 rims.
    5. Camaros got redesigned 10-spoke base rims, and SSs came with new 10-spoke rim design
    6. First year of Monterey Maple Metallic paint
    7. Charcoal (grayish) interior was replaced with Ebony (almost black) leather interior
    8. Cloth interior cars got new rainbow colored cloth patterns
    9. Camaros only got the Pontiac steering wheel with optional audio controls
    10. Throttle body cam was increased in size to slow the speed at which the car reaches WOT
    11. Automatic transmission cars were reprogrammed to allow a car to start off in 2nd gear from a stop when the shift lever is put into 2.
    12. The last year a WS6 Formula was offered
    13. Starting 2000 intake lids contained a seperate breather filter
    14. 2000+ Camaros came with body colored mirrors instead of black ones like 98-99

Silver
    1998 SS

This is a little off the subject at hand but what times are you guys getting with your A4's in the quarter mile.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by Jasin View Post
    This is a little off the subject at hand but what times are you guys getting with your A4's in the quarter mile.
    13.08 @ 106 with a 2.0 60'
    Mods: lid and hand held programer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information