Thread: ASR traction

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

ASR traction

Quick question: Is there any advantage to taking the ASR traction control button "off" as far as car performance. Is there any advantage of using it other than on icy roads (which I don't plan on driving in anyways-my car is a 2000 camaro SS convertible). Thanks for any input!

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    Quick question: Is there any advantage to taking the ASR traction control button "off" as far as car performance. Is there any advantage of using it other than on icy roads (which I don't plan on driving in anyways-my car is a 2000 camaro SS convertible). Thanks for any input!
    It won't affect pref.
    But, it works good when accelerating on wet roads. Without it, you could lose traction when you least expect it, and spin-out.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

I shut mine off the second after my car starts faithfully, I'd rather turn it on if I needed it then have the light on all the time. My KDW's hook up real nice and my car never goes out in the rain.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

mine doesn't have it...and it does fine on rainy days...even with my heavy foot...

just good tires and go... (just not too hard)... and I can't help with the icy roads cause I've never seen one...

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Interesting enough, I just went in for some computor "final touches", and I asked him if he could eliminate the ASR. The very first thing I did after I bought the car was to buy one of those SLP mechanical Skip-shift eliminators that attach to the side of the transmission. The dash light still came on but the "gate" never was activated again. After the tuning, I noticed that the "skip shift" light never came on again, he told me he deactivated it[the skip shift feature,as he had no idea I had the mechanical part, he's only the tuning guy] in the software. Cool, so I asked if he could do the same with the ASR, so I didn't have to stare at that stupid light. Well...yes, and no. The ASR is both electronic, and mechanical, as we've all seen the jungle of cables under the hoods, so he took the values in the software down to zero...making it ALMOST like it is off..but not quite. A compromise to be sure. It's not too bad really, because if it's really slick, and it's hardly ever rains here in Seattle, then it'll kick in, but otherwise the electronic nanny will mind her own business and let my 471 horses run free. it's really the way GM should have done it in the first place. Just my 2 cents worth here boys. Note: It no longer kicks my foot off the pedal as hard either, just a nudge, that girl has learned some manners!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I got sideways with it turned on in the rain turning a corner, but it really helps in the snow. You can put the pedal to the floor and let it do the work. Otherwise it's of no use. I'm happy my current car doesn't have it. Less clutter under the hood.

White Liquid Silver

I think I read about a module that keeps it off until you activate it rather than always on...I'm getting old and my memory is shot...but I saw it somewhere...LOL

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I turned off my ASR to show off to my friend. I wanted to floor it and chirp the tires. I turned a corner and didn't realize that I dipped my wheels in a little bit of water that was on the street. I ended up going sideways. I luckily regained control really quick and avoided hitting a pole. scared the shit out of me. my head hit the roof of my car right above the window, that's how hard my rear end went. I was shaking for like, 5 minutes after.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Less clutter under the hood.

What does it look like under the hood? Is it the thing that goes to the throttle cable? I thought that was the cruise control.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
    What does it look like under the hood? Is it the thing that goes to the throttle cable? I thought that was the cruise control.
    Yup, it's the part that's on the passenger fender well that goes to the throttle body. Here's a pic without it. I don't have one with it on my PC. Ignore the dirty underhood pic. I didn't get any after the clean up yet.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Hey JoeSS..I think you may have been thinking of SLP's module that reversed the factory's setting. In other words, it was OFF when you started the car until you turned in ON, but I heard they stopped selling it for whatever reason. I thought about getting one, but staring at that ASR OFF light all the time didn't go well with me. Which is why I'm happy with my current compromise, but I'd rather the car was never equipped with it, although to be honest, it has saved my ass more than once! Especially after I dropped the modded LS6 in her.

White Liquid Silver

I like your adjustments too, if I can change when it activates that would be great, eventually I want to have the LS1 edit tune done and I'll look into it then. I had a bad experience once leaving a gas station and had to gas it to get out of a fast moving tractor trailer and my traction control kicked in and scared the sh*t out of me....I've shut it off faithfully ever since.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

my LS1 has saved my ass more than the traction control has. whenever I get in a tight spot I floor it. always gets me out of harms way in a jiffy.

White Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    my LS1 has saved my ass more than the traction control has. whenever I get in a tight spot I floor it. always gets me out of harms way in a jiffy.
    Try doing that when you absolutely need to and the traction control kicks in...

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

the minute i get into my car i hit that switch to off and go.......i have used it many times in the rain and it has saved my ass a few times. it's nice to have.

i have never or will i drive my car in the snow so i dont have to worry about that.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

A 320HP LS1 will most certainly get you out of a lot of trouble...almost as much as a modded 471HP LS6 can get you into....two different types of trouble young man. Whereas yours can get you out out harms way, mine can put me square in the path of it. Example; I was on a nice freeway onramp the other day, I was in 3rd gear (M6) and was going approx. 55MPH, and "goosed it" the rear end broke loose with little warning [466lb of torque will do that] and she started coming around on me. No big deal, but my stock 325HP LS1 would have just motored right through nicely enough. Thankfully with the settings [ASR] as they are, not to mention my expert driving (joke) we're still in one piece.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    I didn't get any after the clean up yet.

Click for full size
    Wow too bad for you. I always get some after a clean up! j/k!

I am glad my car does not have it. My traction control (and handling control!) is my right foot.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Wow too bad for you. I always get some after a clean up! j/k!

I am glad my car does not have it. My traction control (and handling control!) is my right foot.
    With all the road construction in my area it gets that dirty in a week!

Thread Information