Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Anyone using Comp's Mutha Thumpr?

This is a discussion on Anyone using Comp's Mutha Thumpr? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Swapping cams again, and I'd like to talk to Comp Mutha Thumpr owners speciffically. -Driveability? -Tune Necessary? *Fuel Trim alterations ...

  1. #1
    King of Lurkers ne0fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United St
    Posts
    153

    |||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

    Anyone using Comp's Mutha Thumpr?

    Swapping cams again, and I'd like to talk to Comp Mutha Thumpr owners speciffically.
    -Driveability?
    -Tune Necessary?
    *Fuel Trim alterations
    *Spark advance/retard
    -Increases in exhaust temp?
    -Braod increase in fuel comsumption?
    etc.
    Notes:
    Heads are stock
    Headers are long-tube (ceramic coat)
    85mm TB
    Summit brand MAF
    Fast (r) Intake
    MSD coils, etc.
    *stock* Delphi PCM <- important



    Thanks bros

  2. #2
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    What cam do you have in now?

    It will definitely require a tune... 109 lsa will make it really lopey and hard to idle without a tune. The exhaust duration is bigger than normal, especially with the intake side of it.

    Are you an M6 or A4? You'll need some support from the drivetrain if you are going with a larger cam. Rear gear ratio and if A4 a stall converter. What made you want to go with this cam?

    2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

    2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

    2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

    2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

  3. #3
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I'm running it, but not in a fuel injected 4th gen.

  4. #4
    King of Lurkers ne0fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United St
    Posts
    153

    |||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    What cam do you have in now?

    It will definitely require a tune... 109 lsa will make it really lopey and hard to idle without a tune. The exhaust duration is bigger than normal, especially with the intake side of it.

    Are you an M6 or A4? You'll need some support from the drivetrain if you are going with a larger cam. Rear gear ratio and if A4 a stall converter. What made you want to go with this cam?
    The cam I'm using now isn't as beefy as I want, I had a sour deal with ExoticPerformancePlus and was upsold a crappy grind with a really smooth LSA.
    The Mutha Thumpr is exactly what I wanted in the first place, but I went with the easy deal - paying for it now.
    Mine's an M6, so I'm not too worried about the gears in the short term.
    I guess my only other question would be a Dyno tune. Do we know anyone in the Tampa, Florida area that can recomend a fair priced speed shop with a dyno service?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    9

    Black
    2000 Camaro SS

    Havent ran the cam but I've read that a few people didnt care for it. Sounded mean but that was mainly it. Just from what I've read. Good Luck.

  6. #6
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    That's not really the case as far as carbed motors go. There have been several comparisons between these thumper cams and some of their more popular line of XE cams.
    The thumpers only gave up a few ponies overall and they actually performed quite well. There is alot of thought that went into the design to give the sound without giving up much power or needing too much compression to make it work.

    Fuel injection on the other hand I'm not so sure. Fuel injected motors tend to like wider LSA's of 110 or more it seems. And I've noticed the fuel injected versions of the thumpers only come with a 109 LSA compared to the carb versions of 107. How well they work in a fuelie LS motor I can't say.

  7. #7
    King of Lurkers ne0fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United St
    Posts
    153

    |||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's not really the case as far as carbed motors go. There have been several comparisons between these thumper cams and some of their more popular line of XE cams.
    The thumpers only gave up a few ponies overall and they actually performed quite well. There is alot of thought that went into the design to give the sound without giving up much power or needing too much compression to make it work.

    Fuel injection on the other hand I'm not so sure. Fuel injected motors tend to like wider LSA's of 110 or more it seems. And I've noticed the fuel injected versions of the thumpers only come with a 109 LSA compared to the carb versions of 107. How well they work in a fuelie LS motor I can't say.
    Funny you mention the LSA, I am also concerned with that. I've taken the valves and springs into consideration and selected a slightly shorter rod to dampen the voilent open:shut cycle of the 109. The cam I am swapping now, is a symetrical 224/224 114 +1, and was just too laid back for me.
    The plan is in the works and the Delphi PCM will be replaced by Pontiac Power's custom unit. The only thing holding me back now is finding a dependable speed shot that offers a dyno tune for a good price. It is VERY hard for me to allow other people to touch my cars, so leaving my Goat at some stranger's place for a few days SUCKS in my mind. But... I guess I've got to do it...

  8. #8
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SAN FRAN SISCO BABY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    836

    VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

    there is a camaro here in town by me that has that cam.
    it sounds like a friggin rail car. dont think he has head work...runs like a bat outta hell cant hook for crapola though.(factory wheels w/ primewells lol

  9. #9
    King of Lurkers ne0fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United St
    Posts
    153

    |||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    there is a camaro here in town by me that has that cam.
    it sounds like a friggin rail car. dont think he has head work...runs like a bat outta hell cant hook for crapola though.(factory wheels w/ primewells lol
    Primewell.
    The jewl of Chinese rubber... Vomit.

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by ne0fiend View Post
    Funny you mention the LSA, I am also concerned with that. I've taken the valves and springs into consideration and selected a slightly shorter rod to dampen the voilent open:shut cycle of the 109. The cam I am swapping now, is a symetrical 224/224 114 +1, and was just too laid back for me.
    The plan is in the works and the Delphi PCM will be replaced by Pontiac Power's custom unit. The only thing holding me back now is finding a dependable speed shot that offers a dyno tune for a good price. It is VERY hard for me to allow other people to touch my cars, so leaving my Goat at some stranger's place for a few days SUCKS in my mind. But... I guess I've got to do it...
    I've been driving mine a bit now with the mutha thumper cam. Talking with Comp Cams, they based these designs off their roundy round dirt track cams they grind. I run mine in a 406 so it soaks up some of the sound compared to a 350, but I find it to be just about radical enough to turn heads. It's pretty choppy up to about 1,500 or so then finally smooths out a bit. I run a 4 speed behind it so torque converters aren't an issue, but it would need a loose one for sure
    It only holds about 8 inches of vacuum Idling at 800-900 rpms in neutral so it could be a problem for someone with power brakes ( I don't have those either )

    As far as power, this particular 406 made over 450 hp on the dyno a few years back with a different cam (230/240 at .050) on a 110 LSA. I have only switched to this Mutha Thumper cam because I wanted more sound, didn't care so much about output, but I can say seat of the pants feels no different, so I don't think I really gave up much if anything. Specs are 235/249 at .050 with split lift .490 intake and .475 exhaust. It's ground on a 107 LSA though, and they want it installed on an intake centerline of 102. So it has 5 degrees of advance ground in. I installed it and wound up with a 103 ICL though, my chain was a little stretched obviously after only 20,000 miles. I think it drives around great, raps up fast, and makes all the right sounds on cruise night. It lopes down the road at 30 mph. Again this is just their middle Mutha Thumper cam, they offer one that is even wilder than this one.
    Just my experiences with it. I'm still not so sure I'd want to put one in a fuel injected car though.

  11. #11
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Huge split.
    I imagine it would also be a bitch to tune. But sound pretty mean.
    I dislike picking a cam for sound....but I know it happens.

    Personally....get something like the Torquer2 on a 112....should have plenty of power with decent sound.
    I actually REALLY like the grind you have in there....would probably stay with it.

    Don't want too much cam without gears and driveline for it.

  12. #12
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Huge split.
    I imagine it would also be a bitch to tune. But sound pretty mean.
    I dislike picking a cam for sound....but I know it happens.

    Personally....get something like the Torquer2 on a 112....should have plenty of power with decent sound.
    I actually REALLY like the grind you have in there....would probably stay with it.

    Don't want too much cam without gears and driveline for it.
    Yep, they run the huge duration split to compensate for the reverse lift split of 490/475. It works well. The extra exhaust duration helps my combo anyway which is why I had a 230/240 in it from the beginning, because the exhaust flow on my World heads are a little weak, and my headers are small for the cubic inch I'm running 1 5/8" on a 406. The larger split made more power on the dyno for me. The engine really likes 1 3/4 headers but this is what I had laying around for this chassis.
    It all works pretty well together though. Carbed motors like tight LSA's and this one has it (107) and right now I'm only currently running 3.08 gears out back (although only a 25 inch tall tire). Seems to work just fine with this cam. I can lug it down to about 1200 rpms in 4th (muncie 4 speed), and mat the throttle, it picks right up without so much as a buck or kick without having to downshift. The car only weighs 3,300 lbs.
    Lights the tires up if I want to. So far after 100 miles logged it's really not that bad of a setup and seems to make good power right off idle up to 6,000 rpm where I'm shifting it at.
    If I still had access to a dyno I'd love to stick it on there again just to see if there is a difference in power. But so far I find it drives on the street just as easy as the 230/240 cam on a 110 LSA I had in it before.

  13. #13
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I'm trying to upload a short video of the car idling. Seems anything more than 25mb gives the computer problems so I had to shorten it down to 5-7 seconds. We'll see if it works shortly.

  14. #14
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Hope this works. This is the Mutha Thumper in a 406. I built this motor about 5 years ago for my daily driver monza at the time, drove it daily for 2 years before the car rusted apart, pulled the motor and saved it till now. Went back through it just to check things after logging 20,000 miles.
    10:1 with World cast iron heads, runs on pump gas. Back then with a somewhat less radical cam it made 458 HP if I remember right, (sheet is here somewhere) Just a mild build, I simply changed the cam to a mutha thumper before installing it in this car.

    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-06-2010 at 03:32 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Video works fine, but the audio part is a bit distorted. Hey, nice Nova!

  16. #16
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Always a bit windy up here, not much I can do with that

    I had a ton more video pulling it outside, but I had to cut it short and keep in under 25 MB.

    I could try it in the garage without the wind. I'm just so used to wind out here I didn't think much of it.

  17. #17
    Member Texas Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    675

    Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Hope this works. This is the Mutha Thumper in a 406. I built this motor about 5 years ago for my daily driver monza at the time, drove it daily for 2 years before the car rusted apart, pulled the motor and saved it till now. Went back through it just to check things after logging 20,000 miles.
    10:1 with World cast iron heads, runs on pump gas. Back then with a somewhat less radical cam it made 458 HP if I remember right, (sheet is here somewhere) Just a mild build, I simply changed the cam to a mutha thumper before installing it in this car.

    Click for full size
    Firebird, I haven't seen one of these in a very long time. Very nice is it a 69 or 70? Sounds nice also.

  18. #18
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    It's a 71.

    Here is a better shot in the garage, hopefully the sound comes through better.


  19. #19
    Member Texas Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    675

    Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's a 71.

    Here is a better shot in the garage, hopefully the sound comes through better.

    Click for full size
    Nice vid, sounds so good, had a 70 Nova SS back in the day but the Pontiac is a rare beast and I like!

  20. #20
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Thanks, I had a bunch of novas over the years. This being a tad different makes for an interesting conversation piece. They are about extinct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thumpr comp cams
    By 99LS1 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM
  2. Question: Which Muthra Thumpr Comp Cam to use in LS1
    By cballweg in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 07:36 PM
  3. Help: LS1 Muthra Thumpr comp cam -anyone have this cam?
    By cballweg in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM
  4. Question: Annyone running Com's Mutha Thumpr?
    By ne0fiend in forum GTO
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
  5. Question: Anyone using Comp's Mutha Thumpr?
    By ne0fiend in forum Corvette
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •