anyone carry special insurance?

This is a discussion on anyone carry special insurance? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i was thinking about this the other day, my car is 9 years old, 43k miles and is registered as ...

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

anyone carry special insurance?

i was thinking about this the other day, my car is 9 years old, 43k miles and is registered as a "collector vehicle" in ohio with special plates, but i carry normal insurance. i am afraid that if my car is stolen or in an accident and cant get the dash to display mileage, wont i get screwed on its value?

I've got Hagerty it costs me $351/yr b/c the car is not a daily driver they match my liabitly on the DD, but require that I have a garage and a few other stipulations. The reason I got it was b/c "regular" insurance would have been an additional $400 every 6 mos. on top of the $518 I paid for full coverage on the Toyota and PLPD on the Lumina. But as far as I know there's no real difference between what I have and what you would get from the Lizard or the caveman or somthing just cheaper. I would suggest takeing lots of pictures on a frequent basis and maybe even taking a video camera and getting a real detailed home video of your car.

Black
    94 hawk a4 02 hawk vertm6

I took mine to my agent and had them document the condition and milage along with pics of the engine, interior and the milage. I too was worried if either hawk got totaled they would try to replace it with just a formula or ta.(just sayin) The extra cost was very low. I have State Farm BTW. Get the car appraised and get your insured value to that amount. I also have them insured as collectible(>6k milage a year) so the cost of the "normal" insurance is way lower than if they were daily drivers. Better to see what coverage you HAVE b4 you need it!

Black on Black on Black
    2002 Camaro SS Vert

In addition to these other suggestons I look at Ebay every few weeks at the completed Camaro auctions. Any sale that is high, for a similar year and mileage car, say over $25,000, I print out a copy of the auction and file it away. These types of comparable sales of simlar SS vehicles can be helpful to make sure the insurance co. gives you a 'fair' price should something happen.
    Erik

2002 Camaro SS LS1 / 1 of 147
    2004 Suburban 2500 HD 8.1L

Quote Originally Posted by erikzola View Post
    In addition to these other suggestons I look at Ebay every few weeks at the completed Camaro auctions. Any sale that is high, for a similar year and mileage car, say over $25,000, I print out a copy of the auction and file it away. These types of comparable sales of simlar SS vehicles can be helpful to make sure the insurance co. gives you a 'fair' price should something happen.
    Hey thats a good idea.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

yea it is, but that doesn't mean the insurance company has to pay that

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

but who verifies your stolen car is in the same condition as the printed auctions? "why yes, mr. insurance company, my stolen camaro only happened to have 500 miles on the odometer and seats were still in plastic..."

i think i will have to give my agent a ring to see what he suggests in terms of documentation. many thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

red
    99 camaro ss

if you get your oil changed you have a record of milege
    Last edited by red99camaross; 01-08-2009 at 11:11 AM.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I went with Grundy and you pick the agreed value you want to insure which sets the policy price for the year. My 2000 SS only has 18k miles and never sees rain or snow. Way cheaper than full coverage insurance/storage insurance for a year.

black
    2000 camaro ss

Cheap Insurance

I'm with SSTODD on this one, I also have grundy on my 2000 SS and I pay under $300. I also have it on my 65 Olds.

1994 Z28 MQBM
    2001 SS #1629 LPM

Grundy here too.

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

Quote Originally Posted by red99camaross View Post
    if you get your oil changed you have a record of milege
    my oil change record is on an old oil filter box pinned to the wall of my garage.

i will have to give grundy a call. i talked to my agent and he said to periodically take photos of the car and odometer. who is to say if it is stolen, i am not showing him an odometer photo from when i bought the car.

Thread Information