Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any Push Button Start Installs??

This is a discussion on Any Push Button Start Installs?? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey guys, sorry to renew this thread as it is already two months old but i was very curious about ...

Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

Hey guys, sorry to renew this thread as it is already two months old but i was very curious about this stuff...what i want to do is make it so the key doesnt have to be in the ignition...is there a way to bypass that step and just have a toggle switch to act as a "run" then push the button to start the car...If this was the case i could hide the toggle switch somewhere most likely where the ashtray is and then use the push button while never having to use the key?

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

that just seems like your seeting yourself up to get your car jacked. If I where doing it I would leave the key set up. just my .02

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by Madcity T/A View Post
    that just seems like your seeting yourself up to get your car jacked. If I where doing it I would leave the key set up. just my .02
    I agree.. the first time someone see that.. your car is gone.. you would need a smart chip like the new toyotas in the keyfob to make this effective.. it just has to be on you and you can hit the button.... but if you just want to flip a switch and hit a button.. you're asking for trouble.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    02 SS #8719

I thought read somewhere that car manufacturers were starting to get away from push button starting for that reason.

Silverstone Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Like 99Ztwenty8 said.. just hide the toggle?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

The problem isn’t so much the toggle, because race cars don’t have keys, and they just toggle the fuel pump on and then push a button for the ignition. The main problem I think your going to have is with the tumbler (were you put the key in) it has three setting, full turn for ignition, half way for fuel pump (you can hear the buzz) and backward for accessory. You'll need to find a way to hard wire all three to just to one toggle. The means pulling apart you steering column and playing find the wires. I believe this can all be done because many people turn showroom cars into single purpose race cars. I personally don’t think it’s worth the time because you’re going to turn the toggle just like turning the key. Plus if you decision to go wireless and build a fob, some kid with an R/C car might catch your radio frequency and start your car. Happens with garage doors all the time. Have fun, might be a cool project.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Just use the ignition & key out of a 1965 chevy impala . Back then you could insert the key & crank the car then remove the key from the ignition switch. That way you could just use the starter button when the ignition is on without the key & still be able to lock everything.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by Soltakr View Post
    Plus if you decision to go wireless and build a fob, some kid with an R/C car might catch your radio frequency and start your car. Happens with garage doors all the time. Have fun, might be a cool project.
    Lol.. I did that as a kid when I visited my G-parents in FL.. there was a brand new sub division.. still hadn't paved the road yet.. drove my new RC car up and down the road and I would keep opening and closing several of the garage doors.. it was hilarious watching them run out wondering what was going on..

Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

or how about a second kill switch....if i were to have a seperate switch for the fuel pump or battery located in the trunk or somewhere similar, where you would only flip it when you start the day out and then when you park at night you shut it off...no way someone trying to jack your car will find it. even if they find the toggle in the cockpit, they would still not be able to start the car, it owuld be a similar setup to some of the forklifts i used in iraq.

white
    2002 z28

that would be soo funny.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i always thought about wiring this up but i always wanted to get fancy with it.

i wanted to get a plate and mount 5 three way switches on it. to start the car you would have to have all 5 switches in their proper slot say "up, down, middle, down, middle" or something along those lines. that way it would be more difficult for someone if they wanted to jack the car on ya that they would have to either know how to hotwire it quick or would have to monkey around with getting the switches set right.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

what about a toggle with a cover over it that needs a key to open it...

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Ok, wouldn't all this extra work kind of defeat the point of having a push starter? If you would have to put a key in something to open it to click a toggle, etc.. wouldn't it just be easier/faster/cheaper to just leave it as is? Unless I suppose you just wanted to be different and have a conversation starter...

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Ok, wouldn't all this extra work kind of defeat the point of having a push starter? If you would have to put a key in something to open it to click a toggle, etc.. wouldn't it just be easier/faster/cheaper to just leave it as is? Unless I suppose you just wanted to be different and have a conversation starter...
    the end of your statement answered it.. just to be diff.. plus u cant beat the feeling of feeling like a race car by flipping a switch and pushing a button...
    maybe a way to do the toggle then push button.. or have option of also just using key.. but i have no idea how that would work... pftt hell if i know

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Lol.. ok... yeah I know what you mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information