BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

American Racing LT headers/ ORY Questions?

Hey guys....
    I have a 98Z/28 and I want to buy a set of American Racing LT headers and the AR off road Y pipe and have a few questions.

1)Should I buy new ARP bolts or those locking header bolts I have seen OR just use my stock bolts?

2) This car is stock w/ just a lid/K&N and a BorlaMouth 3" catback exhaust. Would you go with the 1&3/4" or 1&7/8" headers? I plan on keeping it stock.

3) Any ideas on where to get em for a good price? So far I found them for $1320 + free shipping.

Thanks in advance!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with Stage 8 locking header bolts on our car. They are stainless and I never have to tighten them. I also installed DEI wire sleeves on the plug wires for some added security. I did get the 1-7/8" headers as I eventually plan to upgrade the cam and possibly heads. Had I not planned on this, it would have received a set of 1-3/4" headers. I am not familiar with where to shop for them, but check with all your usual suspects to see if anyone is running a deal -- Texas Speed, KY Speed, etc...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Great choice on AR headers, they are very nice!

Stage 8 bolts are best, but I cleaned and reused the stock bolts, on the car 6 years now no problems at all.

I recommend 1 7/8. I bought 1 3/4 but wished I had the bigger ones after adding the cam.

Once you mod, you will likely want even more power....it is a fun addiction

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

1 7/8 are proven to make more power even on a stock ls1. A lot of people say they lose power from being too big. But I've seen way too many dyno sheets saying otherwise.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am gonna go with the Stage 8 locking bolts because I don't wanna be fking with tightening them..... Those spark plug sleeves are a good idea too- gonna get those as well. Plugs and wires are MSD 8.5 mm (I think that is the size anyways) and NGk TR55 which have about 500 miles on those- so I am ok there. I am gonna go with the 7/8" I cant see a 1/8" difference being that big a deal. I wonder if it will affect torque?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Does anyone know what the part# is for GM header gaskets for a 98Z/28? Will the gaskets from 98-2002 be the same? Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Gaskets should be the same as far as I know.

Thread Information