Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Already broke my new ride

Long story short I picked up a 2000 SS over Thanksgiving weekend. It has 111,000 miles on it and has gone through several hands. The last owner wasn't sure what all had been done to it. Well since I knew so little about the car and didn't have insurance or tags for it, I didn't drive it very much and when I did I took it easy.

Last week I got insurance on it and Saturday I changed the oil and looked it over a little bit. As sson as I got done a friend of mine showed up so we decided to take it for a drive. We went to a road that is a 3 mile straghit stretch and has little traffic. Drove down the rode checking to make sure everything has good and safe. Went to turn around and did a couple of doughnuts (there is a whole story behind why). Tried to do a 0-100 run. The car did good but the driver didn't. The shifter is a lot shoter than my old one and I missed 3rd. Made a little loop and did another 0-100 run back. The driver did a lot better. My friend loved the doughnuts, so when I turned around I started doing a couple more and the power steering went out. Drove it home and popped the hood. The belt had jumped up on the edge of the pully. Put my ratchet on the tensioner and noticed it was worn out. Put the belt back on right and took the car around the block. Still no power steering.

I know it is going to need a tensioner and maybe a belt and power steering pump. With Christmas being this weekend I guess it will be two weeks before I can check it out.

red
    99 camaro

So when ya gonna part this one out... j/k.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    No you're not

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    No you're not
    Aw now, I got needs too...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

At least you didn't blow the rear...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have read other references on here to P/S issues and "donuts"... but not sure if I have ever heard what the underlying problem is. Subscribed.

OP: Despite this, I am happy to hear that you found yourself a replacement. Welcome back!

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Yeah, I think this one is still in fixable condition

the tensioner is completly shot. I can move it by hand. Is it likely that the belt is loose enough that it is causing the problem with the power steering or did I need to go ahead and plan on buying a new pump? While I was changing the oil I noticed what looked like a little power steering fluid on the metal line coming from the pump. I've had several cars where those leaked, just a little. I never fixed it, just kept an eye on the fluid level. If I'm changing the pump I guess I will be changing that also.

If I do need a pump is there any that are better than others, or just go to NAPA?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have read other references on here to P/S issues and "donuts"... but not sure if I have ever heard what the underlying problem is. Subscribed.

OP: Despite this, I am happy to hear that you found yourself a replacement. Welcome back!
    A PS pump @ full lock and high rpm is most likely the cause.. Keep it off the stoppers and it will prolly last..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-21-2010 at 05:37 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Honestly, I think you can get away with just the tensioner if the pump isn't damaged.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Is there an easy way to tell if the belt is slipping so much I have no power steering or if the oump is bad?

It's kinda hard to work on it during the week and Christmas this weekend so will probably be New Year's weekend before I can work on it and would like to have everything to fix it. But don't want to buy a pump if I don't need one.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you can move the tensioner by hand, then the tensioner should be replaced.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Yeah I know the tensioner is gone. It is the worst I've ever seen. But when I go buy my tensioner I would like to know if I need to buy a pump also. Is it likely the belt is slipping that much and not making nosie?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you want to be dangerous -- and I really DO NOT recommend this -- hold the tensioner with a breaker bar and socket so you can apply pressure to the belt while someone turns the steering wheel. That will tell you in a hurry if the pump is shot. It is the only way I know to test the pump pending replacement of the tensioner. Do not stand in line with the drive belt in case it comes off and/or breaks!

Obviously, if you slip off and stuff the breaker bar and/or socket into the belt you are going to potentially:

A) Launch projectiles around your garage and potentially suffer death or serious bodily injury;

B) Send the breaker bar and socket through your accessory drive system and cause lots and lots of damage to things;

C) Be drawn into the belt system and experience having your fingers or hands ripped from your body;

D) Rupture a coolant line and spew potentially scalding hot antifreeze all over you and your car; and/or,

E) Injure, maim or kill anyone, including yourself, dumb enough to watch while you do this.

Again... not recommended. Bolt on a new tensioner and see if your P/S works.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Most likely. Since there is no tension on the belt, the belt is either kicking itself off the tensioner and pump pulley.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you want to be dangerous -- and I really DO NOT recommend this -- hold the tensioner with a breaker bar and socket so you can apply pressure to the belt while someone turns the steering wheel. That will tell you in a hurry if the pump is shot. It is the only way I know to test the pump pending replacement of the tensioner. Do not stand in line with the drive belt in case it comes off and/or breaks!

Obviously, if you slip off and stuff the breaker bar and/or socket into the belt you are going to potentially:

A) Launch projectiles around your garage and potentially suffer death or serious bodily injury;

B) Send the breaker bar and socket through your accessory drive system and cause lots and lots of damage to things;

C) Be drawn into the belt system and experience having your fingers or hands ripped from your body;

D) Rupture a coolant line and spew potentially scalding hot antifreeze all over you and your car; and/or,

E) Injure, maim or kill anyone, including yourself, dumb enough to watch while you do this.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Spoken like a true lawyer.

And that is definitely 3 man job. One on the bar, one to check steering, and one to video, just in case.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I should be able to get the tensioner done one evening after work. Not tonight, but maybe wed or thurs.

If the power steering pump is bad . . .

I've never changed a power steering pump before. Doesn't look hard, but is there anything I need to know or look out for? Is there any brand better than others?

Calling NAPA now to see if they have a tensioner.

2000 Trans Am

Well let me throw my .02 in here....I had the same thing happen to my 2000 trans am a few years back with the power steering pump.....long story short, i was doing doughnuts next thing you know there was a "pop" and then no power steering.....turns out the pump had blown....but the story doesn't end there.......went through three alternators before changing out the power steering pump because the power steering fluid is directly above the alternator and leaked so it kept shorting it out so be wary of that! good luck either way!
    Last edited by clg82; 12-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Well let me throw my .02 in here....I had the same thing happen to my 2000 trans am a few years back with the power steering pump.....long story short, i was doing doughnuts next thing you know there was a "pop" and then no power steering.....turns out the pump had blown....but the story doesn't end there.......went through three alternators before changing out the power steering pump because the power steering fluid is directly above the alternator and leaked so it kept shorting it out so be wary of that! good luck either way!
    thanks, sounds like I need to do some cleaning to.

Thread Information