midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face All expected weakneses, repairs,problems!!

All owners LS1ers especially experiences, issues, repairs weaknesses, quality.
    I'd like to know as far as a reliable position, as far as dependable, as far as longevity, trouble free, ease or trouble to drive on a daily basis breakdowns , repairs, costs, ect?
    Like to know what items have a repair history related to driveability, dependability.
    In general how easy or hard are these cars to keep running dependably year after year?
    I mean how durable are these components parts cars put together?
    Assuming regualr maintenance is performed.
    Would anyowners think of them as bang for the buck?
    i mean do they break down so often that ya cant stand them?
    Do ya hate them cause their difficult to work on?
    Do ya hate em cause their so expensive to repair?
    Do ya hate em cause their so thirsty?
    List what ya luv about em !
    List wat ya hate about em!
    List if ya feel their good to own and why!
    List if ya regret ever buying one?
    List if its yer favorite car and why ?
    List if ya wish ya could sell it and why?
    List if and why you luv it and will never sell it?
    List if ya feel its economicaly sensible to drive daily?
    Is performance handling apperance worth the cost of ownership?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Well, I'll start by saying every car is different. One may never need work, and another never run right.
    Typical problem areas are the power windows, usually the passenger side. Easy fix with the Autotrix kit.
    Another is the door panels cracking. There is a thread on how to fix this.
    The stock 10 bolt rear is weak - might be a problem, might not.
    The stock torque arm is attached to the tailshaft of the tranny, and this has caused problems sometimes. An aftermarket torque arm will relocate it to the crossmember or floorpan.
    If you start adding power, as with most cars, you will find the weak links in the drivetrain.
    All in all, I'd say they are usually very reliable cars. Good power for the money. Easy to mod, depending on your mechanical ability.

red
    2000 Z28

If you're not racing it, the common issues people report are mostly PITA stuff that's not super expensive to fix youself, but still annoying. Window motors, front turn signal housings that melt/leak/short, crappy speakers, bad soldering on the BCM module, vacuum leaks from PCV hoses rotting, AIR system failures, bad cats, warping oem rotors, shitty shocks, bubbling through the paint on the sail panel. A lot of folks never have any problems, some have combinations, some have all of them.

As far as working on them, the back sparkplugs are a PITA, and headers aren't fun to do without a lift, but performance parts are cheap and widely available from a lot of really good, knowledgeable vendors.

All that being said, with regular maintenance driven on the street, most of these cars run forever. I bought mine in Apr. '09 with 62k miles on it and have 95k now. Other than a worn out driver's side window motor, my expenses have been regular maintenance/wear items or performace based.

My '00 Z28 T-top auto is 100% street driven (currently) 200-400 miles a week in Central. FL. I'll keep driving her until she blows up, then I'll rebuild her.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tremiles; 04-29-2011 at 11:41 PM.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

BCM= body control module?
    now arent they under hood on the right corner sticking up as yer in drivers seat?
    it looks like theres two of them?
    what cats aint expensive, and tires? how much ate the motors?
    wat about waterpump cost and repair difficulty?
    how about fuel pumps, hear ya got to drop the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    If you're not racing it, the common issues people report are mostly PITA stuff that's not super expensive to fix youself, but still annoying. Window motors, front turn signal housings that melt/leak/short, crappy speakers, bad soldering on the BCM module, vacuum leaks from PCV hoses rotting, AIR system failures, bad cats, warping oem rotors, shitty shocks, bubbling through the paint on the sail panel. A lot of folks never have any problems, some have combinations, some have all of them.

As far as working on them, the back sparkplugs are a PITA, and headers aren't fun to do without a lift, but performance parts are cheap and widely available from a lot of really good, knowledgeable vendors.

All that being said, with regular maintenance driven on the street, most of these cars run forever. I bought mine in Apr. '09 with 62k miles on it and have 95k now. Other than a worn out driver's side window motor, my expenses have been regular maintenance/wear items or performace based.

My '00 Z28 T-top auto is 100% street driven (currently) 200-400 miles a week in Central. FL. I'll keep driving her until she blows up, then I'll rebuild her.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

white
    1998 Z-28 camaro

I have a 98 Z-28 with just under 203,000 miles, almost everything OEM, spark plugs and everyday maintenance aside, fuel pump and drivers side window motor are the only things ive replaced. At that mileage I get 24 mpg and use 1/4 quart of oil between changes.(every 3000 miles w/ castrol edge synthetic)

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by lsruthles View Post
    I have a 98 Z-28 with just under 203,000 miles, almost everything OEM, spark plugs and everyday maintenance aside, fuel pump and drivers side window motor are the only things ive replaced. At that mileage I get 24 mpg and use 1/4 quart of oil between changes.(every 3000 miles w/ castrol edge synthetic)
    i get 14 mpg, just started driving it 74k miles i see a drop a oil already not sure how much oil between changes.
    i hope its just my paranoi a about such a newr car than my last. my last an 89 ford
    i mean their is more computer control on things , more o2 sensors power motors electric seat well hope im as lucky as you

Thread Information